search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #50441
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP95 View Post
I'm a little confused about how the Derrick got dismantled, would anyone be kind enough to explain? Did it have some mechanism to dismantle itself?


Usually the BMU(building maintenance unit) will disassemble the Derrick crane piece by piece and then it is brought down by the external elevator. They can also use a smaller crane like a Spider crane that will fit on the elevator as well.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #50442
AliP95
Registered User
 
AliP95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post

Usually the BMU(building maintenance unit) will disassemble the Derrick crane piece by piece and then it is brought down by the external elevator. They can also use a smaller crane like a Spider crane that will fit on the elevator as well.
Interesting, cheers!

Then this may have beeb the last job that required the external elevator up to roof height, maybe now the elevator will begin to come down - at least down to the Condé Nast floors.
__________________

4npower liked this post
AliP95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #50443
Subsequence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 198
Likes (Received): 50

....

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #50444
nickguar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 10

I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.
__________________
nickguar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #50445
Archaean
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 345
Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.
Though im tired of the spire debate, I agree wholeheartedly with this post. This building is not a 1776 ft tall building. Especially not after the mutilation it has undergone at the hands of its developers. They shouldn't be allowed to lay claim to such a legacy. A 400ft antennae shouldn't be endowed with such a symbolic title.
__________________

Kanto liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #50446
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis
 
OnePointWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York,New York
Posts: 675
Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.
*Applause*

Well said my friend, well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.



By Joshua Este

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtilles...fWCAk9-fWwEep/

image hosted on flickr





By Joshuacruse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshuacrusemusic/

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
__________________

Last edited by OnePointWest; September 20th, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #50447
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 281
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Putting this much gear and all the heavy electrical in pools of water? Not such a good idea... But maybe they'll bring this array permanently into the Memorial Park at some point.
I'm not saying that it has to be identical to the current lighting setup; obviously it would be a new custom setup designed with the pools in mind specifically. I think it can be done. Its current location just truly does not make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
How the heck could you say that that's pretty much defying the statement "Never Forget"
I never forgot when the British burned down the White House and U.S. Capitol in 1814, nor when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941. I even remember the tragic fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in 1911 and the sinking of the Titanic only a year later.

That being said, they are no less just facts in the back of my mind without any accompanying emotional sting. As will be 9/11. The last first-hand victims, witnesses, and mourners of this event will ultimately perish, as those of the previous events have. We won't forget, but we will move on and regain a sense of joy and hope.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #50448
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.




Honestly, who cares anymore? It's like some people have money riding on what the CTBUH declares the height to be. We(SSC members) all know where the roof ends, and where the spire ends. It's not up to anyone on SSC to declare the height and the other 99.99% of the normal population that watch the news will know it to be 1,776 feet high. 1WTC is one of the most beautiful towers in the world, and that's all that matters to me. It can be 1,776 feet tall or it could be 609 feet tall and I wouldn't care. It's still a beautiful tower. It's funny to listen to people bitch about something that really doesn't matter and I can't wait to hear what MEANINGLESS height the CTBUH puts on it. Some people are going to lose a lot of sleep, some are going to sleep a lot better. Me? I'm going to sleep the same as I did last week
__________________

Nonoka, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #50449
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
I never forgot when the British burned down the White House and U.S. Capitol in 1814, nor when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941. I even remember the tragic fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in 1911 and the sinking of the Titanic only a year later.


You, my friend, are a pretty old dude
__________________
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #50450
dean87
kedahsejahtera
 
dean87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: lgk_aor_kul
Posts: 7,697
Likes (Received): 5220

image hosted on flickr

NEW YORK '13 by ak-photography.de, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

NEW YORK '13 by ak-photography.de, on Flickr
__________________
-sfd-

iveman94, billgates, Rain Drops liked this post
dean87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #50451
iveman94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 316
Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
Noam Galai


image hosted on flickr
Photo from surreal world
__________________
iveman94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #50452
VRS
Registered User
 
VRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 46,649
Likes (Received): 11426

UFO has landed??
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #50453
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center
 
bozenBDJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: BDJ, ID-KS
Posts: 23,631
Likes (Received): 9717

^ Nope That's just the 9/11 Tribute light beams .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #50454
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,631
Likes (Received): 50421

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccho/97...n/photostream/
__________________

EK413, streetscapeer, xXFallenXx liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #50455
NewYorker2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I wanted to add my two cents about the looming CTBUH decision on Nov. 8 about the official height. After much consideration, I am hoping they do not count the antenna as a spire, taking 400 feet off of the official height. I come to this conclusion for several reasons.

1) To make Durst infamous. His boneheaded decision should be remembered for what it was.

2) To demystify 1WTC. If it's 1,776 feet, we may not see something taller for quite some time, whereas if it is 1,373 feet, we will see several taller buildings within a few years.

3) Because it's just the right thing to do. The WTC, as far as I am concerned, was bungled by almost all of the players involved. Being the "tallest" with an antenna is a cop-out. What we will eventually get at the WTC site is four very beautiful (though, as in the case of 1WTC's antenna, imperfect) and very tall buildings. I'll take it. But all attempts at legacy-building should be avoided. Midtown is where it's at.
Agreed. Excuse my language, but Durst had the nerve to bitch about $20M meanwhile the Tower already costs $3.9B. The CTBUH shouldn't count it out of spite for altering the design not to mention an antenna is not an architectural element. The beacon may be an architectural element but the rest of the mast isn't. I think the problem was time. They probably wanted to wrap up work atop of the Tower in time for 2014.

Durst knows nothing about spires or antennas and how to maintain them. The architects and engineers who designed Tower One know a lot more and they wouldn't have proposed the radome design if they didn't think it could be maintained. It's just a horseshit excuse. They are a real estate company. Their focus is on acquiring tenants, not the appearance of the building. That's what the architects and engineers are for.

However, the Port Authority is the agency in charge of this Tower as far as the land goes so since they rarely have a clue on what they are doing most of the time so this is the result we get. I guess we really don't need the Tower to be 1,776' because first of all, they dropped the "Freedom Tower" name. It's name is One World Trade Center. 1776 was the year America gained it's freedom. This Tower does not represent freedom. It's too controlled by the Government. It represents America's resilience and healing the scar in the Manhattan Skyline.
__________________

Vito Corleone liked this post
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #50456
Rockmont
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 305
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Agreed. Excuse my language, but Durst had the nerve to bitch about $20M meanwhile the Tower already costs $3.9B. The CTBUH shouldn't count it out of spite for altering the design not to mention an antenna is not an architectural element. The beacon may be an architectural element but the rest of the mast isn't. I think the problem was time. They probably wanted to wrap up work atop of the Tower in time for 2014.

Durst knows nothing about spires or antennas and how to maintain them. The architects and engineers who designed Tower One know a lot more and they wouldn't have proposed the radome design if they didn't think it could be maintained. It's just a horseshit excuse. They are a real estate company. Their focus is on acquiring tenants, not the appearance of the building. That's what the architects and engineers are for.

However, the Port Authority is the agency in charge of this Tower as far as the land goes so since they rarely have a clue on what they are doing most of the time so this is the result we get. I guess we really don't need the Tower to be 1,776' because first of all, they dropped the "Freedom Tower" name. It's name is One World Trade Center. 1776 was the year America gained it's freedom. This Tower does not represent freedom. It's too controlled by the Government. It represents America's resilience and healing the scar in the Manhattan Skyline.

It represents the height of the originals, which was 1370 something feet, not 1776, although that is the approximate height with the spire, but the spire really doesn't count, because there will be no public access to it.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #50457
Riley1066
Registered User
 
Riley1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 616
Likes (Received): 505

The ability of the public to access a point on a tower should not be the determining factor of how tall the tower is ...
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #50458
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
but the spire really doesn't count, because there will be no public access to it.


That statement makes no sense what-so-ever. There are tons of buildings around the world that "don't have public access" to the actual roof, but still have their height measured to the actual roof or roof of highest occupied floor. The two heights have nothing to do with each other in representing the roof height of a tower. Many towers across the world have public observation decks well below the top floor or roof access level.
__________________

bigreach, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #50459
Architecture lover
Registered User
 
Architecture lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,409
Likes (Received): 1283

Edit.
__________________

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 4th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #50460
Architecture lover
Registered User
 
Architecture lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,409
Likes (Received): 1283

Edit.
__________________

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 4th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu