daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #201
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

(Facepalm)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM   #202
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

Well at least they've posted one of those tampawaterfront2020.com Ads on the big digital billboard on I-275 right in front of Downtown.

tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #203
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4084

Just speculation:

Quote:
With Mercedes' expected HQ move to Atlanta, Tampa could benefit as auto industry looks to leave N.J.
Jan 6, 2015, 2:22pm EST

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

Mercedes-Benz USA is expected to relocate its North American headquarters to Atlanta, and one site selector says its move out of northern New Jersey could be a catalyst that sparks its competitors in the automotive industry to take similar action.

Mercedes is planning to invest $100 million in a new 200,000-square-foot office campus in the metro Atlanta area — a deal that considered Florida, Texas and North Carolina, reports the Atlanta Business Chronicle, a sister news organization.

The move is likely to have a domino effect in northern New Jersey, home to BMW and Volvo U.S. headquarters, which could benefit Tampa.
More here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...nta-tampa.html

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #204
tamparican

Likes (Received): 41

Seems like those high taxes up north are killing NJ's corporate scene.

tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #205
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 967

If anything like that happens for Tampa, I just hope they locate the headquarters in downtown instead of Mercedes Benz and place it in the suburbs.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #206
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Vinik team kicks off Channelside revitalization with taco and tequila lounge
Jan 9, 2015, 12:50pm EST UPDATED: Jan 9, 2015, 1:37pm EST

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

The beleaguered Channelside Bay Plaza has scored a new tenant, a 6,000-square-foot tequila and taco bar that will open by the end of the month.

Franklin Street, which Tampa Bay lightning owner Jeff Vinik tapped to revive the property, said Friday that it has signed Hablo Taco, which will open Jan. 29, ushered in by a ribbon-cutting ceremony with Vinik and Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn.

The restaurant will hold a sneak peek party for Channelside residents on Jan. 28. It will be in the former Tinatapas location.
More here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...alization.html
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #207
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 601

The Boston Globe picking up on Vinik and his new venture -- this is the kind of press needed. Maybe it sways someone tired of living in 0 degree Boston to say they are fed up with the weather and move to Tampa and not Miami, Palm Beach, Sarasota, etc...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...fRJ/story.html
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #208
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 557

Good chance that more artifacts could be found while digging up downtown.

Video mentions indian artifacts from 8,000 years ago. Interesting.

Watch video.....

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...past/21738461/

Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #209
HARTride 2012

https://hartride2012tampa.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/my-vision-for-hillsborough-county-transportation/

Source: TBO.com

Quote:
The plan by Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik for a $1 billion redevelopment of 28 acres of the Channel District cleared a major hurdle today with the City Council approving $30 million worth of infrastructure improvements to the Channelside area.

Sitting as the Community Redevelopment Agency, city council members unanimously approved an agreement to reimburse Vinik’s Strategic Property Partners company, which will carry out work that includes realignment of roads, new sidewalks and major drainage and utility improvements.
Full Story: http://tbo.com/news/politics/tampa-c...150115/?page=1

Brian72, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #210
TPAman22

Likes (Received): 282

Source: Tampa Bay Business Journal

Quote:
When Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik met with the CEO of Bank of America this week, it wasn't because he thought he could talk the bank into moving its headquarters to Tampa.
But high-level meetings such as the private chat with CEO Brian Moynihan in New York on Monday are key to how Vinik is going about recruiting a corporate headquarters to downtown Tampa.
"[Vinik] wants to basically use his bully pulpit to go out and sell Tampa," said Jim Shimberg, chief operating officer of Strategic Property Partners, the holding company for Vinik's real estate endeavors.
SPP doesn't expect BofA to move its headquarters to Tampa, Shimberg said, but Vinik is spreading the word about his plans with executives at Moynihan's level.
"He's starting at a very high level," Shimberg said. "Maybe there is a division, maybe they know a client of theirs that's looking to do this, so he wants to get the word out on a very high level."
More: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...s-billion.html

Like already mentioned, I doubt this is going to happen, but interesting enough, it has been speculated and rumored they might move their headquarters in the next few years, and Boston is the recurring speculated site, and we are aware of his connections there, and possible attempts to even lure from. Definitely will be an exciting year and I can't wait to see this project get underway.

TPAman22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #211
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

There certainly is room and reason for a major headquarters to relocate to Garrison Park....
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:42 AM   #212
Buckeye Nation

Buckhorn taking the lead on the Streetcar -- i.e., find funding. This has him meeting with Vinik's development team, so I stuck this here, but please feel free to move it Mods if needed.

http://tbo.com/news/business/buckhor...150120/?page=1

Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:27 AM   #213
HARTride 2012

I posted the article in the Hillsborough referendum thread, but I'll leave your post alone since this will be impacted by the Vinik developments.

While on the subject, I've created a Facebook group to try and foster discussion about how we can improve the streetcar (i.e. getting more riders, upping frequency, etc.) so that we can justify the extension/modernization. Without those smaller steps, we will simply get hammered by NTFT.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1003945872953162/

CubanBread, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:13 PM   #214
Buckeye Nation

Let's get buildings going, then worry about a name...but given the context of the article, any thoughts on names??

http://tbo.com/news/politics/big-pla...150121/?page=1

Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:52 PM   #215
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 273

Why does there need to be a name? The area already has a name. Market each development independently -- they're different products, after all.

Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #216
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2463

How about 'southern downtown', which is what I hear people call it now (as in, leave it unnamed)... Or just extend the Channel District boundaries along Garrison Channel to the convention center. It seems pretty lame to try and give every few acres of downtown a different name.

With that said, we know they're going to brand this. These master planned urban projects are always branded.

I would go with something which helps define the space, but also brings a new identity to the project and downtown...

I feel pretty strongly that it should involve the theme of either greenness (double meaning in terms of environmental sustainability as well as the tropical location, with lots of landscaping).

Or something to do with light/sun (again double theme of solar/environmental sustainability and the abundance of sun on the area... solar by day, glitzy city lights at night.

I would only go with 'water' as being part of the name, if it will be central to the theme. But that would only be the case if they were going to dredge out a new marina, and maybe a canal like I had mentioned before. But we know they're not doing that, they've already got their site plan to the DD phase. Building pad locations and public spaces are set. They're just trying to figure out how to dress them up and what to fill the ground floor commercial spaces with.

Anything 'Garrison' is a non-starter imo. That would only be cool if there was an actual garrison still standing to be a landmark and focal point. But it's just the name of a channel that's almost completely landlocked by low bridges. There's no inspiration there, it's just a name out of a hat.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM   #217
TampaFan

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post

Or something to do with light/sun (again double theme of solar/environmental sustainability and the abundance of sun on the area... solar by day, glitzy city lights at night.

t.
How about Sundial 2...

TampaFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:31 PM   #218
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 248

I agree southern downtown or Downtown Waterfront are the only names that make sense. It's downtown. Doesn't really need a new name. Of course I disagree on the pointlessness of garrison. This land is Fort Brooke. The Land that arguably made Tampa a real city when they closed the fort. I know they would never call it that but fort Brooke Is the only real historical name.

http://newtotampa.tumblr.com

kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:49 PM   #219
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 338

How about Fort Brook Village, or Cotanchobee Village?

gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:34 AM   #220
FloridaFuture

I think the whole crowd sourcing thing should be incorporated into the name since not only is that becoming a new cool, hip trend in general but does set this particular development apart. Maybe not exactly "Synergy Village/Square" but something in that general direction. Synergy also sort of implies green which LEED certitification and green space is something they should aggressively chase after.

Naming it after a historical or geographical feature is 1. a little boring and 2. only locals or those familiar with the city will get the reference.

In other words, I want a name that looks forward instead of backward and can become nationally renown. The name should denote that this area is a place of innovation and forward thinking to go along with the whole "Tampa has its swagger back" theme they're throwing around.

Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to "Millennial Village" but that may be a bit too obvious. Coupling that with say a centerpiece major Iraq/Afghan War (our generation's war) memorial as I've seen suggested on the 20/20 site and you can market the area as something "built by millennials, for millennials."

Last edited by FloridaFuture; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added more
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote