Votes: 36 90.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I won't vote, does not effect me

Votes: 1 2.5%
21 - 40 of 172 Posts
While there are caveats to that Yes support I do feel that this referendum will pass and quite comfortably (by at least 60 to 40%). Every party is in favour of it, most of civil society is in favour of it and while it's an important cultural issue it doesn't attract the same level of ire that abortion does. Most people know at least one person in their life who is gay and most people will see that they are normal ordinary people who deserve the same sort of treatment that others do in society.

120,000 people under the age of 25 (the demographic most likely to vote 'Yes') aren't even registered to vote. That's 25% not registered. We don't even know how much of the other 75% will vote. But you can be sure all the 'No' voters will be registered and voting.

Most young people, while they agree with the 'Yes' campaign, are taking a 'Yes' vote for granted. Some people I've talked seems to think it'll pass by 80 to 90% which is insane. I guess it's easy to think that while being in the college bubble where almost everyone is for the referendum.

So, in short, if young people don't get off their asses and register before May 5th, it could have a big enough effect on the referendum.

If you go to YESEqualitys Facebook page they have a photo of a queue of students in maynooth registering to vote. The queue goes out the door, down the hall and downstairs again.

Not just that but the entire yes equality campaign has a very young feel to it. I think this is one of the few time when young people are actually engaging.

Where did you see that figure about 120k young people not being registered. If that's true it's terrifying

120,000 last Autumn - that is a huge figure - equivalent to the entire population of Louth. I'd say the registration drives by SUs in places like NUIG and UCC has put a bit of a dent in that figure. The No side will certainly be a lot more motivated to vote and there will always be those who vote No, regardless of the issue. Therefore I think the lowest the No vote will be is around 20%. The highest I think it can be is 40%. It will probably be something like 65/35 Yes.

Is anyone else worried about this not passing? I have to say, I'm completely terrified and don't think I could live here anymore if this doesn't pass. That 'No' campaign seems to have free reign to peddle all the lies that it wants. It's hard enough having to read the commentary online, about why you are different, why you'd never make a fit parent, about why your relationship is inferior to everyone else's, about how you are evil and sick, but if the end process of all this is a no, that really would be a sickening prospect. Apart from the typical bullying at school which I think many people can relate to, I don't think I've ever met anyone with a problem with it since and really do believe that country has moved on so much, but it's clear that there are still many people out there that clearly have a problem with it. Can't believe that over 4 million people have to be asked whether or not I can marry my partner of 16 years. The government can't be complacent about this. A yes vote can't be guaranteed.

Is anyone else worried about this not passing? I have to say, I'm completely terrified and don't think I could live here anymore if this doesn't pass. That 'No' campaign seems to have free reign to peddle all the lies that it wants. It's hard enough having to read the commentary online, about why you are different, why you'd never make a fit parent, about why your relationship is inferior to everyone else's, about how you are evil and sick, but if the end process of all this is a no, that really would be a sickening prospect. Apart from the typical bullying at school which I think many people can relate to, I don't think I've ever met anyone with a problem with it since and really do believe that country has moved on so much, but it's clear that there are still many people out there that clearly have a problem with it. Can't believe that over 4 million people have to be asked whether or not I can marry my partner of 16 years. The government can't be complacent about this. A yes vote can't be guaranteed.
I'm getting a little bit worried now. I have talked to a lot of people that would vote yes but who don't plan on voting because ''sure I don't need to, it will pass anyway''. I think no voters are more likely to go out and vote.

It's a pity if that's the case. This is deeply personal to a sizeable minority in this country. I can't believe I'm actually waking up in the middle of the night thinking about the result. I love this country and my life is here, but if this is rejected, this will change my whole outlook on everything and I really hope that doesn't happen. I only want to live in a country where I'm equal to everyone else. I know that sounds a little dramatic, but that's how I feel about the whole thing. Hoping for a yes.

This is deeply personal to a sizeable minority in this country.
Thats the thing, there is a sizable gay population who will be voting yes. Many of them will have a good number of friends and family who will support their right to marry and will vote on their behalf. Add to that a decent chunk of liberal minded straight people who may not have a personal interest in the outcome but will still bother to vote. The no side is a vocal minority and their hyperbolic campaign will register with only a small proportion of swing voters and activate less to actually vote. The yes vote will be carried by a comfortable margin.

The media (especially RTE) make it seem like a close run thing because they want to give equal airtime to both sides and dont want to be accused of being biased, were airtime allocated on the basis of actual public support then each side would be getting very difficult levels of exposure.

Hope so Pete. Was heartening to see the amount of 'Yes' posters in cafés and outside businesses in Dublin today. The urban vote will carry by a comfortable majority, but I'm a little concerned about the rural vote which could hold things in the balance. Maybe I'm wrong though. Fingers crossed.

Hope so Pete. Was heartening to see the amount of 'Yes' posters in cafés and outside businesses in Dublin today. The urban vote will carry by a comfortable majority, but I'm a little concerned about the rural vote which could hold things in the balance. Maybe I'm wrong though. Fingers crossed.
I don't think there will be an urban or rural vote and on some levels that could be considered quite disrespectful to a lot of people.

21 - 40 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.