daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #161
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 338

I wonder if Tampa ever could get something lke South Bank in Brisbane, Australia, perhaps on Ybor Channel or on Hillsborough River or even along Bayshore/Ballast Point?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by gstolze; December 21st, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2014, 12:03 AM   #162
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2463

IDK, but this development will obviously help set the precedent for how the PA treats all of its land along Ybor Channel. It should be all about embracing the outdoors, the water and Tampa's maritime heritage, and bringing the sounds and feel of water throughout the development. Lush, tropical, refreshing, vibrant.

They need to get it right, no settling.

I want people from afar to see pictures of the place, and the outdoor beauty and be like, "where the hell is THAT???, I'm going!"
Old December 21st, 2014, 12:32 AM   #163
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

Maybe the PA will put some of their buildings to the east side of the channel and free up some of the current locations for other developments.

gstolze, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 12:36 AM   #164
gstolze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
IDK, but this development will obviously help set the precedent for how the PA treats all of its land along Ybor Channel. It should be all about embracing the outdoors, the water and Tampa's maritime heritage, and bringing the sounds and feel of water throughout the development. Lush, tropical, refreshing, vibrant.

They need to get it right, no settling.

I want people from afar to see pictures of the place, and the outdoor beauty and be like, "where the hell is THAT???, I'm going!"
I totally agree. It's about time that Tampa redefines ist image, remembers ist strenghts and unique history and tell it to the world.

Old December 21st, 2014, 03:56 AM   #165
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 394

We definitely have an unique aura here in Tampa, true a lot of what makes this city special has been torn down to make way for highways, or ripped up to make way for cars, Suburban sprawl has done everything it can to try kill our character but still we keep that essence of whats makes special. I think that civic pride we've been urning to get back is starting to catch on.

Some may scoff at the comparison, but last night after work i got a ride home from "lyft" the driver was a french Haitian that group up in Paris we drove past the cuesta ray building he pointed to it and said it reminded him of the buildings in paris. Obviously its just one building and not the neighborhood as a whole and certainly not the city but i thought it was cool that something here in TAmpa reminded him of a place like Paris.
This isn't the first time i've heard someone compare the older buildings in Tampa to another country. My girlfriends best friend is from Curtiba, brazil and has commented several times how some of the homes in Ybor rind her of Home.

CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:19 AM   #166
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 601

What gets lost in this DT transformation is the $1B airport renovation, which will finish in '17, hopefully right in the middle of the development phase of Vinik's plan. With a good, smart public transit/light rail plan to connect these, the potential for DT to really explode is here.

Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 05:11 AM   #167
smiley

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Nation View Post
What gets lost in this DT transformation is the $1B airport renovation, which will finish in '17, hopefully right in the middle of the development phase of Vinik's plan. With a good, smart public transit/light rail plan to connect these, the potential for DT to really explode is here.
The airport expansion will be nowhere near done in 2017. They are only doing the first phase starting just now and it will be years.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

USF802, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:08 AM   #168
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Right. Just the APM, its initial 3 stations, and a bunch of design work. About $267 million worth by 2017. Other work on the CONRAC itself and such follows after that.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:26 AM   #169
Buckeye Nation

Likes (Received): 601

Yep, I realize he expansion will take 10+ years to finish (prob 20), but the first phase, improving the current terminal will be complete (possibly) by '17 -- nonetheless, it is just as critical to getting more people into Tampa and DT to really make Vinik's plan take off. Exciting times!!!!

Buckeye Nation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:09 AM   #170
gstolze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Right. Just the APM, its initial 3 stations, and a bunch of design work. About $267 million worth by 2017. Other work on the CONRAC itself and such follows after that.
I actually understood it differently. I thought the first phase will be about 1 Billion, with the monorail and the CONRAC finished as well as Transfer Level expansion, and the second and third phase each would be each about 1 Billion, too....so altogether 3 Billion until like 2030

Last edited by gstolze; December 21st, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM   #171
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

It's spread out over numerous contracts awarded over time. Even what I just described isn't everything, that's actually what was just awarded most recently. Some other work had already been awarded previously, but I don't know the totals off the top of my head. But the big stuff is still yet to come so far as I know.

I think this stuff is on TIA's website, or probably easily located by fiddling with a google search, but im going to bed soon. its almost 5.

Old December 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM   #172
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4081

Full page ad in today's Trib

Old December 21st, 2014, 08:44 PM   #173
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Still surprising that there's no way to actually discuss things.

Brian72, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:37 PM   #174
FloridaFuture

^We should just get them to link this thread on their website.

During the news conference I noticed a peak of 13 members and 15 guests viewing this thread, simultaneously.

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:45 PM   #175
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

I put up another one...

Quote:
Design should evoke Tampa. Modern, open, casual, tropical and embrace our maritime roots.
[IMG]http://i61.************/qrcdpt.jpg[/IMG]

And another...

Quote:
An iconic lighting feature visible on the skyline from afar
[IMG]http://i60.************/rb084x.jpg[/IMG]

Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #176
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

During the visioning for the Julian park on the west bank, I also suggested some ideas along the lines of embracing the tropical water theme with 'boat houses' even if they were just in that character and served some other purpose like mechanical services. I really like the idea of a 'tropical/urban' type look for Tampa.

Throw in some more historic buildings like you see in Ybor, not the Mediterranean necessarily, but those early 20's style.

Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #177
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Vinik's urban designer: Vibrant downtowns are possible even in sprawl-ridden Florida
Dec 22, 2014, 6:39am EST

Ashley Gurbal Kritzer
Reporter-
Tampa Bay Business Journal

When Jeff Vinik's urban planning consultant visited downtown Tampa for the first time, he was struck by the "incredible opportunity" of the vacant land Vinik and his real estate team had assembled around Amalie Arena.

"The location is to die for," said Paul Ostergaard, managing principal of Pittsburgh-based Urban Design Associates. "It's made to become a great urban neighborhood."

Ostergaard has a track record of creating those types of districts. Look no further than the plan UDA created for downtown Cincinnati— strikingly similar to Tampa's, with green space and public gathering areas between the waterfront and the city's sports venues.
More here

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...towns-are.html
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:20 PM   #178
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

I wish the title of that article was attributed to Tampa's mayor, or Tampa's city council, rather than Vinik's urban designer.

Then again, there are comments like this:

Quote:
"Miami has a great urban environment, but there aren't many choices right now," Ostergaard said.
Miami? We're talking about the same Miami, right?

koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #179
FloridaFuture

^Well this guy is from Pittsburgh. He probably doesn't know about St. Pete, Sarasota or even Orlando.

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:01 PM   #180
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

^Those are the best urban downtowns we've got in FL, but they really don't measure up very well to the national offerings, which I think is the perspective he is speaking from.

From a national perspective, looking at Florida in terms of urban offerings, Miami is the only one taken seriously at this point. Others are getting noticed, but they're not widely regarded, and not all that highly regarded when they are.

That's changing, and it's changing increasingly quickly, but so is everyone else.