daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #61
Mansardroof

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
Sorry, the Garage got their hands on the one on the right in the image above, but on the plus side the one on the left is part of the Royal Highland Fusiliers museum, and there's one further along the street that has been used very tastefully as part of the Centre for Contemporary Arts.

oh those fiends at the Garage. Is that the cca?? it looks like that building that Limmy used on that sketch where he was running to catch up with the person who was holding the door open for him!
Mansardroof no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #62
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansardroof View Post
oh those fiends at the Garage. Is that the cca?? it looks like that building that Limmy used on that sketch where he was running to catch up with the person who was holding the door open for him!
Yep, that is inside the CCA, I think theres an cafe/bar on the ground level so you can actually sit in the space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweet Zombie Jesus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #63
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanroney View Post
I had the pleasure of climbing Suilven this summer; given that I grew up in Lochinver, it's a travesty that I waited until my early 30's to do it! Some pictures:
Do you know James Graham?

P.S, best beach in the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #64
allanroney

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Do you know James Graham?

P.S, best beach in the world.
I sure do; he's a year younger than me, we went to school together.

allanroney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #65
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanroney View Post
I sure do; he's a year younger than me, we went to school together.
Abair seinneadair! One of the best in the Highlands at the moment, very nice wester Ross singing. I've been to Lochinver a fair few times, the hills and beaches of the area are truly amazing, Stac Pollaidh would deserve a place amongst the wonders of Scotland in my opinion

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #66
Ianjds

Likes (Received): 4

Edinburgh castle and the forth rail bridge for me
Ianjds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:57 PM   #67
Tinkerfairy

Absolutely Stunning Pictures!!!

I am new to this forum, and for some reason I cannot start a new thread,
each time I try I am told to post > 10 posts....

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but can some one please assist me in how I can start a new thread ...

I will be coming to Scotland in the next few months, and have some very "newbie" questions, and I would really appreciate the advice ..

Thank you all in advance
Tinkerfairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #68
Moschops

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerfairy View Post
Absolutely Stunning Pictures!!!

I am new to this forum, and for some reason I cannot start a new thread,
each time I try I am told to post > 10 posts....

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but can some one please assist me in how I can start a new thread ...

I will be coming to Scotland in the next few months, and have some very "newbie" questions, and I would really appreciate the advice ..

Thank you all in advance
Welcome to the forum!

The 10-post minimum is just to prevent spambots - it shouldn't take you too long to make another 7 posts and then you'll be able to create threads and post links etc.

What do you want to know and where will you be moving to? The Glasgow forum is the busiest section of the Scottish forum so if you're moving to the west coast your best bet would probably be to ask in the Glasgow Skybar thread.

Tinkerfairy liked this post
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #69
Tinkerfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moschops View Post
Welcome to the forum!

The 10-post minimum is just to prevent spambots - it shouldn't take you too long to make another 7 posts and then you'll be able to create threads and post links etc.

What do you want to know and where will you be moving to? The Glasgow forum is the busiest section of the Scottish forum so if you're moving to the west coast your best bet would probably be to ask in the Glasgow Skybar thread.
Hi

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it

My husband, myself and 3.5 year old little girl will be moving to Glasgow.

We want to live in East Renfrewshire, have read that this is a nice area with good schools, community etc.

What I would like to know is, what is the typical cost of living like in Glasgow. What would in your opinion be a nice CTC to live comfortably, not extravagant but just comfortable? Even if I get a general gauge it will help to give me a sort of bench mark?
Sorry I know this is such a broad question, but I am trying to find general household budgets on the internet, but most that I found are dated.

Are there any hidden expenses with regard to housing, insurance that is Scotland specific and something that I need to take cognizance off?

Also generally speaking is there much of a language barrier in terms of Glaswegian English (pronunciation) and English...many websites I have read said contrasting information.

As you can see, my thoughts are so scattered right now, and actually any advice is welcome
Tinkerfairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #70
Moschops

Quote:
Hi

We want to live in East Renfrewshire, have read that this is a nice area with good schools, community etc.

What I would like to know is, what is the typical cost of living like in Glasgow. What would in your opinion be a nice CTC to live comfortably, not extravagant but just comfortable? Even if I get a general gauge it will help to give me a sort of bench mark?
Sorry I know this is such a broad question, but I am trying to find general household budgets on the internet, but most that I found are dated.

Are there any hidden expenses with regard to housing, insurance that is Scotland specific and something that I need to take cognizance off?

Also generally speaking is there much of a language barrier in terms of Glaswegian English (pronunciation) and English...many websites I have read said contrasting information.

As you can see, my thoughts are so scattered right now, and actually any advice is welcome
I'm an east coast boy so am probably not the best person to answer questions about Glasgow, but if you try asking in the Glasgow skybar thread I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

I'm not familiar with the term CTC, but if you're asking about average salaries you can find a graphic from one of the bigger job websites dating from last December here which gives average salaries for different sectors for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

And I wouldn't worry about a language barrier - everwhere has an accent, I'm sure you'll adapt quickly enough!
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #71
kramer81

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Hi

Welcome. Are you moving from elsewhere in the UK or from abroad?

If you are a native English speaker there shouldn't be any problem with language. Otherwise it's just a case of getting used to the accent.

Household budget should be similar to anywhere else in the UK, obviously buying or renting a property is a lot cheaper than London for example. Look on rightmove.co.uk or s1homes.com for an idea of property prices.

The are a couple of other housing expenses to consider. Council tax is between approx £1000 to £3000 per year http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/?articleid=4722. If you are living in a flat then you will likely need to pay a maintenance charge to a factor. This may be as low as £30 a month or so for a traditional tenement, or as high as £200 a month in a modern apartment building with lifts and grass to cut etc.
kramer81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #72
TimothyR

Likes (Received): 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David View Post
Indeed, bravo
Edinburgh: Everything within a 1 mile radius of the Walter Scott "Rocket" (I know, I know, it's so vague, but that whole area and everything in it combines to create one of Europe's finest set-pieces: the view you get walking past the Balmoral and looking out over the valley and everything around you is just mesmerizing) (photo: sparky2000)
This is absolutely stunning.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #73
TimothyR

Likes (Received): 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Anyway, the West Highland Line has to be one of Scotland's wonders!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
It looks like being a passenger and seeing that setting would be a wonder in itself

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM   #74
R.K.Teck

The Great Polish Map of Scotland

I had never heard of this before. Absolutely amazing hidden gem on Secret Britain (BBC1) which is traipsing round Scotland the now.

In the grounds of the Barony Castle Hotel near Peebles, is the brainchild of a Polish war vetaren called Jan Tomasik: a 1:10000 3D map of Scotland which was started in the 1970s, but which fell into abandonment and became overgrown.

Now there is a group of volunteers who are cleaning it up, and finishing the grand plans. They will eventually flood the thing so the sea and land are properly shown.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

indiekid, Gommsta, grumpyom liked this post
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #75
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 60

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/94662...ilsa_craig.jpg

http://www.richardchildsphotography....st-468x632.jpg - Richard Childs
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote