daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Development and Business > Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy

Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy Οικονομία και Υποδομές | Economy & Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #1
sts

Likes (Received): 14

Αυτοκινητόδρομοι της Ελλάδας | Greek Highways

Hi greek friends,I'm looking for some pics of the new greek highways,'couse I've noticed that there's so many highway under construction all over Greece,so can you help me,please??Thank you!!
sts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 11th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
zafiris

Likes (Received): 0

Check this for Athens
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ghlight=athens

And this road which will connect Italy-Greece (by ferry) in video
http://www.egnatiaodos.officegate.gr...egnatia_en.wmv

In exchange I would like to see the new road tunnels in Rome.

Last edited by zafiris; January 11th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.
zafiris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
sts

Thanx zafiris!!
Here some pics of the new roman tunnel called Giovanni XIII:

Old January 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Christos7

Here are some pictures of a few of the new highways in Athens sts!

"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Christos7

"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #6
sts

Those pics are amazing!!,thank you Christos7!!!!
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Christos7

Does anybody have NEW pictures of the junctions and completed highways in Piraeus along the coast? I have pics where it is not completely finished, anybody have any?

That is another huge highway project that went on.

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #8
LtBk

Likes (Received): 707

So how many highways in Greece are in construction? And does anybody have an updated map of Greek highways?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 269

why is everyone so interested in this?
Old January 23rd, 2005, 04:09 AM   #10
Wizard04

Καλά πείτε τους τώρα ότι δίνουμε 5 Ευρώ για να μπούμε και να βγούμε από την Αττική οδό να πάθουνε συγκοπή.. lol
Wizard04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #11
Skaros

Likes (Received): 1

Peloponnese , Patras ring road (18 km , construction 2001)

Egnatia Highway
Connecting Epirus , Macedonia and Thrace (total 680 Km , by the end of 2004 480 finished)

Skaros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #12
sts

Great work skaros,do you have more pics??
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Christos7

My Italian friend sts, here are some more pics for you!

Rion Antirion Bridge

During Construction

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #14
Christos7

Some info on the Egnatia Highway

A modern closed motorway 680 kilometres long and 24.5 metres wide over the greatest part of its length following a new alignment and running across Epirus and Northern Greece from Igoumenitsa to Evros, the Egnatia Motorway is one of the largest road construction projects in Europe.

Nine major vertical axes connect the motorway with Albania , FYROM, Bulgaria and Turkey . Furthermore, 5 ports and 6 airports service the road.

A raft of tunnels, bridges and interchanges carry it across the Greek countryside.

On the threshold of the 21st century, one of the largest road construction projects being carried out in Greece (and, indeed, anywhere in Europe ) is the Egnatia Motorway, the modern reincarnation of the great Roman highway known as the Via Egnatia.

The 680 km Egnatia Motorway is a modern motorway that will probably be the only road (and by extension the only transport) link spanning Northern Greece from its western to its eastern border. From its starting-point at Igoumenitsa, it runs across the Prefectures of Thesprotia, Ioannina, Grevena, Kozani, Imathia, Thessaloniki , Serres, Kavala, Xanthi, Rodopi and Evros, to the village of Kipoi on the Turkish border.

Nine major vertical axes provide links to Albania , FYROM, Bulgaria and Turkey , and the whole system is served by 720 km of service roads.

The Egnatia Motorway was designed to the specifications of the Trans-European road network. It is a closed dual carriageway motorway with a central reserve, two traffic lanes plus an emergency lane per direction, for a total paved width of 24.5 metres over its greatest part, except for the road's mountainous sections.

What makes it one of the most interesting technical projects in Greece today is the number of structures needed to carry it across the countryside.

The realisation of this motorway requires the construction of:

1650 bridges, with a combined length of 40 km (or 80 km measured as single-carriageway bridges)

74 tunnels, with a combined length of 49,5 km (or 99 km measured as single-carriageway tunnels). Three of these tunnels are more than 3 km long: the Driskos Twin-Bore Tunnel, 4.7 km long per carriageway, the Dodoni Twin-Bore Tunnel, 3.4 km long per carriageway, and the Metsovo Single-Bore Tunnel, 3.5 km long, which is already constructed. The tunnels on the inland alignment Strymonas - Peramos are also included.

50 interchanges with the existing road network.

43 river crossings

11 railway crossings.

STRETCHING: From Igoumenitsa in the Prefecture of Thesprotia to Kipoi in the Prefecture of Evros

FOR A TOTAL LENGTH OF: 680 kilometres

SERVING THE REGIONS OF: Thesprotia - Ioannina - Grevena - Kozani - Imathia - Thessaloniki - Kavala - Xanthi - Rodopi - Evros

LINKED WITH THE BORDERS OF: Albania - FYROM - Bulgaria - Turkey, through nine major vertical axes

PASSING THROUGH THE TOWNS OF: Igoumenitsa - Ioannina - Metsovo - Grevena - Kozani - Veroia - Thessaloniki - Kavala - Xanthi - Komotini – Alexandroupolis

LINKED TO THE PORTS OF: Igoumenitsa - Thessaloniki - Kavala – Alexandroupolis

AND THE AIRPORTS OF: Ioannina - Kastoria - Kozani - Thessaloniki - Kavala – Alexandroupolis

PASSING NEAR: 332 communities

AND: 30 tourist areas and regions of particular interest

SERVING THE INDUSTRIAL ZONES OF: Ioannina - Florina - Edessa - Thessaloniki - Kilkis - Serres - Drama - Xanthi - Komotini - Alexandroupolis, either directly or by its vertical axes

PROPOSING AND FINANCING: Archaeological excavations, protection of monuments, environmental protection works (biotopes, etc.)

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Dual carriageway with two traffic lanes per direction, a central reserve and an emergency lane on the right.

THE AREA SERVED ACCOUNTS FOR:

36% of the country's total population
33% of its total gross national product
In the primary sector, 54% of total farmland and 65% of total irrigated land
In the secondary sector, 41% of total industrial employment, and
51% of total mining activity.

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Likes (Received): 7

PATHE (PATRA - ATHENS - THESSALONIKI - EVZONI) motorway

Virtual Greece

MACEDONIA:HELLENIC AND PROUD
Prometheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #16
Skaros

Thank you sts.
Some more photos
Patras ring road , North Peloponnese

Patras -Olympia national road
no barrier in the middle , around 10-12m width , old and bad design with many intersections on the same level of the road (main reason for the many accidents happening there every year)
But perhaps there is hope since it is announced that the next two years will begin the reconstruction of the national road Korinthos-Patras-Olympia after which this old road will change to a modern Motorway.
I will come back with more photos and details from the forgotten from the state the last 20 years (at least) Peloponnese and the road network which is totally inadequate for today.

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #17
Skaros

Some more from Peloponnisos road network:

Korinthos -Tripolis highway (Complited 10-15 years ago)

Near Tripolis

Artemissio Tunnel (1.8km)

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #18
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 6431

even though it will be very expencive you need to construct highway over those continental mountains to connect aegean and ionian sea.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #19
Wicky

Wow, this Egnatia highway project is impressive, but demanding - since a lot of countryside is hilly, the estacades and tunnels are necessity. Well, some countries with similar terrain are dealing with the same realities .
Wicky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #20
sts

Thanks a lot,my dear greek friends,good jobs,special thanx to Christos7 and skaros!!Now Greece has the most modern highways of all Europe!!Egnatia is a great and really difficoult project,congrats!!!!!That's the NEW Europe!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: