SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DISCUSS: Favorite North American Skylines

4M views 22K replies 924 participants last post by  Zaz965 
#1 ·
Discuss the best North American skyline here.

#483 ·
Nice, but not much density

Nice, but your Indy and Cleveland skylines just don't display much density. But atleast they look better than 20 years ago. (I do like the tall building in Cleveland...Key Center, I believe the tallest building between Chicago and New York City!).

#485 ·
It's now HQ for Bank of America which is one of the largest US banks.
Wachovia also has a big operation in Charlotte as well, and they're up there on the tallest skyscraper rankings.

Bank of America still trails the leading American bank by a few hundred billion in assets :

Citibank has a more prominent international retail operation as well.

#486 ·
Nice, but your Indy and Cleveland skylines just don't display much density. But atleast they look better than 20 years ago. (I do like the tall building in Cleveland...Key Center, I believe the tallest building between Chicago and New York City!).
True but Cleveland has at least one skyscraper over 700 ft.

Milwaukee also has a skyscraper over 600 ft. but it's skyline doesn't have much density.

Another underrated skyline would be Tulsa, Oklahoma

#487 ·
umm...what happened to calgary? for the size of the city, i think that calgary has rather large density...
my list:
1. chicago
2. NYC
3. T-O
4. calgary
and the rest...
and btw...vancouver never would be able to be near the top on my list...most of its buildings are res...it hardly has any commercial core (all of its comming to calgary :lol:)

#488 ·
umm...what happened to calgary? for the size of the city, i think that calgary has rather large density...
my list:
1. chicago
2. NYC
3. T-O
4. calgary
and the rest...
and btw...vancouver never would be able to be near the top on my list...most of its buildings are res...it hardly has any commercial core (all of its comming to calgary :lol:)
Yes, Calgary has quite a large skyline, to some extent more exciting than Vancouver. But Vancouver has a nice natural setting :)

Probably posted some of these earlier :

#493 ·
The parking alot I agree but not much of the storage warehouses. This is common in alot of US cities but those that come to my mind are Texas cities such as Houston or Dallas.
Actually, warehouses are still fairly common especially among port cities. New York has a whole bunch of those overlooking the Manhattan skyline across the river in Brooklyn, for example.

#494 ·
Actually, warehouses are still fairly common especially among port cities. New York has a whole bunch of those overlooking the Manhattan skyline across the river in Brooklyn, for example.
They still do unless they convert the warehouses into galleries or any commercial use just like what they did in The Enbarcadero in San Francisco.

#495 ·
They still do unless they convert the warehouses into galleries or any commercial use just like what they did in The Enbarcadero in San Francisco.
Warehouses in downtown waterfront cities is a common sight. The Embarcadero was beautified because the freeway was too badly damaged in the 89 quake. Even now, there are still a number of warehouses in the area alongside the promenade, palm-tree-lined streets, and the historic streetcar line.

#496 ·
Warehouses in downtown waterfront cities is a common sight. The Embarcadero was beautified because the freeway was too badly damaged in the 89 quake. Even now, there are still a number of warehouses in the area alongside the promenade, palm-tree-lined streets, and the historic streetcar line.
Again, these warehouses are converted to commercial use such as art galleries, restaurants, etc.

#497 ·
Again, these warehouses are converted to commercial use such as art galleries, restaurants, etc.
San Francisco's newly born waterfront boulevard is not full of restaurants and art galleries. A lot of the warehouses remain, and are closed off from the public, so while people are bicycling and strolling along the shores, they can't venture into these buildings. The activity begins to pick up along the western edge of the waterfront around Fisherman's Wharf .. surprise surprise.

#498 ·
No love for the whale's ******

I'm pretty surprised San Diego was never mentioned in this thread. Obviously it is not in the same league as New York or Chicago regarding height/density. What it lacks in those categories it makes up for in uniqueness and photographic quality. Certainly San Diego is more impressive than some cities that were mentioned including Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Tulsa, Pittsburgh, Denver or Cleveland (Cleveland has some tall buildings, but my god is that city ugly. I am convinced that their football team is named not for Paul Brown, but for the color of the city when seeing it from the air)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.