search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #6541
woozoo

Likes (Received): 172

Looks like a new column of gold glass is going up on Eureka today.

Slow progress but welcome none the less.

Barwon Boy liked this post
woozoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #6542
AllifialhL

Likes (Received): 16

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of what is happening with 55 Swanston St (opposite City Square)? It's not part of the building demolitions for the new CBD South Station, however it's had wire fencing around the entire building since the 12th of September, all of the ground level shops are closed, and access to the actual building including the Macleay College is also closed. There are signs saying there has been 'flooding' from a burst pipe, but wondering if something else is going on behind the scenes? So many business closed, and for so long, over a burst pipe. I wonder if it was caused by any construction work across the road at City Square?

I've tried looking for news articles but haven't found anything. My nosey and inquisitive nature needs to know the answers :p
AllifialhL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:42 AM   #6543
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 370

The night the footy wankers took over the streets:

Meanwhile the media think it's OK because they're AFL supporters, but if a couple of A-League fans blocked one car after winning the premiership they'd be writing stories about "soccer hooligans"

KJBrissy liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:27 AM   #6544
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 417

Very true about the difference in reporting of such incidents.

Oh well, I’m not an AFL fan either so it the near suturation of daily life with talk about one sport does get frustrating but at the end of the day it is to be expected from the media in this city.
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6545
log0008

Likes (Received): 581

A couple of idiots taking it to far and recking a great AFL Grand Final!

Also lets celebrate the fact that Melbourne now holds both the AFL and NRL premierships! We are Australia's greatest city!

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...nbtdavEYnfFSoQ

primal beauty liked this post
log0008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #6546
log0008

Likes (Received): 581

More proof that the Melbourne market is still going strong and that the risk is now of an undersupply as we move towards 2020.
Quote:
Melbourne apartment settlements holding up, data from financier MaxCap shows

Apartment settlements are holding up in one of the densest clusters of Melbourne CBD, figures from construction financier MaxCap show.

The financier's records of four buildings it funded in the north-western Elizabeth Street precinct constituting a total 1937 apartments, which it said equated to 40 per cent of total apartment stock to be delivered in the Melbourne CBD, Southbank and Docklands this calendar year, showed little sign of settlement difficulties, said MaxCap chief investment officer Brae Sokolski.

Across all four projects which were almost fully pre-sold, at least 65 per cent of apartments settled within the first two weeks of the settlements commencing, with the remainder of stock settling over the ensuing four-six weeks with minimal evidence of recession, Mr Sokolski said. At least half of the buyers were foreigners who required Foreign Investment Review Board approval to buy.

The figures suggested that even at a time of reluctance by local banks to lend to offshore buyers, and Chinese capital restrictions making it harder for people to get money out to complete transactions, buyers were finding ways to settle their purchases and this was a good sign for the ongoing market.

"In the most trying environment for settlements, they are still proving incredibly resilient," Mr Sokolski said. "The buyers from offshore are finding a way to ensure that they settle and they have investment in Australian real estate.

"These buyers are the ones with notionally the highest possible risk. They bought when the market was very different in terms of their ability to access equity from China or debt from Australia. The fact that they are settling when they were caught unawares augers very well for the future of the industry and the settlements moving forward."

Few problems

The four projects were Golden Age's Victoria One (160 stage-one units out of a planned total 643 apartments), Hengyi's Light House (627 apartments), ICD Property's EQ Tower (633 apartments) and Mammoth Empire's Empire Melbourne (487 apartments).

In the case of Light House, 98 per cent of all apartments had settled successfully within 60 days of calling for settlements, Mr Sokolski said.

Mr Sokolski said a random sample review of title searches showed that about 58 per cent of the apartments purchased across the four projects were funded by cash, while 33 per cent was through major Australian banks or lenders, and a further 9 per cent through alternate or overseas lenders.

Other developers say they are facing few settlement problems.

BPM head Jonathan Hallinan separately told the Financial Review that settlements of two projects in the past two months – the 40-unit Black Fold project in Brisbane and the 30-unit Light Edge project in Melbourne – had only seen two sales fail to settle.

"We've settled 70 in the last two months," Mr Hallinan said. "Over two projects, we've had two fall over. Those two were very quickly resold."

Separately, MaxCap recently closed $280 million worth of funding with two large US institutions for Hengyi's Swanston Central development in Melbourne's inner-northern suburb of Carlton. Swanston Central consists of 1048 apartments and is currently under construction.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/melbo...#ixzz4uWyZCtJI
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...nbtdavEYnfFSoQ
log0008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #6547
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Likes (Received): 1093

With Dracula's closing down by the end of the year, I'm sure developers are already knowing on their doors? I wonder what type of development we can see at the site. RMIT currently surrounds the building, I wonder if they might be interested, might give them a chance to knock down the building next door and build something amazing.
Old October 6th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #6548
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3242

It's a pretty small site on its own. About 400m². The neighbouring RMIT building would make it 800m² in total.

How old is the building?
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #6549
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 698

Looks like 530 Collins Street is getting some new signage.
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #6550
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3077

Here I am enjoying my coffee while browsing all Melbourne printed media today and a friend drops into the same cafe ! So...I think I see much really good development news and try not to ignore naff stuff utterances of so called friend...I mean, Today's Melbourne newspapers tell much interesting news...I think !
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:56 AM   #6551
GlennWilson
Highrise Lurker

Likes (Received): 10005

Do you think we'd be nudging 150 cranes in the metropolitan area ?
GlennWilson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #6552
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 370

Lolololololol, believe it or not this isn't made up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.southbanklocalnews.com.au/columns/detail/letters_6842/
Very angry

How bloody disappointing to hear of yet another high rise development in Southbank.

I have lived here in Eureka Tower for 12 years. Southbank use to be a pleasant environment to live in.

Now the high rises are being blown out of all proportion, it will soon look like China and, to tell you the truth, who wants that?

No views, no sunshine, noisy, polluted, and the bloody horrific traffic.

I have to pick my times to get in and out of our building due to the traffic.

Certain times of the day, you cannot move and some days, all day, due to delivery trucks, removal vans, cabs that park where they shouldn’t, they force us to the wrong side of the street.

These are very greedy developers and the bloody council which has completely destroyed the city streets and now Southbank.

I bet they don’t live in Southbank!

Will someone stand up for Southbank? Ahh, yes they do, but does the council listen or care? No, no, no.

All I can say is we will be glad to get out of here and go live in the country, where hopefully we can get enough space to breathe. Ahh yes, and a little sunshine.

Dianne

(Very angry resident )
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #6553
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3242

“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #6554
Barwon Boy

Likes (Received): 138

Hilarious. She has to be joking surely. I can't believe someone could be so stupid.
Barwon Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #6555
Brizer

Likes (Received): 3954

A classic case of "I'm alright, Jack" and "I'm in! Close the gates!".
This is a particularly hypocritical and selfishly nasty form of nimbyism given the complainant is in a high rise.

Eco-rat liked this post
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #6556
MisterMarcus

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
An inner city resident being a completely hypocritical NIMBY? I am astonished....
MisterMarcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #6557
redden

Likes (Received): 8906

I posted this in the Melbourne Boom thread, but wanted to add a note about how massive this list is. I've just spent 4 weeks in China, finishing up in Shanghai. Whilst I was on the observation deck for the Shanghai Tower, I was amazed that I could only see one crane anywhere near the Tower. In a city of 27 million, there were hot spots of construction further out, but the glamour area of Pudong, which is Shanghai's Southbank, wasn't one of them. Even on the Bund side of the river, which is where I stayed, there weren't many cranes. I remember, a few years ago, that one city was estimated to have 10% of the world's cranes. Not sure if that was Shanghai or pre-Games Beijing, but it looks as if construction has cooled. I saw a couple of the notorious "ghost cities" during the trip, so the message has probably sunk in. It makes Melbourne's crane forest all the more remarkable. And, a footnote for those hoping Aurora and 108 get some lights, a City Lights cruise on the river in Shanghai was incredible. If only we could be so ambitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden View Post
The last couple of weeks of my holiday, and I've got nothing better to do than draw up a list of talls under construction. We're allowed to gloat, aren't we? N.B. I've included West Side Place, Melbourne Square and 405 Bourke Street, because the builders have already moved onto the sites. I've excluded Sapphire by the Gardens,232m/222m, Queens Place T1, 249m, and 380 Lonsdale, 217m, because there's still demolition under way. I've left out Light House, 218m, Empire, 197m, and Southbank Central, 154m, because they're effectively complete. A couple of lower profile ones are supposed to start before year's end, but we know all about "supposed" i.e. Paragon (Celtic Club), 155m, is virtually a sell out and 88 Melbourne, 209m, is definitely a wait and see. I've ended the list arbitrarily at 148m, because Collins Arch deserves to be on any list of biggies.

1. Australia 108, 317m
2. Aurora Melbourne Central, 270m
3. West Side Place T1, 270m
4. Premier, 249m
5. Victoria One, 247m
6. Swanston Central, 237m
7. Melbourne Square T2, 231m
8. West Side Place T2, 210m
9. Collins House, 190m
10. 80 Collins Street South, 187m
11. Melbourne Square T3, 179m
12. Capital Grand, 178m
13. Avant, 172m
14. 311 Spencer Street (Police HQ), 171m
15. Olderfleet, 166m
16. Southbank Place, 166m
17. 405 Bourke Street, 161m
18. Shadow Play, 151m
19. Collins Arch, 148m
20. Wesley Place, 148m

Melbourneguy, spinnn liked this post
redden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #6558
MisterMarcus

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden View Post
I posted this in the Melbourne Boom thread, but wanted to add a note about how massive this list is. I've just spent 4 weeks in China, finishing up in Shanghai. Whilst I was on the observation deck for the Shanghai Tower, I was amazed that I could only see one crane anywhere near the Tower. In a city of 27 million, there were hot spots of construction further out, but the glamour area of Pudong, which is Shanghai's Southbank, wasn't one of them. Even on the Bund side of the river, which is where I stayed, there weren't many cranes. I remember, a few years ago, that one city was estimated to have 10% of the world's cranes. Not sure if that was Shanghai or pre-Games Beijing, but it looks as if construction has cooled. I saw a couple of the notorious "ghost cities" during the trip, so the message has probably sunk in. It makes Melbourne's crane forest all the more remarkable. And, a footnote for those hoping Aurora and 108 get some lights, a City Lights cruise on the river in Shanghai was incredible. If only we could be so ambitious.
I assume at least part of the reason is that Puxi and the parts of Pudong close to the city are already 'full'. They've had their boom, but they're not yet old enough for demolition and renewal. Plus some parts of Puxi are somewhat protected (e.g. the Bund, parts of Frenchtown) for tourist purposes.

If you go further out towards the airport, or anywhere in the 'outer suburbs' , there's cranes all over the place.
MisterMarcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #6559
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by log0008 View Post
Can we finally put the oversupply talk to bed..... And start talking about the looming under supply?
When do we see an apology from BIS? They blame the census - and then call it a 'turnaround' as if it wasn't purely and utterly a mistake on their part.

Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #6560
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Belongs in the Beetoota.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
melbourne