daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 23

LEICESTER | De Montfort University development masterplan | £310 million | ongoing

De Montfort University is also undergoing a transformation, with a masterplan and £310 million price tag. Plans include new departmental buildings, such as law and business, private accommodation, magazine piazza, plus much more.

See De Montfort university masterplan website link

Source: dmu.ac.uk

The first major development is around the historic Magazine Gatway, involving realigning the ring-road, a new arts centre, new law and business buildings and a piazza:

Source: dmu.ac.uk

There is a seperate thread for the above development

Last edited by Leicity82; August 8th, 2007 at 07:24 PM.
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 40

I thought the De Monftfort University Masterplan had a £310 million price tag?
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

No that's more Leicester Uni's figure- the DMU website states £170 million.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Lears City
Look there, look there!

That is part one of the scheme. The whole scheme totals £310 million.

See the presentation - click Read Only

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Images/Future_D...tcm2-45183.ppt

Here is a screen shot

image hosted on flickr
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Oh I do apologise - that's even better then - over £600 million to be spent in total on higher education in Leicester, not many places can boast such an amount.

I'll amend the thread title.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Found this video on YouTube about the new Law and Business buildings:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=paeDyusXEIg

I tried to embed the video, but it doesn't work.

Last edited by Leicity82; August 23rd, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs06 View Post
Found this video on YouTube about the new Law and Business buildings:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=paeDyusXEIg

I tried to embed the video, but it doesn't work.
If you use the following code - you can embed a youtube video in the forum.

Use an opening BBCode tag [YOUTUBE] and remember to close it in the same way use would with [/IMG] for an image.

You only need to include the bit from the youtube url, that idenifies the video - the bit after the = sign. In this case paeDyusXEIg. Result below...

Old August 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Thanks for that - as when I tried all I got was a blank screen.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #9
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

It looks like the DMU Art and Business building is going to get approval next week, according to today's Mercury.
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #10
candida

Likes (Received): 1

I think it's just the Business and Law school that is getting approval next week. The Art Faculty is getting built next to the canal at a later point.
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candida View Post
I think it's just the Business and Law school that is getting approval next week. The Art Faculty is getting built next to the canal at a later point.
Sorry that's what I meant-I keep on getting them both mixed up for some weird reason .
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

From today's Mercury:

Quote:
£35M UNIVERSITY FACULTY GIVEN GO-AHEAD

10:30 - 06 September 2007

University bosses have been given the go-ahead to build a £35 million business and law building.

The De Montfort University scheme will form part of the regeneration of the area around the Magazine in Leicester.

Construction work is due to start next spring and the building should be open to students in September the following year.

A spokesman for the university said: "We are delighted that the city council has given De Montfort University the go-ahead for the new Business and Law building.

"It will build on our investment in the campus for our students and staff and will give them the best possible facilities.

"The new building will provide a landmark entrance between the campus and city centre, and will further support the regeneration of this part of Leicester."

City councillors approved the plan this week.

The faculty will be environmentally friendly and boast lecture theatres, meeting rooms, a mock court, law library, ICT facilities and a postgraduate and professional suite.

There will be public atriums and "winter gardens" to allow light and air into the building. It will house a cafe and bookshop.

Part of the faculty will be built on land that is currently the inner ring road.

The road is being moved to one side of the 15th century Magazine, in Oxford Street.

Other areas will be pedestrianised as part of a tree-lined plaza, to be known as Magazine Square.

Completion of the roadworks around the Magazine is expected by the end of November.

The university's £330 million development vision also includes a swimming pool and doctors' surgery, both of which would be open to the public.

A £6 million sports centre is set to be built in Duns Lane, along with a £5 million health centre in Grasmere Street.

There is also a £5.6 million project to buy and refurbish the William Baker building, in The Newarke. The nearby Portland building would get a £1.8 million redevelopment.

Another major project will be the construction of a £40 million art and design building on the waterside.
Leicester Mercury website, Sept 6th, 2007
Old September 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #13
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 0

the mercurys crap, there regenration bit just keeps repeating the same things over and over agian until im so fed of reading the same project that i end up hating it and not wanting it built
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #14
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

The sports centre will no doubt require demolition of the Pump & Tap I am the envy of many having this as my local and I don't want it to go the same way as the Magazine which now has bloody student flats where it once stood there aren't many real ale pubs left especially ones with all the history and still retaining some of its original character, and home to regulars who have called it home for a lot longer than I've lived in this area

BG
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG101 View Post
The sports centre will no doubt require demolition of the Pump & Tap I am the envy of many having this as my local and I don't want it to go the same way as the Magazine which now has bloody student flats where it once stood there aren't many real ale pubs left especially ones with all the history and still retaining some of its original character, and home to regulars who have called it home for a lot longer than I've lived in this area

BG
I agree about the flats; they aren't exactly unique are they and kind of spoil the feel of Newarke Street.

Whenever I hear of a student accommodation development, my heart actually sinks as there is no doubt as to the type of building proposed - a generic plasticy, boxy, bricky, with a glass stairwell part to add for good measure building.
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #16
Lears City
Look there, look there!

From the Leicester Mercury today:
Quote:
Drinkers are launching an internet campaign to save an historic pub from being demolished to make way for a £6 million sports centre.

Time could be called on the Pump and Tap, in Braunstone Gate, Leicester, if the nearby Bowstring Bridge is knocked down.

De Montfort University, which owns the pub, said a decision would be made when the city council decides on the bridge's future.

Removal could clear the way for a £6 million sports centre, including a swimming pool.

However, so far more than 200 people have joined a website campaign to save the bridge and the pub.

A Save the Pump and Tap and Braunstone Gate Bridge group has been set up on social networking site Facebook.

Lee Mullen, of Leicester, who is leading the group, has written to De Montfort University, the city council and MPs.

He said: "I am confident there will be over 1,000 members within a week.

"To destroy the bridge, viaduct and perhaps the pub would be a grave error of judgment.

"For too long, Leicester's council and planners have undervalued the architectural heritage of this 2,000-year-old city.

"Our industrial history is a rich part of this and cannot be replaced once destroyed. We should embrace it."

He has suggested that the university's former student union site could be used for the sports centre.

Rebecca Lunn, from Leicester, said: "I support the use of the old student union building land as the better option for a swimming pool.

"That way, we get to save the bridge and the legendary drinking establishment that is the Pump and Tap."

Rhona Howie, a regular, said: "The Pump and Tap is an institution in the West End.

"It was here when the area was relatively run down and, as more bars cropped up in Braunstone Gate, it has continued to have a fantastic atmosphere.

"It would be a tragedy if it was replaced with a swimming pool. I hope the bridge stays, too."

The Bowstring Bridge has been earmarked for demolition since engineers discovered it could barely support its own weight.

A De Montfort University spokeswoman said: "We own the Pump and Tap but no decision will be made on its future until the outcome of the Bowstring Bridge application."

The pub's licensees were unavailable for comment today.

Leicester Civic Society and railway enthusiasts have been campaigning to save the former Great Central Railway bridge since a proposal to demolish it several years ago.

The council agreed to demolish the bridge in 2006 - but its plans were put on hold when it emerged it needed legal permission to close a footpath.

The council expects to get the necessary order next month.
Might be worth getting those Facebook people to join in our Arena petition (tell them a swimming pool would be better at a new arena complex). I can't access Facebook at work, so will need to look at it tonight.
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #17
d4mo85
Tent-based twattery.

Likes (Received): 8

Another quick shot from me; this time the development area infront of the Hawthorne Building and next to the Magazine/Ringroad.. again, sorry for the poor quality!

This area is going to be totally unrecognisable in a couple of years.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

I'm not too sure what to think about the new DMU Performing Arts Centre.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #19
d4mo85
Tent-based twattery.

Likes (Received): 8

Looks out of place because it's sticking out like a sore thumb. Once the area is finished it will look fine i'm sure.
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #20
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 0

i hope they do knock down the pump and tap, its a fucking hovel, and itd be quite funny to see locals lose there pub

no im just being a twat, why cant they incorporate the building into the new sports arena? thats wot they did wiv the cricketers pub in nottingham, they built it into the new ice rink.

is the pump and tap being knocked down any way? or is it just people jumping to conclusions without bothering to find out the facts
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: