SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Irish Rugby Thread

74K views 438 replies 21 participants last post by  Dvblvnia 
#1 ·
IRISH RUGBY
I thought it would be good to have a thread about Irish rugby. Its one of the things Ireland is good at.
Irish rugby is at a high today as Leinster, Munster and Ulster have made it to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup and an Irish team could go all the way and win it. Plus with the Six Nations coming up soon we have a good chance to win the Grand Slam if we beat Wales at the Aviva in the first fixture.

#195 ·
Very disappointing result - it was a close match which we could have taken, particularly when ROG could've kicked a penalty down the line and put us in a position to score a try. Instead he went for the posts and missed which I feel was the moment in which the match was lost for us. It's also annoying to lose our winning streak at home to England. France better come back fighting in London and keep the championship on for us.

#197 ·
Pretty gutted! Not unexpected though, England had an easier opening game and it has to be said looked a far leaner and fitter side.

The next couple of games against France and Wales could be crucial for everybody...should England loose either of these then the race is wide open!

Just to pick up on what was said above....I was at the Leinster Clermont game and Leinster were fairly dire. They are begining to come good in the league but I just have a feeling they will have another slip up before seasons end!

#198 ·
What a weekend for Irish rugby! First, congratulations must go to the women's team for securing their first ever (?) Triple Crown and putting themselves in pole position to win a Grand Slam. Perhaps they can do for women's rugby what Katie Taylor is doing for women's boxing and bring it up towards the level of attention of men's. Secondly, it's hard to believe that we're 3 weekends into the Six Nations and France are at the bottom of the table with nul pointes. I really thought they'd put together a quality team and probably had a good thrashing out of their problems in training over the last two weeks. Turns out they haven't really and it doesn't seem as if they care about winning. We can only hope that this attitude persists for our match and we too can get a win over them and leave them on course for a Wooden Spoon. Wales Italy was a quite a drab affair with the rain in Rome hardly helping matters. I'm really disappointed to see the spirit which saw them get a famous victory over France evaporate as time goes by (especially when it gives Wales a better shot at the championship than us). I'm also struck by the collapse in the Italian scrum. In times gone by, even when Italy was worse than they are now, they have had a good scrum. They were bossed in that department today which I found surprising. Lastly, in club matters, c'mon Leinster! Shorn of pretty much all international players (except Madigan who really should be on the bench tomorrow) they produced a sterling display of why they are the best club side in Europe. Lots of discipline, excellent skills, buckets of belief and the desire and ability to go for the TBP at the death made for a resounding end to a busy day of rugby. Now that Ulster have lost again (commiserations belfastuniguy, citybus, thevanishin etc.) we have a chance to top the league again this year.

#199 ·
Well, thats the end of that for another year:( Genuinely not looking forward to France or indeed Italy for that matter. Words are inadecute to describe how abject the Irish performance was at all levels. There is talk today that sporting history was made, it was the first time a team with over 80% possession managed to lose.

I feel bad for Jackson as I have no doubt he will get alot of the blame. His kicking was undoubtedly poor, but, other aspects of his game weren't bad are argueably he shouldn't have been played given thats he's not even first choice Ulster fly half. I feel sorry for the lad as this debut won't hold happy memories. On that point, this was a rather big game to blood a new player in!

O'Gara 10mins on the pitch managed to make Jacksons kicks look good. He has been a great servant of Irish Rugby in the past but now I think he is past it. The consensus seems to think Madigan or McFadden should be the bench kickers in the event that something happens to Sexton. I also felt Heaslips Captaincy must be in question, he is too anonymous for the roll. Amongst the other players, there really weren't any who had a good game....Rory Best was appalingly bad at the line-out!

The one bright spot was Gilroy....again! Definately the wave of the future!

In short, Kidneys contract is up at the end of the 6 Nations, it should not be renewed. I like the guy, I think he's a nice honest decent man but with many of the old guard players, the golden generation who never quite lived up to their potential retiring, I think we need new leadership for the cold wind of change that will blow through the Ireland camp. Remember 2015 is not that far away!

C

#201 ·
Agree with you on all but a couple of points. Ireland's display was just abject. How is it possible for a team to have so much possession and territory, but not score?
I thought Madigan should have started this week with Jackson on the bench, and I still think that would be the best selection for the next game. RoG has been past it for ages. He was a great player in his day and has done loads for Irish rugby, but he's simply not good enough for International or Heineken Cup rugby anymore.
I thought Gilroy was anonymous, but I think Marshall was by far our best player. I've been a fan of him for a while, but I think yesterday he really put himself up for selection ahead of Darcy.
The one positive outcome from this game is that Kidney will almost certainly not get another contract. I don't know who will replace him, but he needs to go. He has an atrocious win-loss ration and has refused to give players caps unless forced by injury.

#200 ·
On another note, it isn't all doom and gloom. I came accross this proposed development by Connaght Rugby for the Showgrounds in Galway:

http://www.3dgraphichouse.ie/index....anager,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01property_id=80

It will be done in 2 phases with the covered terrace being built first followed by the cantileavered seating above.

It looks very good for a team of Connaghts size. However, in the long term the Showgrounds has limited potential for growth. The overall site is very irregular, both engs are very hemmed in by a road and houses and even the existing main Greyhound stand juts into a housing estate directly behind and can't be extended. The other option in Galway is Terryland Park, especially given Galway United are in financial dire Straights.However, in typical Irish fashion, even though Terryland Park is in a less built up area they somewho contrived to build new houses so close to the existing stands so that there is minimal room to expand!

#206 ·
Leinster are in fine form in the RaboPro12 at the minute. We've had three try bonus point wins in a row which put us top of the try-scoring table. We've also raced up from fifth to within striking distance of the top spot. It proves that even three Heineken Cup medals haven't sated the appetite of many experienced Leinster players and that there is serious quality coming through from the Academy. I really hope Joe Schmidt stays till at least 2015 to bed in that crop of players and establish irrevocably the playing style, commitment to excellence in precision and boundless ambition necessary to keep Leinster up there at the top of European club rugby. I think I can live with us being out of the Heineken Cup if we top the Rabo, finally win the damn cup in the knockout stages and win the Amlin as well. Oh, and humiliate the Ospreys while we're at it. Those Welsh nuisances are due a mullering by us. We can always win the Heineken Cup next year!

I must commiserate with our Ulster compatriots on this forum on the draw with Benetton Treviso. Between injuries and call-ups to international duty your team has been stretched which is not what you'd want in the run in to the final stages of both domestic and European competitions. As a Leinster fan who went through this last Autumn and early Winter, I sympathise. We struggled badly and we have an even deeper panel than you. Still, you should be in the top 4 of the Rabo come the end of the league and Saracens are definitely beatable. We had them in our Heineken Cup group and they were nothing special. Clermont schooled them en route to meeting us last year in the semis so you have a great chance to do the same this year. I have tickets to the final in Lansdowne and since I can't get a reprise of last year's final which would've been brilliant, I hope yourselves and Clermont get to it. That would be a great match which would bring a fitting conclusion to Europe's premier rugby competition.

#207 ·
Nice sumation there Dvb!!

Yep, its looking good for Leinster. Currently in third and unlucky not to be second. With 5 games or so left and no Heiniken Cup to distract us I think we are the clear favourites. We should have won last year if it wasn't for Ospreys and a bloody awful referee....so it will be all the sweeter this year. I am going to try to get to another game in the next few weeks, the last game I was at was Clermont....the less said about that the better:)

Just looking at the Pro-12 table the most striking thing is the rise of Glasgow, at a time when Scottish Rugby has been going through a very bad patch. I think they will fade a bit towards the end, but a top 2/3 finish is assured. Likewise, Treviso looked hugely impressive against Ulster and even moreso against Munster. They will probably finish in the top half of the table which when you consider that they are a recent entrant is a great achievement.

I watched the Ulster match the other night and I was impressed by their performance. With internationals back in the fold and injuries sorted I think they will make good progress in the Heiniken. Much like Leinster, the depth of talent being developed in the underaged squads is going to prove invaluable. Also, the new stands in Ravenhill are shooting up.....at the rate they seem to be going you'd almost expect paying spectators to be taking their seats before seasons end!! Lastly, why in gods name can Trimble not break into the Irish squad!!!!!!!!!

BTW, all my friends in London think the mighty Quins are going to take Munster!

C

#209 ·
What a dreadful match. We had a golden opportunity to beat France and start chipping away the aura of invincibility they have around us and we fumble it. There were a number of times we were in their half and 22 and didn't get a scoring opportunity either from a drop goal, penalty or try. Considering how terrible France were against Italy, Wales and England that is unbelievable. Jackson also should've gone for the line rather than the posts when he had that kick in the middle of the pitch. Sexton might've got it over, but not Jackson. Kidney was also crazy for taking Murray off when he was playing one of the matches of his life - he was taking Jackson's position as playmaker and positional kicker on a number of occasions and doing it quite well. He also tackled a good bit which was important at times. What does Kidney do? Drop him for Reddan who goes on to sustain a horrific injury which could hurt Leinster in the Amlin/Rabo. Thanks for nothing, Declan. Again.

The last few minutes were shambolic as well and we're quite lucky to have got a draw from today's match considering how we let them back in in the second half and made them look like a good team. I'm really frustrated with how poor Irish players are in the green jersey. We have produced a provincial side and squad which has won 3 of the last 4 Heineken Cups, another which got to the Heineken Cup final last year, a two-time Heineken-winning side in Munster who also won the Rabo in the last two years. We have the players to produce rugby to beat the likes of England, France and Wales on a regular basis to win the 6 nations on a regular basis but that hasn't been the case. Maddeningly, the Welsh seem to be able to brush off the weaknesses of the Llanelli Scarlets, Cardiff Blues and Newport Gwent Dragons to win the championship several times in the last decade to our solitary Grand Slam. Something profound needs to be done to Irish rugby management and it begins with replacing Declan Kidney.

#210 ·
Kidney needs to go. Nice guy and will be appreciated for giving us a Grand Slam but his days are over. Bring in Conor O'Shea.

The worst thing by far about today was seeing BOD say goodbye. We will never see a player as good as him again. The greatest player to have ever lived in my opinion. Ireland will never see the likes of him again. The Steven Gerrard of rugby is what I call him.

#211 ·
Well, whatever about the continued slow-motion traincrash which is Irish international rugby, Dublin GAA is continuing to do very well in the National League. We're on for a Grand Slam in division 1 :) This has inspired me to start an Irish GAA thread which should generate discussion as we head into the latter part of the league and into the Championship.

#212 ·
Very tight game between Leinster and Ulster last night. A resolute Ulster Defence saw Ulster take the point and leap-frog Leinster into second place. Glasgow go back on top after beating Munster.

The Situation with 3 games left is as Follows:

Glasgow 67
Ulster 66
Leinster 64
Ospreys 58
Scarlets 58

Munster are the next team way back on 47. Its really comming down to the wire with last years Winners Ospreys only ahead of Scarlets on Pts difference (fairly substantial!!). Anyway, its looking like Ulster and Leinster are a cert for the play-offs. Further adding to the mix is that Glasgow are looking to become the first Scottish side to Win.

The Heiniken Cup is also gearing up for the Quarter Finals, with Ulster taking on Saracens and Munster playing Harlequins. I know Harlequins are expecting alot of traveling support and are installing extra seating at The Stoop......A few Quins supporters I know tell me they have recieved alot of well wishes from Leinster fans lol:) In my opinion though, Clermont are the team to watch, I was very impressed with them when I saw them in Dublin.

C

#214 ·
I'm looking forward to watching Leinster travel up there in next year's Rabo (and maybe a Heineken Cup quarter final if ye're that good next year :p) and it's a good help to us that it's a building site at present. It means we get all the perks of being the top-seeded side in the play-offs without having to go to the bother of doing it. Just have to make sure we finally beat those Ospreys and our May in the RDS is set!

I'm still a bit annoyed that Leinster aren't in the HEC anymore particularly given I have tickets to the final. I was looking forward to watching a 3-in-a-row being completed before my eyes but I'd also be happy to see Clermont winning it since they were so nice and welcoming when we went over to Bordeaux to beat them last year! I'm also put out by Ulster's defeat to those twats in Saracens. I was looking forward to them possibly keeping the Cup in Irish hands. Munster can still do this but I'm not too delighted by that prospect. Watching them in the pool stages they were dreadful and lucked their way into the QFs.

Joe Schmidt could be the new Irish coach soon which is exciting for Irish rugby but disappointing from a Leinster perspective. He's an amazing coach, a great person and a transformative presence. I just hope that Leinster Rugby can find another coach of his calibre if and when he gets the Irish job. Vern Cotter of Clermont Auvergne would be someone in that vein.

#215 ·
And Munster is gone

It's unfortunate, I'd have loved to see them make it to finals but they were all over the place this season. How they managed to qualify for playoffs is still a mystery to me.

I'd like Leinster to beat Stade Francais in the Amlin, it's not the Heineken but any European silverware will have to do to send off Sexton, Isa Nacewa and possibly Schmidt and BOD aswell. Really emotional game today, crowd chanting "one more year" after BOD's try, and Jonathan and Isa's brilliant passes before Isa's try. Can't believe he's retiring, he's way too damn good!

Oh and also Leinster to beat Ulster in the Rabo finals :)

#216 ·
Such a great day yesterday with some superlative performances from seemingly everyone in the Leinster squad. The pace, precision and beauty of Leinster's rugby was a sight to behold. Considering Biarritz raise their game for Europe and their whole HEC involvement for next year depended on yesterday's match we did excellently to blow them away like we did. All we need now is to humiliate the Ospreys this Friday and our May in the RDS is guaranteed!

Hard luck to Munster who show that for all their ferocity and passing brilliance, Clermont have some weaknesses which can be exploited like Leinster did last year in the semi final at Bordeaux. If one of those line-outs came off in the last 15 mins, it'd be them in the final. Thankfully Toulon won against the contemptible Saracens so it'll be the Top 14 Comes to Dublin at the final. I'm really looking forward to going to the final this year. It should be terrific!

#217 ·
Brilliant result tonight! Leinster add another European trophy to their cabinet and keep the winning record in European finals up. 4 titles in 5 years is a fantastic result and helps in making Joe Schmidt the most successful coach Ireland has ever hired. Also, it's good to see Leinster win a trophy in the RDS. It should be terrific practice for next week when we have a third chance to finally do the European/domestic double. I'd also say Leinster aren't too popular in French rugby circles either (apart from with our friends in Clermont) as we've knocked two of their teams out of the Heineken Cup (Biarritz and Stade). Connacht also have reason to cheer tonight thanks to our win - they get qualification to the Heineken Cup next year as a result of our triumph. They can't complain about Mike McCarhy going now. Sure they're getting Fionn Carr back from us anyway!

#218 ·
Amlin Challenge Cup ✓
Leinster A: British & Irish Cup ✓
RaboDirect Pro12

Wonderful stuff today. It was heartbreaking to see Isa and Johnny lift the trophy together. Crowd chanting "One more year" today for Isa Nacewa, it worked with BOD, sure they might as well try it with Isa.

In other news, Ronan O'Gara will be signing a deal with Racing Metro to be their kicking and youth coach starting next season.

I'll just leave this here..

#219 ·
Yep, I would really like Isa's wife and children say to him that he can stay on for another year at Leinster. Given his form and influence it's unbelievable that we can lose him like that. Another year would be fantastic especially considering the renaissance currently underway at Leinster.

#220 ·
Think I'd give up the success of Leinster for the success of Ireland. I hope Joe Schmidt does wonders with Ireland now. Great at Leinster and I hope/think Leinster will continue on and dominate club rugby next year.

I really want to see Ireland do something in the 6 Nations next year. Think Schmidt is the man to bring us forward. I just hope its not at the expense of Leinster. I don't think it will be though.

Isa and Jonathon will be missed greatly. Next week should be great though and a great Saturday of sport. Lets hope we can send the boys off with another piece of silverware.

Would you guys rather see Ireland do well under Joe but at the expense of Leinster though? Hopefully we can have both doing well. Looking forward to next season already. Cant wait to see the Ireland team of 2015 at the RWC in England. Here's hoping the future is bright:cheers:

#221 · (Edited)
I think Joe will work his magic with the national team but I am sad to see him leave Leinster.

I think he said in an interview somewhere that he had planned to go back to New Zealand after this season. But then he was considered for the Irish job and it gave him a lot more time off during the year to spend with his family. So given that he was going to leave, it's great to see him stay here as the Irish coach instead.

But Leinster is getting Matt O'Connor, former Leicester coach. He's not Joe but he's not exactly bad.

Other than Johnny and Isa, Andrew Conway is moving to Munster next season and Fionn Carr will go to Connacht. Fionn Carr did well in Leinster A's British & Irish Cup final yesterday, he scored a try and set up Brendan Macken for another and Conway has been doing well on the wing in the main team, his recent success being the hat trick against Ospreys 2 weeks ago. Jamie Hagan, van der Merwe and Tom Sexton is also leaving after this season. Best of luck to all of them.

Players coming in to Leinster next season are fullback Zane Kilchner from the South African Super 15s team Bulls, Mike McCarthy from Connacht and fly half Jimmy Gopperth from Newcastle Falcons

Edit: Isa's case really is a pity. He's way to young to retire, he's only 30! He had a good 4 more years of Rugby left in him. Chances of him changing his mind is low but I do really wish Mrs. Nacewa and their 3 daughters could let him stay on for another year or two. It's almost a sin to rugby itself to make a player like that retire so early. He just..always does the right thing, he's so aware of everything that goes on in the pitch. I would echo this.

#222 ·
Well, it was a busy few weeks Rugby and its still not over....bring on Ulster and the Pr-12 Final.

I was pretty gutted for Clermont as I thought they played the best Rugby in the Heiniken Cup. I also felt sorry for them due to their losing 10 times(!!!) in the French domestic Rugby Cup Final.

I went to Leinster-Ospreys a few weeks ago. It was great to see us get revenge after last year! I was going to chance going to the Glasgow game but I assumed that I wouldn't get tickets. I was surprised therefore to see some many empty seats.

Really looking forward to Joe taking over the Irish squad! Its great watching him during the warm ups before the games. He gets around each play individually with instructions and encouragement. Also, in a radio interview he talked of adopting a NZ model were the National Coach has a more hands on role in attending Club/Provincial training sessions and therfore has alot more feedback as regards fitness and form.

C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.