SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Euro 2020

29K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  Dvblvnia 
#1 ·
Ireland is to join with Wales and Scotland to potentially bid to host Euro 2020!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inte...958-ireland-may-become-part-of-three-way-bid/

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/scotl...ng-euro-2020-with-wales-and-ireland-1-2294798

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...WvnJHIpCJxAZ8jbLg?docId=N0113651337072622841A

Ireland could potentially put forward 4 stadia:

Croke Park

Aviva Stadium (Landsdowne Road for the old skoolers:p)

Thomond Park (Contingent on both goal ends being developed)

Bpairc I Caoimh (If redevelopment goes ahead)

Scotland will obviously be proposing, Hampden Park, Murrayfiend, Celtic Park and Ibrox. With possible redevelopment plans in Aberdeen and Dundee.

Wales...the Milenium Stadium might be the only show in town although the Liberty Stadium can aparently be extended as part of its design.

I think the host have to submit 10 Stadia as after this year the Euros are going to a 24 team format. We should be able to cover that requirement without the need to construct new Stadia.

Croker could even have a case to host the final:)

C

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to have the Euro's here. What a boost it wold be for everyone. The only bad thing about the bid is that Scotland want the final which I do not agree with. I think Croke Park should be put forward and if the GAA dont allow it that the goverment should step in and put it in anyway. Croke Park should be the place for the final and if they were to develope the Hill then that could go p to a 100,000 seater for the Euro's final and maybe even a CL final if we cold get it. Its all about the tourism to the goverment so they should go for this. I have a feeling that if we do go for this with Scotland and Wales that it could go a bit like I want my stadium to host the final between the three countries. I hope it happens anyway.

#61 ·
why in the name of god would we want croker developed into a 100,000 seater stadium, its ridiculous things like this that crippled the irish economy.>( First of all we dont need a stadium that big, secondly it would take a long time to pay off the cost of developing it, people living behind hill 16 would never allow it, the gaa and goverment would be better investing money into modernising other stadiums around the country

#4 ·
Final would be in Wales for sure, it's got the best stadium the 3 countries have to offer.

Murrayfield
Hampden Park
Ibrox
Aberdeen Stadium

Croke Park
Aviva Stadium
Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Millenium Stadium
Cardiff City Stadium
Liberty Stadium

Can't see us putting Parkhead forward, it might be 60,000 but it's got some awful restricted views.

Aberdeen FC want to relocate to an edge of city stadium, they have plans to build a 22,000 stadium, but it will be a bowl-stadium so I expect their plans allow expansion, even temporally to 30,000 for the Euros, and reduciton back to 22,000 afterwards.

Would be fantastic to have another big event in Scotland, so soon after the Commonwealths, and sharing it with other small Wales and Ireland seems logical.

#5 ·
;) I think Croke Park has the highest capacity of all the Stadiums listed?! It certainly would if Hill 16 was redeveloped....by a country mile.

R.K.TECK....Welcome to the forum:))

Are you sure the minimum requirement is 30k and not 35k? I know in Poland thats one of the reasons why Krakow isn't hosting any matches despite the fact that it as a tourist centre has far superior accommodation to some other locations. Wisla Krakow stadium only holds 33k and there is limited room for expansion.

I'd say Park Head would definately be put forward given that its 60k. Remember because of the proximity of Europe, unlike the world cup, every country even the "smaller ones" send tens of thousands of fans.

C

#8 ·
I cant see us getting the 2020 Euros. I think it will go to Turkey (as long as Istanbul doesnt get awarded the Olympics that year), they have bidded unsuccessfully for a number of tournaments now, are soccer mad and are one of the few European countries with the money needed. I cant see the GAA backing the bid because the tournament takes place in the middle of the championships.

I think the 2023 Rugby World Cup is a more realistic possibility. There are a number of thinks in our favour; the tournament will be coming back to Europe and England and France will have hosted recently, Irish rugby is very strong right now, the IRB headquarters are in Dublin and the IRFU have are more influencial than the FAI. The tournament runs from September to October timing means it would be more likely to get the support of the GAA.

#18 · (Edited)
There is a lot of talk about if Euro 2020 could happen but no one has looked at if the tournament did go ahead how would the tournament unfold. If the format from the USA 94 World Cup is used which had 24 teams and only used 9 stadiums it easy enough to work out the groups. 2 groups would be in Ireland, 2 groups in Scotland and 2 groups in Wales with some games been played in Celtic Park to take the pressure off the Welsh. This situation would avoid the need for fans to travel much until the quarter finals when there would be less fans at that stage of the tournament.

The following 10 stadiums could be used for the tournament:

Ireland:
Croke Park (73,500) - 5 games
Aviva Stadium (51,000) - 6 games
Pairc Ui Chaoimh (50,000) - 4 games

Scotland:
Hampden Park (52,000) - 8 games
Celtic Park (60,000) - 4 games
Murrayfield Stadium (67,000) - 6 games
Aberdeen Stadium (30,000) - 4 games

Wales:
Millenium Stadium (74,500) - 8 games
Cardiff Stadium (30,000) - 3 games
Liberty Stadium (30,000) - 4 games

So what are the stadium issues in Ireland:
1. GAA wont leave them use Croke Park stadium during the championship season.
A. The only games played in Croke Park during June are the Leinster football quarter finals and semi finals which were held on 5 June (41,000) and 26 June (58,000) in 2011. Both these games could easily be held in other provincial grounds (Portlaoise, Navan, etc). Plus the money gained from Euro 2020 would massively benefit the GAA to develop their own game.

2. Could Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork be used:
Pairc Ui Chaoimh received planning permission a couple of months ago to develop a 50,000 all seater stadium. The architects designing the stadium are the same ones that designed the Aviva stadium (UEFA elite stadium) so they would know whats is required to meet UEFA minimum standards to hold a tournament. The GAA would have to amend Rule 42 but the money gained from games held in the stadium it should get the go ahead.
All Munster GAA championship games held during that time could be held in other provincial grounds like Thurles, Limerick and Killarney.

Issues in Scotland:
1. Need to bring Aberdeen stadium up to 30,000 seater:
Aberdeen are in the process of developing a stadium and would need to probably design a stadium that could hold 30,000 for Euro 2020 and then reduce it back to 20,000 for the SPL to make it feasible but thats the only issue in Scotland.

Issues in Wales:
1 Bring Swansea and Cardiff City Stadium up to 30,000.
Cardiff City Stadium is already at 26,500 and the stadium was designed so that it could be easily brought up to 30,000 which is planned for future development. With Swansea in the Premiership (or championship) they regularly sell out their 20,000 seater stadium. They could definately cater a 30,000 seater in their city.

So if the tournament starts on the 8th June this is what it would look like. No two games would be held in the same city on the same day. The opening game should be in Croke Park with the semi´s in Hampden and Millenium. Final in Millenium (best stadium). The reason the opening ceremony would be in Croke Park is because Euro 2020 could give the stadium back to the GAA after the last 16 games.

Group A:
Rep. of Ireland
Russia
Spain
Sweden

Jun 8 Rep. of Ireland v Sweden ..................Croke Park
Jun 9 Spain v Russia ................................Aviva Stadium
Jun 12 Rep. of Ireland v Spain ...................Croke Park
Jun 13 Russia v Sweden ...........................Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Jun 17 Rep. of Ireland v Russia ..................Croke Park
Jun 17 Spain v Sweden ............................Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Group B:
France
Denmark
Romania
Switzerland

Jun 10 France v Switzerland .....................Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Jun 11 Romania v Denmark .......................Aviva Stadium
Jun 15 Switzerland v Romania ...................Croke Park
Jun 16 France v Denmark ........................Aviva Stadium
Jun 20 Denmark v Switzerland ..................Aviva Stadium
Jun 20 Romania v France ........................Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Group C:
Scotland
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria

Jun 12 Scotland v Bulgaria ........................Hampden Park
Jun 12 Portugal v Greece ..........................Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 16 Portugal v Bulgaria .........................Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 17 Scotland v Greece .........................Celtic Park
Jun 21 Bulgaria v Greece ...........................Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 21 Scotland v Portugal ........................Hampden Park

Group D:
Germany
Croatia
Poland
Austria

Jun 9 Germany v Croatia .....................Aberdeen
Jun 10 Poland v Austria ......................Hampden Park
Jun 13 Germany v Poland ....................Aberdeen
Jun 14 Croatia v Austria .....................Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 18 Poland v Croatia ......................Aberdeen
Jun 18 Germany v Austria ....................Hampden Park

Group E:
Wales
Italy
Norway
Ukraine

Jun 8 Wales v Italy ......................Millenium Stadium
Jun 9 Norway v Ukraine .................Liberty Stadium
Jun 14 Wales v Norway .................Millenium Stadium
Jun 15 Italy v Ukraine ...................Cardiff City Stadium
Jun 19 Italy v Norway ...................Liberty Stadium
Jun 19 Wales v Ukraine .................Millenium Stadium

Group F:
England
Holland
Belgium
Czech Rep

Jun 10 England v Belgium ....................Cardiff City Stadium
Jun 11 Holland v Czech Rep .................Liberty Stadium
Jun 15 Belgium v Holland .....................Celtic Park
Jun 16 England v Czech Rep ................Millenium Stadium
Jun 22 England v Holland .....................Celtic Park
Jun 22 Czech Rep v Belgium ................Cardiff City Stadium

Second Round:
Jun 24 Rep. of Ireland v Poland ...............Croke Park
Jun 24 Spain v Switzerland .....................Aberdeen
Jun 25 Denmark v Italy ..........................Liberty Stadium
Jun 25 France v Portugal .......................Aviva Stadium
Jun 26 Russia v Croatia .........................Celtic Park
Jun 26 Germany v Wales .......................Millenium Stadium
Jun 27 Scotland v Holland .....................Hampden Park
Jun 27 England v Greece .......................Murrayfield Stadium

Quarter Finals:
Jul 1 Rep. of Ireland v France ...............Aviva Stadium
Jul 1 Spain v Russia ............................Murrayfield Stadium
Jul 2 Italy v Germany ..........................Millenium Stadium
Jul 2 Scotland v England ......................Hampden Park

Semi Finals:
Jul 5 ??????? v ?????? ........................Millenium Stadium
Jul 5 ??????? v ?????? ........................Hampden Park

3rd / 4th place play-off:
Jul 8 ??????? v ???????? ....................Hampden Park

Final:
Jul 9 ??????? v ???????? ....................Millenium Stadium

The financial benefits to the country would be massive and it would bring a lot of excitement to each country as well. I don´t think it would cost a lot to get the stadiums up to standard for what would be a fantastic tournament. Bring on Euro 2020.

#20 ·
There is a lot of talk about if Euro 2020 could happen but no one has looked at if the tournament did go ahead how would the tournament unfold. If the format from the USA 94 World Cup is used which had 24 teams and only used 9 stadiums it easy enough to work out the groups. 2 groups would be in Ireland, 2 groups in Scotland and 2 groups in Wales with some games been played in Celtic Park to take the pressure off the Welsh. This situation would avoid the need for fans to travel much until the quarter finals when there would be less fans at that stage of the tournament.

The following 10 stadiums could be used for the tournament:

Ireland:
Croke Park (73,500) - 5 games
Aviva Stadium (51,000) - 6 games
Pairc Ui Chaoimh (50,000) - 4 games

Scotland:
Hampden Park (52,000) - 8 games
Celtic Park (60,000) - 4 games
Murrayfield Stadium (67,000) - 6 games
Aberdeen Stadium (30,000) - 4 games

Wales:
Millenium Stadium (74,500) - 8 games
Cardiff Stadium (30,000) - 3 games
Liberty Stadium (30,000) - 4 games

So what are the stadium issues in Ireland:
1. GAA wont leave them use Croke Park stadium during the championship season.
A. The only games played in Croke Park during June are the Leinster football quarter finals and semi finals which were held on 5 June (41,000) and 26 June (58,000) in 2011. Both these games could easily be held in other provincial grounds (Portlaoise, Navan, etc). Plus the money gained from Euro 2020 would massively benefit the GAA to develop their own game.

2. Could Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork be used:
Pairc Ui Chaoimh received planning permission a couple of months ago to develop a 50,000 all seater stadium. The architects designing the stadium are the same ones that designed the Aviva stadium (UEFA elite stadium) so they would know whats is required to meet UEFA minimum standards to hold a tournament. The GAA would have to amend Rule 42 but the money gained from games held in the stadium it should get the go ahead.
All Munster GAA championship games held during that time could be held in other provincial grounds like Thurles, Limerick and Killarney.

Issues in Scotland:
1. Need to bring Aberdeen stadium up to 30,000 seater:
Aberdeen are in the process of developing a stadium and would need to probably design a stadium that could hold 30,000 for Euro 2020 and then reduce it back to 20,000 for the SPL to make it feasible but thats the only issue in Scotland.

Issues in Wales:
1 Bring Swansea and Cardiff City Stadium up to 30,000.
Cardiff City Stadium is already at 26,500 and the stadium was designed so that it could be easily brought up to 30,000 which is planned for future development. With Swansea in the Premiership (or championship) they regularly sell out their 20,000 seater stadium. They could definately cater a 30,000 seater in their city.

So if the tournament starts on the 8th June this is what it would look like. No two games would be held in the same city on the same day. The opening game should be in Croke Park with the semi´s in Hampden and Millenium. Final in Millenium (best stadium). The reason the opening ceremony would be in Croke Park is because Euro 2020 could give the stadium back to the GAA after the last 16 games.

Group A:
Rep. of Ireland
Russia
Spain
Sweden

Jun 8 Rep. of Ireland v Sweden Croke Park
Jun 9 Spain v Russia Aviva Stadium
Jun 12 Rep. of Ireland v Spain Croke Park
Jun 13 Russia v Sweden Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Jun 17 Rep. of Ireland v Russia Croke Park
Jun 17 Spain v Sweden Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Group B:
France
Denmark
Romania
Switzerland

Jun 10 France v Switzerland Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Jun 11 Romania v Denmark Aviva Stadium
Jun 15 Switzerland v Romania Croke Park
Jun 16 France v Denmark Aviva Stadium
Jun 20 Denmark v Switzerland Aviva Stadium
Jun 20 Romania v France Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Group C:
Scotland
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria

Jun 12 Scotland v Bulgaria Hampden Park
Jun 12 Portugal v Greece Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 16 Portugal v Bulgaria Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 17 Scotland v Greece Celtic Park
Jun 21 Bulgaria v Greece Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 21 Scotland v Portugal Hampden Park

Group D:
Germany
Croatia
Poland
Austria

Jun 9 Germany v Croatia Aberdeen
Jun 10 Poland v Austria Hampden Park
Jun 13 Germany v Poland Aberdeen
Jun 14 Croatia v Austria Murrayfield Stadium
Jun 18 Poland v Croatia Aberdeen
Jun 18 Germany v Austria Hampden Park

Group E:
Wales
Italy
Norway
Ukraine

Jun 8 Wales v Italy Millenium Stadium
Jun 9 Norway v Ukraine Liberty Stadium
Jun 14 Wales v Norway Millenium Stadium
Jun 15 Italy v Ukraine Cardiff City Stadium
Jun 19 Italy v Norway Liberty Stadium
Jun 19 Wales v Ukraine Millenium Stadium

Group F:
England
Holland
Belgium
Czech Rep

Jun 10 England v Belgium Cardiff City Stadium
Jun 11 Holland v Czech Rep Liberty Stadium
Jun 15 Belgium v Holland Celtic Park
Jun 16 England v Czech Rep Millenium Stadium
Jun 22 England v Holland Celtic Park
Jun 22 Czech Rep v Belgium Cardiff City Stadium

Second Round:
Jun 24 Rep. of Ireland v Poland Croke Park
Jun 24 Spain v Switzerland Aberdeen
Jun 25 Denmark v Italy Liberty Stadium
Jun 25 France v Portugal Aviva Stadium
Jun 26 Russia v Croatia Celtic Park
Jun 26 Germany v Wales Millenium Stadium
Jun 27 Scotland v Holland Hampden Park
Jun 27 England v Greece Murrayfield Stadium

Quarter Finals:
Jul 1 Rep. of Ireland v France Aviva Stadium
Jul 1 Spain v Russia Murrayfield Stadium
Jul 2 Italy v Germany Millenium Stadium
Jul 2 Scotland v England Hampden Park

Semi Finals:
Jul 5 ??????? v ?????? Millenium Stadium
Jul 5 ??????? v ?????? Hampden Park

3rd / 4th place play-off:
Jul 8 ??????? v ???????? Hampden Park

Final:
Jul 9 ??????? v ???????? Millenium Stadium

The financial benefits to the country would be massive and it would bring a lot of excitement to each country as well. I don´t think it would cost a lot to get the stadiums up to standard for what would be a fantastic tournament. Bring on Euro 2020.
Why have you missed out Ibrox stadium(50.000)?Much better than Aberdeen(30,000):bash:

#19 ·
^^^^ I dont think thats all right. First of all Croke Park is bigger then the Millenium and should be the host of the final. We could also use Thomond Park too which could be upgraded. We need a game in the latter stages in the Aviva or Croke Park. I dont think Wales would be able to have two groups with three stadiums. I think they would need at least 4. I could see it going like this for the semi's and final. Semi final 1 in Hampden Park, semi final 2 in the Millenium, 3rd/4th place paly-off in the Aviva and the final in Croke Park. That would be good for us I think.

#21 ·
You can only use a maximum of 2 stadiums per city according to UEFA so you would have to rule out Ibrox or Celtic. Plus UEFA like to see a spread of cities, hence using Aberdeen.

I also stated that the GAA will want Croke Park back for the Leinster hurling and football finals in July. Thats why I suggested using Croke Park for the opening ceremony and then giving the semi finals and finals to Wales and Scotland.

Plus when Croke Park is all seater (i.e. seats in Hill 16) it is not bigger than Millenium Stadium.

If you look at the 2 Welsh groups some of the games will be played at Celtic Park as I all ready stated to take the pressure off the Welsh.

The big thing behind all this is that this tournament could be done.

#22 ·
Plus when Croke Park is all seater (i.e. seats in Hill 16) it is not bigger than Millenium Stadium.
Croke Park is bigger then the Millenium Stadium already. The Hill has not been developed and it probaly wont be which would leave Croke Park the same size and if Hill 16 is developed then Croke Park would become a 90,000+ stadium which is bigger then the Millenium.

#27 ·
Casement is the only option. Even then thats doubtful assuming the GAA go for their usual bargain basement approach to Stadia!

Realistically, if a North Irish venue were to be used it would have to be Casement or a new-build to meet the 30k requirement. Ravenhill will only hold 18k after expansion likewise I think the revamped windsor will hold 20-25.

#28 ·
The GAA would have to be given a shit load of money to allow Croker to be used or maybe Hill 16 built and paid for by the Irish government to allow Croker to be used. Just like they got the IRFU and FAI to pay for the flood lights in return for using Croker whilst Lansdowne was being redeveloped.

#31 ·
How is that possible when Croke Park is physically a bigger stadium?:dunno: The seated capacity is 73,500 (83,000 in total) as it is with three sides complete. Seated capacity at Millenium stadium is 74,500 with all sides completed. With Hill 16 seated it would be comfortably bigger. It's obvious - GAA pitches are larger than rugby and soccer pitches. That's why the area of the stadium is so big. The Millenium stadium "only" holds 74,500 seated as it is. I have nothing against the Millenium stadium either btw! Just sayin..

#32 ·
The statement below is from Croke Park wiki:

The fully redeveloped Hill has a capacity of around 9,000, bringing the overall capacity of the stadium to 82,300. This made the stadium the third-largest in the European Union, after Camp Nou in Barcelona and Wembley Stadium in London. However, the presence of terracing means that for competitive soccer, the capacity is reduced to approximately 73,500, due to FIFA's statutes stating that competitive games must be played in all-seater stadiums.

So again your wrong about Croke Park.

#38 ·
I think attitudes are changing....although the Northern branches of the GAA are very notably against reform....read into that what you will:)

Personally, I am one of those who thinks that the GAAs quasi-nationalistic stance in the past has ruined Irelands chances of competeing in sports on the International Stage...which in itself is curiously anti-nationalistic. However, despite everything you may accuse the GAA of, being wreckless when it comes to money isn't one of them. Put simply, this has the potential to be a big money spinner for the GAA which in turn will fund and continue their amateur structure.

C

#43 · (Edited)
Temporary seating. So, no I am not wrong. You are trying to claim that the Millenium Stadium is physically a bigger stadium - it isn't. It's as simple as that. Croke Park is not just a stadium - it has other uses built in - conference centres, museum etc. And I don't know what the GAA are going to do with Hill 16. The railway does not prevent development. Anything can be done by structural engineering.

Maybe the pictures will give an idea of what i'm talking about wrt the difference in dimensions of the stadiums - it's built to a larger scale. Also the pitch is bigger too.

I can tell you have not been in the stadium. It's some experience. You should go there sometime.

BTW I love the Millenium Stadium - I think it's fantastic - I have been there twice. But it's not as big as Croke Park. You really have to visit the two to see that. Croke Park at pitch level is like your in a canyon.

#45 ·
Croke Park is ALOT bigger than the Millennium stadium. Redo Hill 16 it would be close to 100 thousand.

Both stadiums are fantastic and a credit to each nation.

I have watched Munster and Ireland play in Millenium Stadium and I have been to Croke Park All Ireland finals and semi's many times.

Croke Park is physically bigger yes. But because FIFA / UEFA do not allow standing at soccer matches, seats are put in Hill 16 reducing the capacity down to 73,500. How many times do I have to repeat this. Just read this very slowly.

#50 ·
Does anyone know roughy how much it would cost to redevelop Hill 16?

It looks like they'd have to buy well over 30 properties to accommodate the new stand and the new entrances to it.

That could run into 10s of millions just acquire properties I expect. However now is the time for the GAA to start scooping up property whilst its still cheap.

#51 ·
^^^^ I think they would need to buy a bit more then 30 properties because we need to thing of the fact that they would need to move the railway line or build over it anf they would need a new entrance and a car park and I would think a new road. I think the whole project could cost them around €70 million or so but that is just a complete guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.