search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #2601
redspork02

Likes (Received): 733

http://abc7.com/news/la-mayor-consid...-sign/1962649/

Mayor Garcetti considers gondola from Universal Studios to Hollywood sign

Saturday, May 06, 2017 06:54PM

HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
According to a recent interview with Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, residents and tourists may someday get to ride a gondola up to the Hollywood sign.

Garcetti told Eyewitness Newsmakers that he is looking at new ways to gain access to one of the city's most famous landmarks after the recent closure of the Beachwood Drive gateway.

The gondola would go right up to the summit with visitors possibly boarding it at or near Universal Studios.

"I think we need to have access to the Hollywood sign, both for residents and people who come here," Garcetti said. "We've got to figure out a better way that doesn't just choke all of the streets with a thousand tour buses. People can't get out of their own driveways."

The mayor said revenue from the gondola rides could be used for traffic mitigation in neighborhoods around the Hollywood sign and for improving the park.

------------------------------------------------------------------
A Gondola from Universal Studios to the Hollywood Sign? It Could Happen

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/lo...ollywood-sign/

The other kind of gondola

May 8, 2017 Thomas Harlander

So we’re all sad that the Beachwood Drive access to the Hollywood sign is closed because it means we have to take the long way around, and that involves a decent quad workout, which sounds hard. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Mayor Eric Garcetti is considering building a gondola that would transport passengers directly to the summit of Mount Lee, right behind the Hollywood sign. Riders would likely board near Universal Studios and be swooped into the air with a great view over Lake Hollywood—no exercise required. The aerial tram would be both a tourist attraction in itself and a way of reducing traffic in neighborhoods near the sign.

“I think we need to have access to the Hollywood sign, both for residents and people who come here,” Garcetti told Eyewitness News. “We’ve got to figure out a better way that doesn’t just choke all of the streets with a thousand tour buses. People can’t get out of their own driveways.”

Would a gondola actually reduce traffic in neighborhoods near the Hollywood sign? Who’s to say? Would it make us feel more awesome about ourselves as a city? Absolutely.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #2602
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

I need more info. A gondola has a station at point A and B. What sort of infrastructure would there be on Mt. Lee? I like the idea, but I definitely don't want a Starbucks on top of Mt. Lee.

redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #2603
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I need more info. A gondola has a station at point A and B. What sort of infrastructure would there be on Mt. Lee? I like the idea, but I definitely don't want a Starbucks on top of Mt. Lee.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

I see point A at Universal....They (Universal) could get in on this. Of course, they would want a cut. Do with point A what they wish....as long as they share the costs and/or maintenance. Point B should be as simple as possible as to not mess with the ecology and scenic views. Most likely, it will be (if) on the valley side of Mt. Lee. out of view from the Basin side.....

A 'private/public partnership'.....

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #2604
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3392

That would be quite a coup for Universal to make the only access to the Hollywood Sign into a paid park attraction. My guess is that Garcetti wouldn't allow Uni to require a pass to Universal Studios to ride the gondola... but I can definitely see them doing a "park hopper" style package deal.

I'd guess Point A would be located further down, adjacent to the Red Line station for easier access to more tourists. Passing right over the theme park would be a pretty awesome form of free advertising: "Didn't it look like a good time down there while you were soaring over Hogwarts? Well you're in luck because your gondola ticket is good for a $15 discount on a Universal Studios day pass." Or conversely, while you're out and about at the park, watching people fly overhead on their way to the Hollywood Sign would make buying a gondola ticket pretty enticing.

redspork02 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #2605
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
That would be quite a coup for Universal to make the only access to the Hollywood Sign into a paid park attraction. My guess is that Garcetti wouldn't allow Uni to require a pass to Universal Studios to ride the gondola... but I can definitely see them doing a "park hopper" style package deal.
I agree with you. I wouldn't mind it being a paid attraction on its own but it would have to be outside the theme park paid area. I wouldn't want anyone to have to pay for theme park access just to get to the gondola. Uni has a win\win scenario (if the offer is taken (speculation)) charge parking, charge admission/ more tourist to city walk......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I'd guess Point A would be located further down, adjacent to the Red Line station for easier access to more tourists. Passing right over the theme park would be a pretty awesome form of free advertising: "Didn't it look like a good time down there while you were soaring over Hogwarts? Well you're in luck because your gondola ticket is good for a $15 discount on a Universal Studios day pass." Or conversely, while you're out and about at the park, watching people fly overhead on their way to the Hollywood Sign would make buying a gondola ticket pretty enticing.
Yeah, This would be cool. But I think the Red Line area makes it farther and more expensive. The area of concern are the homes along Barham Blvd. Maybe a low level gondola ride, thru the area with Eucalyptus or pine trees covering the view of the homes until it gets going uphill near the Wonder View Trail head.....

MarshallKnight liked this post

Last edited by redspork02; May 10th, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2606
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

The question still beckons, point B at Mt. Lee would be throngs of people.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #2607
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
The question still beckons, point B at Mt. Lee would be throngs of people.

I'd wager they will do timed tickets (like you have at observation decks) to limit the number of people up there at once.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #2608
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 221

No hardhat or miner’s light required: A 360 video tour of a Los Angeles subway under construction

No hardhat or miner’s light required: A 360 video tour of a Los Angeles subway under construction
- from The Source

https://youtu.be/EFvQfuqqqTE

Last edited by etooley1985; May 15th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles