SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DISCUSS: Favorite North American Skylines

4M views 22K replies 924 participants last post by  Zaz965 
#1 ·
Discuss the best North American skyline here.

#390 ·
im here to make a case for vancouver.. yes it is very leveled in hight and the colours are off but its uniqueness is not seen any where else in north america.. and the city is chillin on the super strict hight ristrictions and many new tall towers are going to be popping up and alot of towers are going to add neons to there facades here are some of my fav. pics

dont get me wrong tho .. vancover isnt number 1 on my list NY will always have that spot

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Toronto(looks great at night.. clumsy during the day)
4.vancover
5.seattle/pittsburgh/miami 3-way tie

vancouver:

van needs some supertalls and it will be alright its still a very young skyline ppl forget that

#391 ·
Since we are talking about da BEST of NA skyline....

Well, glad that we have 2 inspiring skylines that are too close to call...

Chicago & NYC:banana:
Follow by Toronto!

#392 ·
You spelled it incorrectly, it is SIDNEY and it is in Nebraska home of Cabella's
also Sidney north of Victoria , BC.
After seeing this, I have to vote

1) Chicago
2) NYC
3) Toronto

I was attempting to dig for a foggy Chicago image that I saw before that was amazing, I failed to locate it though!!
Need we say more, one and only in the world!:runaway:

#393 ·
I would not say Chicago - its too boxy.
NYC has a lot of buildings but there a few of any significant archticturual beauty.
I like San Francisco - so I choose that.

#394 ·
Very true. Though Toronto in a way has a bit of a NY feel to it especially the tower blocks.
While some movies have used Toronto as a substitute for New York, Toronto's skyscraper canyons are far smaller than New York, and the city is a lot less dense. Downtown Toronto can't even compete against Midtown Manhattan size-wise and scale-wise. Toronto doesn't have the historic architecture that New York has at the skyscraper level. Many of the towers making up the skyline just came up in the past 40 years.

#398 ·
While some movies have used Toronto as a substitute for New York, Toronto's skyscraper canyons are far smaller than New York, and the city is a lot less dense. Downtown Toronto can't even compete against Midtown Manhattan size-wise and scale-wise. Toronto doesn't have the historic architecture that New York has at the skyscraper level. Many of the towers making up the skyline just came up in the past 40 years.
True about Toronto's size but compared to other US cities except Chicago, it's still denser.

I recently watched 50 Cent's movie Get Rich Or Die Trying. The movie was set in NY but when I saw the Scotia Plaza in the background, oh man I have to say it was shot in T-Dot!

#399 ·
True about Toronto's size but compared to other US cities except Chicago, it's still denser.

I recently watched 50 Cent's movie Get Rich Or Die Trying. The movie was set in NY but when I saw the Scotia Plaza in the background, oh man I have to say it was shot in T-Dot!
Toronto may look dense from the downtown vantage points, but it is actually quite spread out beyond its downtown core, with clusters of tall residentials at major nodal intersections, which are about 2km spaced out from each direction.

The film industry in Toronto is actually slowing as the Canadian Dollar has appreciated and there is more competition from other cities such as Vancouver and Montreal. It is less likely to see Toronto as a New York substitute these days.

Toronto is Canada's financial centre and largest city, hence I won't compare it to the secondary cities in the US.

#400 ·
Toronto may look dense from the downtown vantage points, but it is actually quite spread out beyond its downtown core, with clusters of tall residentials at major nodal intersections, which are about 2km spaced out from each direction.

The film industry in Toronto is actually slowing as the Canadian Dollar has appreciated and there is more competition from other cities such as Vancouver and Montreal. It is less likely to see Toronto as a New York substitute these days.

Toronto is Canada's financial centre and largest city, hence I won't compare it to the secondary cities in the US.

So what other cities could also sbustitute NYC these days?:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.