search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #15361
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 10253

Algeria - Tunisia, Oum Theboul checkpoint, Province of El Taref, Algeria.

Quote:
3 days ago

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM

SRC_100, pai nosso liked this post
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #15362
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
@Kpc21 this one is also very interesting example. Looking at the house and its land on the right I wonder in which country belongs. I don't know about the cross border laws in these open border examples.
Definitely this home in the depths is on the Czech side, because under the roof there is car with a Czech license plate and the border runs in that thin ditch.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #15363
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 4933

I would say, it's a few tens of cm next to the ditch. Why? The position of the border stone.

Anyway, the most interesting thing here is this waste container A really international and Schengen one

How is it with the waste containers in the Czech Republic? Do you typically own one or is it delivered by the waste collection company? Or does it depend on the municipality/company, like in Poland?

Maybe the owner of this Czech booth bought this container from a Pole...
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #15364
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 191

The tripoint between Romania, Hungary and Serbia is open only one weekend every year (today and tomorrow) and used as a temporarily crossing point. Serbia is not in the EU and Romania not in the Schengen space.
Sorry, the video is in Romanian, but you can see a part of the "famous" wall raised by Hungary at its Serbian border.

Kpc21, bogdymol liked this post
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #15365
alserrod
Bienvenue ą Saragosse

Do they open it for touristic issues at the same time they offer all custom services there?

(Meditaciones de Severino el sordo. José A. Labordeta)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #15366
haddockman

Likes (Received): 4

I doubt you can legally cross there.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #15367
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Do I get it well that the name "Brod" came from a word meaning "a place of crossing the river (without using a bridge)"? Then it's meaning will be even older than the bridge
Yes, it's basically a Slavic word for "ford", meaning a shallow river crossing. There's even some places called BrĆ³d in Poland.

Quote:
Interestingly, I cannot find such examples at the eastern Polish border. Terespol and Brest are closest to each other, but looking at a map, they seem to be two totally separate towns on both banks of the river. And to have been them also historically.
From what I know, the Eastern border was drawn quite carefully to avoid these problems. However, it's not totally the case - I'm pretty sure Sianki in Bieszczady was split between Poland and the USSR after the war, although it's not a water border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #15368
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Yes, it's basically a Slavic word for "ford", meaning a shallow river crossing. There's even some places called BrĆ³d in Poland.
There is a part of Warsaw called Bródno, it comes from it too.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #15369
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Do they open it for touristic issues at the same time they offer all custom services there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
I doubt you can legally cross there.
You can legally cross there one weekend per year, that's all. There is a passport/ID card control though. For the rest of the year it looks like that. As you can see, the road is paved on the Romanian side.

There are some pictures of the tripoint on Google Maps, and the exact place is here.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #15370
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
"Brod" also means ship or vessel.
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #15371
Kpc21

In Macedonian, I understand. It's well to know - it makes some sense concerning it's origin and the verb "brodzić" (or however it looks like in other Slavic languages).

Wiktionary says that this word means ship also in Serbo-Croatian, or actually, I believe, in the languages which appeared at the moment of the breakup of Yugoslavia.

I am still not really getting how it is with the Serbo-Croatian and the all the local languages. I know that those areas constitute a dialectal continuum, that the language spoken by the local people slightly changes when you move from place to place, and the further someone goes, the more difficult it it to understand others. A similar situation is in Scandinavia. But a language is also a set of words and grammatical rules which constitute it's "official" version, which is used in books, newspapers, in all the media like radio or TV (at least in those countrywide ones) or for lectures at universities. So... Serbo-Croatian was used for those purposes till the breakup of Yugoslavia, and... when the new countries appeared, how did people from each of them know, how the "official" version of their language should look like and differ from the languages of other former Yugoslavia countries? Does anyone still use Serbo-Croatian there, or it's a dead language, replaced by Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian and other languages, which are similar to each other, but have some differences? I understand that none of those languages in its "official" form is used by the people for everyday conversations, they use their local dialects (which is different from Poland, for example, where the meaning of dialects is very little and people normally use the same language as the media in conversations). But it's must be somehow known that, for example, A is the proper word for something in Croatian, and Slovenian has a different word for it - B, how the language should be correctly pronounced, what are the spelling rules and so on.

And another interesting thing is the existence and meaning of dialects in the language at all. Like in Polish, as I already wrote, at least in most of the area of the country, speaking the dialect is something like wearing folk costumes and dancing folk dances. It's a more culture-related thing, not used in practice. Of course, there are some very minor differences in pronunciation, or different words used for some things in different parts of the country (the most notable example is the word for a big wheat-only bread - it's like the word for a doughnut in German, it's different in each city), but there is really few of them, and if I am supposed to talk to someone from the other end of the country, I usually won't notice it at all.

And, supposedly (maybe I am wrong), in Scandinavia or in former Yugoslavia, a person from one end of the country will normally speak visibly different from someone from the other end, and they may even have troubles understanding themselves.

Last edited by Kpc21; Today at 12:57 AM.
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #15372
reyan.tm
reyan.tm

Likes (Received): 33

Borders between Indonesia and Malaysia in Borneo Island

PLBN (Border Checkpoint) Aruk located in Sambas, West Kalimantan(Borneo)

Source

PLBN (Border Checkpoint) Entikong located in Sanggau, West Kalimantan (Borneo)

Source

Skip to 1:10

PLBN (Border Checkpoint) Badau located in Kapuas Hulu, West Kalimantan (Borneo)

Corvinus liked this post
reyan.tm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:10 AM   #15373
reyan.tm
reyan.tm

Likes (Received): 33

Borders Between Indonesia and East Timor in Timor Island

PLBN (Border Checkpoint) Motaain located in Belu, East Nusa Tenggara

source

PLBN (Border CHeckpoint) Motamasin located in Malaka, East Nusa Tenggara

source

PLBN (Border Checkpoint) Wini located in Wini, East Nusa Timor