search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #30481
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

It's rather 1 april? Unbelievable.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #30482
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

This news is a travesty for 1wtc if it turns out to happen. This BAD news about the spire change, if it pans out, is quite simply WHY the United States is now second to the Arab and Chinese dictatorships in supertall construction and design. We are always designing down, instead of designing up! Geez, are times really that horrible that they can't even follow through with SOM's design? And this of all buildings?! Furthermore, 1WTC is NOT, I repeat NOT a twin of the old twin towers. It tapers as it rises, so the spire as designed would give it balance and just visually frame the tower so much better! If they actually change the spire to a bland, basic antenna, then the building simply will not have the impact it might have otherwise had.

Yeah, a simple antenna might have worked on the old North Tower, but it did not taper and so visually did not need a fatter spire like this one does. I REALLY hope they don't change the design, the spire would be such a focal point and architectural element of the building. The parapet would even look silly if they change the spire to a skinny toothpick sticking up there. The parapet as designed would cap off the building, help visually frame the tower. I just wish people in this country would stop constantly trying to change and mess up perfectly good designs. I guess there is nothing we can do but hope SOM convinces Durst to change their minds.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #30483
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Wow, this is the best news of this month. The ugly fat spire has been cancelled. This will make 1WTC a lot more beautiful
I'm sorry Kanto but your lack of vision has been personified in this comment. And you want to be an architect? Give up now and save yourself the heartache. There is no future for you in architecture.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #30484
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 81

Ι surely do hope some sense is put into this, because if they go on and make the antenna naked it is going to be simply hideous...

The original plan is beautiful and actually makes a very nice contrast in that white color. Scrapping that and making the antenna look like any conventional antenna out there is catastrophic for this iconic building...
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #30485
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
I'm sorry Kanto but your lack of vision has been personified in this comment. And you want to be an architect? Give up now and save yourself the heartache. There is no future for you in architecture.
Wrong! I never said I want be an architect. I don't want to be an architect. I want to be a structural engineer. That's a very big difference

Btw, I just made a quick pic how 1WTC would look like without the ring and the spire and I can tell ya, that it looks a thousand times better than with what you'd call "visionary architecture elements" (I'd call the ring and the spire uglifying elements)

[IMG]http://i39.************/23m6hyx.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #30486
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5162

That's looks like 1WTC got neutered. Bleh!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #30487
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 751

Would you stop spreading misinformation? No one said the spire is canceled..I'm wondering when will this stop already..If ever will..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #30488
tim1807
faster than buildings

And I think it will look a billion times better with the ring and the spire, it that pic, imagine a flat roof on the ESB.
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #30489
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Wrong! I never said I want be an architect. I don't want to be an architect. I want to be a structural engineer. That's a very big difference

Btw, I just made a quick pic how 1WTC would look like without the ring and the spire and I can tell ya, that it looks a thousand times better than with what you'd call "visionary architecture elements" (I'd call the ring and the spire uglifying elements)

But without the ring or the spire, 1WTC becomes nothing more than just another tall building. All the significance and importance behind it are lost. It doesnt even stand out in front of 2WTC (whenever that gets built)
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #30490
wilmervanheerde

Likes (Received): 2

WTC1 looks boring in that picture, but i think it's better without the ring and spire. They should design a new antenna to make it look better.
wilmervanheerde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #30491
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
But without the ring or the spire, 1WTC becomes nothing more than just another tall building. All the significance and importance behind it are lost. It doesnt even stand out in front of 2WTC (whenever that gets built)

I'm pretty sure 1WTC will have a spire, the issue now is what KIND of spire. They need to leave the design ALONE and build the nice thick spire, it frames the building much more, making it be a focal point for the whole city. Without the spire and parapet, 1wtc will look like a boring dull generic office building in anytown, USA. Any spire is better than no spire, and the parapet serves to help frame the spire on top and give the building balance and added visual height. But Durst needs to butt out and leave the design alone! I really hope SOM will convince them otherwise!
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #30492
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Would you stop spreading misinformation? No one said the spire is canceled..I'm wondering when will this stop already..If ever will..
Quote:
pic how 1WTC would look like without the ring and the spire
Please note that I used the word would, not will

As to my comment before the quoted one when I said the fat spire was cancelled I didn't mean that 1WTC's spire as a whole got cancelled, I only meant that the fat design of the spire was cancelled, which according to the article it was
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #30493
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

the tower looks much better without the spire if only they could make it a bit taller.
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #30494
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:

ESB looks far too small in that photo :O
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #30495
tim1807
faster than buildings

It looks small because it's not in Downtown but in Midtown.

@Charles You mean the roof? The roof is where the slanted sides are coming together. How could they make the roof higher, the tower is nearly topped out.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #30496
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
It looks small because it's not in Downtown but in Midtown.

@Charles You mean the roof? The roof is where the slanted sides are coming together. How could they make the roof higher, the tower is nearly topped out.
I know that but i didn't think it would look that small.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #30497
BTH

Likes (Received): 1

I think Kanto is right, it looks much much classier without the "skylon"-esque spire and the napkin-ring type circle of communications equipment surrounding it. Personally I've always thought they looked a bit tacky. The geometries of these elements simply bear no relation to the building they sit on, looking like add-ons rather than integral parts of the design.

I do agree that it would be shameful to lose the symbolism of the height the spire added. I can only hope that they decide to redesign the spire into something more elegant and in keeping with the rest of the building which is turning out beautifully. Putting a bare, Conde-Nast type structure on top CANNOT be an option.

Last edited by BTH; March 6th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
BTH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #30498
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
ESB looks far too small in that photo :O

I think that ESB looks pretty big in that picture. I think its very wide looking.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #30499
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

The pic above with WTC1 without its spire is just awful. WTC1 needs its spire. It will look plain and thristy for attention. Spires is what completes a buildings character. Its like us, without a head we will be plain looking, blind, and no character to speak in volumes. That spire gives 1WTC all of the above, including a mouth piece and eyes looking for away to the horizon. The ESB originally was only suppose to be built to the 86th observation deck with no steel spire, but I think the governor at the time said it needed to built higher to represent this city, state, country and the world. Now imagine if it didnt had its spire. It would just look like another tall for nothing building. Buildings that shouldn't need a spire is the NYT and BOA buildings. They already have a character, their spires just look like a over dress hat.
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #30500
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 554

People need to actually read the WSJ. But for those who didn't for whatever reason.

THE SPIRE IS NOT CANCELLED.

What is being redesigned is the outer, essentially casing of what is an entirely mechanical antenna that would look like the original WTCs spire. Completely mechanical.

What it looks like is happening is the spiraling enclosure that hides the hideous mechanical antenna is being redesigned because the material the one weve seen, would be made of a material that would need to be maintained, which is a tough to do.

I have an incredibly hard time believing that SOM is not going to fight this. I would imagine that SOM will design a new enclosure for the antenna that works with the tower instead of having a metal pole plopped on top. Read the article before. Otie posted some great renders a couple pages back which show what is happening.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center