SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Speculation of November general election mounts

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  nitrobyname 
#1 ·
#5 ·
It will as the banking enquiry draws all its legitimacy from being a creation of this Oireachtas. Once it's dissolved it has no legal basis and wouldn't even get to compile its findings into a report. We'd have to just go on the hearings and that's it. On that basis it's preferable that we vote in February or March.

I'd have thought both FG and Lab would want a spring election - there'd be even more in work by then, the tax cuts in Budget 16 would have begun to make people more secure and it gives Labour more time to improve its poll ratings which gives Fine Gael more options in coalition negotiations afterwards - they could avoid having to go in with FF this way. There's also the ego benefits too - delaying it to around March means it's this Government who go away to the White House for St Patrick's Day and it's this government which will oversee the Easter Rising Centenary commemorations.

Speaking personally, I'd prefer a Spring election as I'll have my tax cuts nailed down before the political parties vie to offer me even more of my own money back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.