daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Old September 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 16

Nottingham Open To Be Scrapped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7337663.stm

Has this been discussed anywhere?

How do you feel about losing a relatively high profile tournament? To Eastbourne... Of all places!

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
ben77

Likes (Received): 20

Yeah, this was announced during the Nottingham Open in the summer. Not brilliant news but i'd imagine something will replace it.
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Mark76
Penguin fancier

What level was it on? I'd imagine it was pretty much a third tier event.

Perhaps you're hoping for the Nottingham Masters

Old September 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 26

Yes, it was announced just before this year's Nottingham Open that it would be the last. I think it's extremely short-sighted: there are no other men's ATP tour events north of London, so the LTA seem happy to reinforce the view that tennis is a soft, southern, middle-class sport only. I mean, Eastbourne! That's the way to get a young crowd in!!

Quote:
I'd imagine it was pretty much a third tier event.
It was an ATP Tour event - there are only about sixty-seventy such events in the world every year, so it had enormous prestige in tennis. The only other men's ATP Tour events in the UK are the Stella Artois (Queens) and Wimbledon.

Last edited by Bingethink; September 9th, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Patrick G

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingethink View Post
Yes, it was announced just before this year's Nottingham Open that it would be the last. I think it's extremely short-sighted: there are no other men's ATP tour events north of London, so the LTA seem happy to reinforce the view that tennis is a soft, southern, middle-class sport only. I mean, Eastbourne! That's the way to get a young crowd in!!

It was an ATP Tour event - there are only about sixty-seventy such events in the world every year, so it had enormous prestige in tennis. The only other men's ATP Tour events in the UK are the Stella Artois (Queens) and Wimbledon.
Nottingham has another ATP event in its place. Good news indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7778094.stm
Patrick G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 57

Great News for the sports capital of the east midlands!
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 40

Why is this good news for Leicester?
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 46

Here we go again. And how do you come to the conclusion that Leicester is the capital of sport in the east midlands? And how do you come to that conclusion BeestonLad? There is no such thing as the Capital of Sport.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Lessee

Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships... London

England (football) home games, FA, Cup, League Cup, Rugby League Challenge Cup and Football League Play-off Finals... Wembley, London

England (rugby union) home games... Twickenham, London.

So, you see Stefan, you're wrong. There is a capital of sport. And it's the same place that's the capital for every bloody thing else in this country

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 46

I mean't in the EM. But yeah I see where your coming from.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #11
BeestonLad
PQS

lol I knew someone would bite!

Facilities wise there is no contest at the moment, Nottingham wins hands down I dont even need to explain why. If you dispute it do a little research.

As for there being no such thing as a sports capital it was mearly a figure of speech, same as entertainment capital, obesity capital etc

Last edited by BeestonLad; December 12th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Bingethink

I'm afraid that this ATP Challenger event is less prestigious than the full ATP tour event it replaces.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #13
BeestonLad
PQS

Well its still better than having empty seats all year round, its a start I suppose
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
Facilities wise there is no contest at the moment, Nottingham wins hands down I dont even need to explain why. If you dispute it do a little research.
We've been through all this before, but what the hell...

- Leicester is the current European City of Sport

- The Special Olympics are to be held in Leicester in 2009. The second time the city has been chosen to host the event.

- Leicester City have won major trophies in the last 10 years, have comparable actual support to their local rivals (even in League One) and have the second largest fan base in the Midlands. The Walkers Stadium is bigger and better than the City Ground. There are potential "plans" to give Forest a 50,000 seater stadium and Milan Mandaric wants to extend The Walkers to 45,000. As it stands at present though, the two grounds are similar in size.

- Leicester Tigers are one of Europe's elite rugby clubs and win trophies on a regular basis. They are in the process of building a 30,000 seater stadium, which will be bigger and far grander than Nottingham's second stadium, the home of Notts County. Tigers will also fill their ground on a regular basis, whereas Notts County have flimsy crowds. The last I heard Nottingham Rugby Club were on the verge of collapse?

- Leicestershire County Cricket Club have won trophies in recent years and have a 12,000 seat ground. Now Trent Bridge is bigger and is a Test venue, so granted that beats what Leicester has to offer!

- Leicester Racecourse can accommodate 100,000 people

- A new speedway track is planned for the city

- A new cycling velodrome is planned for the city

- Two new large swimming pools are planned for the city centre
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #15
d4mo85
Tent-based twattery.

Likes (Received): 8

BeestonLad is still living on planet moron then

Don't be daft mate, come on..

On another note, i'm pleased about the ATP news.. even if it isn't a prestigious tournament.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Patrick G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
We've been through all this before, but what the hell...

- Leicester is the current European City of Sport

Yes and Liverpool is the Euro City of Culture so I don't read too much into that

- The Special Olympics are to be held in Leicester in 2009. The second time the city has been chosen to host the event.

Fair enough

- Leicester City have won major trophies in the last 10 years, have comparable actual support to their local rivals (even in League One) and have the second largest fan base in the Midlands. The Walkers Stadium is bigger and better than the City Ground. There are potential "plans" to give Forest a 50,000 seater stadium and Milan Mandaric wants to extend The Walkers to 45,000. As it stands at present though, the two grounds are similar in size.

What major trophies? Two league cups and they were both more than 5 years ago. If we are talking about the here and now Leicester are in the 3rd division and have virtually the same capacity as Forest. Otherwise I think a historical comparison will favour Nottingham. Also Nottingham has two professional football clubs

- Leicester Tigers are one of Europe's elite rugby clubs and win trophies on a regular basis. They are in the process of building a 30,000 seater stadium, which will be bigger and far grander than Nottingham's second stadium, the home of Notts County. Tigers will also fill their ground on a regular basis, whereas Notts County have flimsy crowds. The last I heard Nottingham Rugby Club were on the verge of collapse?

Its a cheap shot about Nottingham RFC, utterly diplorable in fact. Yes the tigers are a big Rugby club but they are the only team of note in the city

- Leicestershire County Cricket Club have won trophies in recent years and have a 12,000 seat ground. Now Trent Bridge is bigger and is a Test venue, so granted that beats what Leicester has to offer!

Say no more

- Leicester Racecourse can accommodate 100,000 people

When was the last time you had 100,000 people there? Nottingham has a horse track and a dog track

- A new speedway track is planned for the city

Planned. Yes and Nottingham has a new shopping centre 'planned'. Planned means squat.

- A new cycling velodrome is planned for the city

See above

- Two new large swimming pools are planned for the city centre
And again

Leicester has some fine facilities but as a city with a Test Cricket venue, the national water sports centre, the national ice centre, two professional football grounds (one of which has been used to stage European Championships games), the best Tennis Centre north of the Watford gap and more Olympic training centres than any other east midlands city, I would say Nottingham is more diverse and has better facilities.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #17
ben77

Likes (Received): 20

Trent Bridge or Grace Road (Trent Bridge)
Historic City Ground or Identikit plastic Crisp Bowl (Ask any football fan in the country and they will say City Ground)
Nottingham Tennis Centre or Nothing
National Ice Centre or Nothing
National Watersports Centre or Nothing
Meadow Lane or Welford Road (Meadow lane currently but Welford in the future)
Harvey Hadden or Saffron Lane (probably not much in it)

As for Special Olympics i personally can't think of a more Special place to host it.
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Patrick G

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mo85 View Post
BeestonLad is still living on planet moron then

Don't be daft mate, come on..

On another note, i'm pleased about the ATP news.. even if it isn't a prestigious tournament.
I did not realise having an opinion makes someone daft? Its totally subjective depending on what one would class as better facilities.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #19
Bingethink

So, really, your argument is based on things you don't have yet, the undoubted success of the Leicester Tigers and winning the League Cup success under Martin O'Neill (Forest supporter)??

(I've just had to google "European City of Sport" because I'm afraid Leicester having this prestigious accolade had passed me by. It seems you are not the European City of Sport, you are a European City of Sport! - Britain's 2008 nominee.)

The Tigers are clearly streets ahead of Nottingham Rugby.

Trent Bridge is clearly streets ahead of Leicester CC.

Forest and Leicester are, realistically, very similar-sized clubs, even if you find yourselves in the league below us right now. (I shan't even mention our historic trophies, but I wouldn't start using decade-old league cup victories as a measure of your current success). We also have a second football league club, albeit Notts. We're the home of UK ice hockey (and the Nottingham Panthers can attract up to 7-8,000 spectators). Our new boxing world champion won his bout in front of thousands of fans at our Arena. The National Water Sports Centre remains an important white water facility. And out Tennis Centre has the only ATP (Challenger!)) tournament in the East Mids.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #20
d4mo85
Tent-based twattery.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
I did not realise having an opinion makes someone daft? Its totally subjective depending on what one would class as better facilities.

Don't be so serious Patrick G, me and BeestonLad enjoy a bit of banter with eachother.

I'll be passing through Beeston later actually.. hmm.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: