SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Vibe of Galway City

7K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Cpt.Magic 
#1 ·
A litte tour through Galway city on a sunny day.Busy spot with shoppers,tourists,street performers...always get a good vibe when I visit.

Thats all folks.

See less See more
#7 ·
I think that one of the main factors contributing to Galway's cool, artistic and bohemian vibe is its relative youth compared to other Irish cities. While Ireland overall is a very youthful society (the youngest country in Europe when you compare the population under 15 to that over 65), Galway is a youthful city within it where its denizens were a fresh-faced 33.4 in 2006 compared to the national average 36.1 in 2011. This means that there is a preponderance of children, teenagers and young adults (many of whom are students) in the population which affects the character of the city, the services and amenities offered and the social life. Other young people from around the world are drawn to this Tír na nÓg and we get the fashionable burgh that we know and love.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Cork City is the oldest local authority in the country with an average age of 38.7. Perhaps this explains why, though my visits to the third city of Ireland were nice, the place lacked a bit of the brio and drive of other places in Ireland. It seems a bit more sedate than other places in Ireland.

#8 ·

Thanks people...@Dvb.....you have a point.i think Galway also has a small
city centre which for me could be compared to that of Ennis town centre.
It has that small town feel and always looks busy.Limerick has a larger city centre but most of the streets feel empty and everything is spread out.As for
Cork..I like the city and there is loads to see and explore,I have only walked around once but there is so many nice builldings all over the town,the place really needs a few trips in order to get a feel for the city

https://www.facebook.com/Patrickgalvinphotography

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.