daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Ex-Ithacan
Old Fart

Likes (Received): 0

Newburgh, NY pics

Here's some pics I took of Newburgh (pop~28,500) a couple of years ago. The city is fairly rough looking, at least the core area I was in. The crime rate is fairly high too. What kind of puzzles me is that the city is gaining population. Oh well, here's some pics. I suppose the place isn't all bad, but I never saw any really nice hoods.

1. The Main Street (Broadway)

How about some housing near the downtown area?

12. It wasn't all bad

13. But most wasn't that good

18. Finally, the tallest I saw (an older apt. bldg on a bluff overlooking the river). A couple blocks off Broadway.

Sponsored Links

Old June 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #2
blink55184

All too familiar- I went to college in Newburgh for 2 years.

That place is an absolute HOLE! I see you got the most essential picture, the crackhead yard on the corner on Broadway. Did you go down Liberty st? It is the most rocky road EVER, all old bricks that they say are "historic" but that is a lame excuse not to put money in and repave it. Newburgh was once an all American city, but has been steadily declining since the 60's. Where did you read that the population is rising? We used to eat Kennedy Fried Chicken on Broadway, they served you from behind bullet proof glass. I witnessed alot of violence there. Gas stations are constantly held up. THere are 2 good bar on Front st. near the water, that is about all. I experienced police corruption there. Someone tried to attack me at my job in a fast food restaurant.
I wish I could say better things about the place. It does have some history, Washington had a camp there.
blink55184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #3
bungalowbuck

thanks so much for the photos!!! my friends in nyc tell me that the weekend housing crowd in the city is starting to discover newburgh. it should be interesting to see how much newburgh will change over the next five years. newburgh is still relatively cheap, considering its proximity to nyc.
bungalowbuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #4
blink55184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbuck
thanks so much for the photos!!! my friends in nyc tell me that the weekend housing crowd in the city is starting to discover newburgh. it should be interesting to see how much newburgh will change over the next five years. newburgh is still relatively cheap, considering its proximity to nyc.
I forgot to mention the drug and prostitution problem in Newburgh. On any given night, prostitutes are cleary visible to anyone on the streets. THe police do nothing about it. Heroin is a HUGE problem in downtown Newburgh, and of course other drugs. I am sure you could live here cheap (I lived in dorms those 2 years) but the quality of living is terrible. My friends off campus houses were the nicest in the entire city, and they were NOT that nice. The heat hardly worked, and everything was crumbling.
Its 60 miles outside of NYC, not easy for commuting. Metro North has a station a mile away in Beacon that gets you to NYC in about 45 minutes I believe
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Raleigh-NC

Great pics, Ex-Ithacan I can see lots of redevelopment potential and hopefully this town will clean up in the future. The population gains is a good sign.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #6
NYSportsFan

It has the 2nd highest crime rate in NY.
NYSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7
ROCguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink55184

That place is an absolute HOLE! I see you got the most essential picture, the crackhead yard on the corner on Broadway. Did you go down Liberty st? It is the most rocky road EVER, all old bricks that they say are "historic" but that is a lame excuse not to put money in and repave it. Newburgh was once an all American city, but has been steadily declining since the 60's. Where did you read that the population is rising? We used to eat Kennedy Fried Chicken on Broadway, they served you from behind bullet proof glass. I witnessed alot of violence there. Gas stations are constantly held up. THere are 2 good bar on Front st. near the water, that is about all. I experienced police corruption there. Someone tried to attack me at my job in a fast food restaurant.
I wish I could say better things about the place. It does have some history, Washington had a camp there.
Believe it or not... for whatever reason; Newburgh is gaining population. Up 1% from 2000-2004

http://www.city-data.com/city/Newburgh-New-York.html

I have to say I am very surprised by Newburgh's demographics being in Orange County. Only 28% white non-hispanic... over 36% hispanic and 33% black. Most cities and towns in NY in the Hudson Vally north throughout the state are overwhelmingly white.
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #8
sargeantcm
Hee Hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink55184

Sounds like a magnified microcosm of New York State.

Sadly.
sargeantcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #9
blink55184

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCguy
Believe it or not... for whatever reason; Newburgh is gaining population. Up 1% from 2000-2004

Maybe that includes the Town Of Newburgh which is somewhat annexed to the city. However they are separate from one another..ie different taxes, different police agencies, etc.

I cant see population rising there. Given, I havent lived there in the last 2 years, but from 2002-2004 I saw no sign of economic growth or change. There are constantly new politicians/city board people shuffling positions and coming and going, all saying they can change something. But nothing ever happened.
The only successful thing that happened for them when I was there was around 5 am one weeday morning, a huge operation of police raids took place and supposedly killed a huge drug ring. It was highly publicized in the papers to put good word out, but little changed in my opinion.

There are 2 or 3 newer developments near the bottom of Broadway, facing the river(by developments, I mean 2 new small buildings. Front Street on the river is a series of 5 bars, and is the most upkept road/area in the entire city.

Something MAJOR would need to happen to revive this city, I don't see it slowly working its way in.
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #10
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:

I have to say I am very surprised by Newburgh's demographics being in Orange County. Only 28% white non-hispanic... over 36% hispanic and 33% black. Most cities and towns in NY in the Hudson Vally north throughout the state are overwhelmingly white.
Actually, Newburgh like several of the Mid-Hudson cities has had a sizeable African American community with a long history, & it grew in the decades after WW II.

Puerto Ricans started coming to Newburgh during the 1950s & 60s.

Hondurans came in significant numbers in the 1980s. And Mexicans have come in big numbers since the early 1990s.

Many of the first African Americans & Latinos originally came as farmworkers, got factory jobs & settled down.

Since these pictures were taken, Newburgh has been coming back. In contrast to most cities further upstate, the population has been regrowing as the new immigrants move in.

So in that respect, Newburgh is more like the New England, NJ & eastern PA towns. Its actually part of the NYC consolidated metro.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #11
blink55184

From the Times Herald Record, a local paper, here are a few interesting points. This article is dated October 26th, 2003.

They also have a nice picutre, very heart warming!

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/...6/kwcrimes.htm
Article title- "To feel safe, Carry a gun."

"Newburgh – This place has been the most violent city in New York state two years running. Last year, it was five times worse than Yonkers and nearly three times more violent than New York City."

"Newburgh has been dangerous for generations, dating back to the riots in the 1960s, the crack wars in the 1980s and now gang violence.
"We have a big problem," says Julius Robinson, gazing out a storefront window at the corner of South and Liberty streets, just blocks away from where men have been gunned down and drugs pass routinely from dealer to user"

" From 2000 through 2002, Newburgh's per-capita violent crime rate rose from 16.1 to 16.2 per 1,000 people, then jumped to 20.6 last year, according to Uniform Crime Reporting and state Department of Criminal Justice Services data. That's been consistently higher than Poughkeepsie, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo. "

I love how the article refers to my old food spot, Kennedy Fried Chicken! haha

The article does try to show some areas of improvement and optimistic words, I did not highlite those. You can click on the link to read.
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #12
ROCguy

YAY!!!! Rochester isn't the murder capital of NY anymore... it's damn Newburgh!
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #13
bungalowbuck

mark my words. newburgh has some great buildings. it's just a matter of time before the gentrification crowd show up en masse. try finding cheap real estate within 1 and 1/2 hours of nyc.
bungalowbuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #14
blink55184

Quote:
YAY!!!! Rochester isn't the murder capital of NY anymore... it's damn Newburgh!
Keep in mind, this article is a few years old. It may have changed by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbuck
mark my words. newburgh has some great buildings. it's just a matter of time before the gentrification crowd show up en masse. try finding cheap real estate within 1 and 1/2 hours of nyc.
There are some very historic and colonial buildings, especially houses.
However 80% or more are in crumbling condition.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #15
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

There you go putting your foot in your mouth again kid...I tell you as i have repeatedly you have to visit these places and not trust statistics and see things with your own eyes, you'd probably have a culture shock visiting places like Haverstraw, Kingston, Hudson, Beacon, Wap falls and Peekskill.

I disagree with blink, I have family in Newburgh, and lots and lots of friends all good people, crime is everywhere and newburgh was hit with it hard.

I say Newburgh will gentrify at the same time Haverstraw does, and alot of that will be triggered by the current transforming gentrification of the river cities/ and towns on the hudson in Westchester...and i'm betting my money that the moment southside Yonkers starts to fully gentrify is when you'll places like Newburgh gentrify.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #16
ROCguy

Uh.... who are you? And how have I put my foot in my mouth? I've been to the Hudson Valley... my grandma's husband is from Kingston. I don't see what you're fussing over.
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #17
blink55184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
I disagree with blink, I have family in Newburgh, and lots and lots of friends all good people, crime is everywhere and newburgh was hit with it hard.
So what did I say that you are disagreeing with?
If it's the people thing, Sure, there are some good people. It's not 100% criminals!! I agree, Newburgh was hit hard, and I dont think its much different today than 5 years ago. I think we can agree on that..?

A few more photos

Broadway

Liberty St- Can see part of the brick/pavement with 2 foot deep dropouts I was talking about

Old June 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #18
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

Here's an article on the role that immigrants
are playing in the revitalization of Newburgh

Monday, August 1, 2005
Newburgh's influx of Mexican immigrants reflects regional trend

The Associated Press

NEWBURGH — Sunday morning: More than 1,000 parishioners, most from Mexico, pack Spanish-language Masses at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Afterward, many families flock to El Azteca for its authentic tacos. If somebody needs a ride home, there are at least a dozen local taxi companies catering to newcomers born in the Mexican states of Puebla and Jalisco.

New residents from Mexico have, in the past four years, opened dozens of businesses that have begun to reinvigorate the ailing downtown district; they are the region's fastest-growing community.

It's the same story elsewhere in the Northeast. Like other parts of the country before it, the region is finally starting to see the impact of Mexican migration.

New communities of Mexicans have arrived to fill farm, construction and domestic jobs, government data show. Population growth in states such as Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Connecticut would be considerably slower if not for the newcomers, who are steadily bringing about the region's biggest demographic shift in generations.

Some tension created

And while the change has brought new vitality to some places, it's also created tension.

Rodolfo O. de la Garza, a sociologist at Columbia University, said it's natural Mexico is — and will be — the main source of Hispanic migration to the United States.

"Mexico is right there and Mexico is so big," he said. "They're not going to become the dominant group in the Northeast, but they're going to be increasingly important numerically."

Newburgh has historically had a small Puerto Rican community. But these days, Mexicans drawn to farm work in apple orchards, dairy farms and factories outnumber Puerto Ricans, demographers say.

In 2000, Newburgh's 4,500 Mexicans represented half of all its Latinos; today, Mexicans are two-thirds of that group, demographers estimate.

"I've seen (Mexicans) grow from a very small quiet-type community to a very large population, and it continues to grow," said Richard Rivera, president of Latinos Unidos, a local advocacy group.

Small but rapidly expanding Mexican communities also are now in East Boston, Burlington, Vt., Central Falls, R.I., and Providence, said Martha Montero-Seiburth, a professor at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.

In Maine, where most immigrants pick apples or blueberries or work on dairy farms, Census estimates counted 4,419 Mexicans in 2003, up 48 percent from 2000.

Longtime residents are generally welcoming in Newburgh, a city of about 28,000, but there remain challenges: a shortage of affordable housing, inadequate health care and nearly nonexistent public transportation. It is not unusual, said Carmen Vazqueztell, director of bilingual education in Newburgh schools, to see Mexican immigrants along country roads at night.

Some see the lack of services as business opportunities to sell Oaxacan groceries, soccer supplies and airfare to Mexico City.

"You drive up and down Broadway and say, 'Wow, look at this new business, and this one and this one and this one,' " Vazqueztell said. "They've really made a mark in this community."
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #19
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 1

yea, I have to agree...once the NYC folks get a whif of this place...they are gonna swarm it and buy it all up, infact once they do the city will be better off I'm sure, question is where will all the violent felons go?

Hopefully....ALBANY!!!
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #20
veryprotourism
registered boozer

seriously. lots of potential as a nyc bedroom community,
veryprotourism no está en línea   Reply With Quote