search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #30521
Dwotci
Яegistered User

Likes (Received): 50

Gosh, this thread is sometimes like a television drama, with Kanto as the protagonist.
Dwotci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #30522
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwotci View Post
Gosh, this thread is sometimes like a television drama, with Kanto as the protagonist.

Ha you think this thread is bad. You should pay a visit to the PL Thread on the sports field. We are all at war with each other.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #30523
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwotci View Post
LOL.

Meanwhile...

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1544

STATE-OF-THE-ART BROADCAST CENTER POISED TO RETURN TO WORLD TRADE CENTER

Mar 06, 2012

Quote:
One World Trade Center, soon to stand as the Western Hemisphere’s tallest building, is planning to add broadcasting to its summit. As part of an arrangement now being finalized with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, The Durst Organization would oversee construction and operation of a new, state-of-the-art broadcast facility atop the tower. The installation would offer television and FM radio broadcast capabilities.

With a 408-foot spire reaching an ultimate height of 1,776 square feet, One World Trade Center’s broadcast center is expected to attract a number of prestigious broadcast partners, while promising to generate significant revenue for the project in return for a relatively modest capital investment.

Employing full redundant power, the One World Trade Center broadcast center would be marketed together with a broadcast tower atop 4 Times Square, also operated by The Durst Organization. The two towers would together serve as a primary and back-up facility, creating an economy of scale for broadcast tenants.

Upon completion, the broadcast center is projected to generate more than $10 million annually. The facility would require approximately $7.4 million in up-front capital costs. All costs related to the broadcast facility would be borne entirely by The Durst Organization. Prior to September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center’s North Tower featured a 360-foot broadcast center at its top.
With construction now having risen to the 92nd floor, One World Trade Center is the tallest building in downtown Manhattan. Upon completion, One World Trade Center will stand 104 stories high and offer 71 rentable floors totaling three million square feet of leasable, Class-A office space.
The PA and Durst are dead serious about this. Let's all pray SOM does something about this, at least the redesign should look good too.
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #30524
JMruitenberg

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47

Ha you think this thread is bad. You should pay a visit to the PL Thread on the sports field. We are all at war with each other.
He didn't say it was bad, only somtimes when people say stupid things...
And you are one of them right now... :p
JMruitenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #30525
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1025

Yeah, I'm not feeling as pessimistic about this as I was yesterday. They'll do something to make it look right. They could even use this opportunity to make the spire work better with the rest of the tower.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #30526
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Yeah, I'm not feeling as pessimistic about this as I was yesterday. They'll do something to make it look right. They could even use this opportunity to make the spire work better with the rest of the tower.
I'm doubtful. They said there going to make it thinner and more functional looking. To me, that doesn't sound good. I liked the spire as is. It sounds more antennae-like than spire. I don't want to see a spire like atop the NYTT or 4TS. Which I'm afraid it will be.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #30527
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

SOM won't let that happen, at least that's what I hope for. Maybe they can cover the antenna with a new material.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #30528
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMruitenberg View Post
He didn't say it was bad, only somtimes when people say stupid things...
And you are one of them right now... :p

Back at you. You no what I ment so stop acting stupid and get over yourself.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #30529
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'm doubtful. They said there going to make it thinner and more functional looking. To me, that doesn't sound good. I liked the spire as is. It sounds more antennae-like than spire. I don't want to see a spire like atop the NYTT or 4TS. Which I'm afraid it will be.

Me too. I liked the way the WTC1 looked with the spire.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #30530
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

I'm really confused about this. I thought a broadcasting antenna was going to be encased within the spire anyway? If not for broadcasting, then what was the purpose of that antenna? Or was it originally going to be a completely non-functional spire for aesthetic purposes only?

Geez I'm confused. I just hope they don't make it look like shit.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #30531
JMruitenberg

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Back at you. You no what I ment so stop acting stupid and get over yourself.
jep, I know what you mean. you mean that you talk bullshit, i get you!!
end of chat...
JMruitenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #30532
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMruitenberg View Post
jep, I know what you mean. you mean that you talk bullshit, i get you!!
end of chat...

The only one talking bullshit here is you. You knew what I ment but you just wanted to be a dick which you are and start on me. What I originally said was not even to you so mind your own business. End of chat.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #30533
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
SOM won't let that happen, at least that's what I hope for. Maybe they can cover the antenna with a new material.
I think they will cover it with a new material like you said.

If you remember originally it was going to have an antenna with no substance to it, meaning air and weather could pass through the antenna because there was no casing or cover to the actual antenna, it was like BofA and 4 TS. But that idea got canned and they redesigned to what just got canned, because they were afraid of ice and snow getting stuck up there and falling down, potentially onto the sidewalk or into the park.

So I would have to imagine that on this redesign the antenna gets a cover or casing so we won't have a hideous 4 TS antenna on top of 1 WTC.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #30534
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
this now looks like northeast asia trade center in incheon

Actually, it would look pretty good without that spire. Without a spire, they out to reconsider the idea of the rooftop observation deck. But then that would make too much sense. I wonder what their excuses would be.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #30535
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Actually, it would look pretty good without that spire. Without a spire, they out to reconsider the idea of the rooftop observation deck. But then that would make too much sense. I wonder what their excuses would be.
It might look good without the spire IF they built it taller, otherwise, it would look naked. I am hopeful that Durst will find some middle ground and not totally change SOM's design of the spire...We are so close to topping out, it would be a shame to make such a dramatic re-design at this late stage....Also, IF they did go with a skinny antenna, you're right, there WOULD be more room on the roof for an outdoor deck, although they probably wouldn't do it.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #30536
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
It might look good without the spire IF they built it taller, otherwise, it would look naked. I am hopeful that Durst will find some middle ground and not totally change SOM's design of the spire...We are so close to topping out, it would be a shame to make such a dramatic re-design at this late stage....Also, IF they did go with a skinny antenna, you're right, there WOULD be more room on the roof for an outdoor deck, although they probably wouldn't do it.
The communication ring would prevent such.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #30537
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
I'm really confused about this. I thought a broadcasting antenna was going to be encased within the spire anyway? If not for broadcasting, then what was the purpose of that antenna? Or was it originally going to be a completely non-functional spire for aesthetic purposes only?

Geez I'm confused. I just hope they don't make it look like shit.
Yes, it was originally to be a broadcast antenna inside of an architectural spire. What they're talking about doing now is removing the architectural part of it and leaving it as just an antenna, which by the way won't count towards official height. Other people have said it and I agree, this isn't just any skyscraper that you can modify and dumb down.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #30538
cyberx

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Beautiful.
cyberx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #30539
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberx View Post
Beautiful.
Wow, that's a very old image. But definitely worth reposting, hopefully it'll look like that again in a month or two.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #30540
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

People all of you should relax and clam down as you can see by going back to the wall street journal article they have retracted their statement about any design changes and that was the only article that i saw that said their would be design changes, and if their is a design change wait and see how the final design comes out for all we know it might be a better design.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3cb3...4845ce644.html

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center