SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Bus Terminals | MTC Bus | Other Road Transport Updates

4M views 14K replies 601 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to updates on Chennai Metropolitan transport corporation (buses operated by Tamilnadu government) and Suburban train services operated by Southern Railways.

These two are the lifeline of public transportation in Chennai Metropolitan currently.

Dedicated thread is needed as we see lots of improvement in MTC for past 2 years.

I request members to post news/projects regarding MTC and Suburban in this thread instead of Chennai projects thread.

#27 ·
Its 20

^^Recently, I read that MTC's gonna add 10/15 (I don't remember the exact number) volvo buses to its existing fleet. Could be that one...
Its not 15.. they are adding 20 more to the existing 10 totalling 30... 10 were proposed to be given to Adayar Depot to be operated along the Rajiv Gandhi Salai.. so probably we can expect the 10 volvo from t'row who knows mabbe even today in the Rajiv Gandhi Salai..

#28 ·
Spotted 10 new volvo buses inside adyar depot today. i suppose all of them will run on the it corridor.
Nice information...

I think it may be for Adyar-Sirsueri sipcot service via LB road and IT corridor...

It will be nice if MTC develops a depot at Siruseri, just like E-city in Bangalore.

#29 ·
Easy Search for chennai Bus Routes & numbers

Hi Guys,
let me share this useful website with you, it will give the required bus route along with bus number; you need to mention only the source and destination bus Stop, it will provide u the number of buses on the route, and if not existing any direct route, it will guide u with single connecting location to reach your destination..... Enjoy

http://rab.in/bus/chennai/

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

#30 ·
Hi Guys,
let me share this useful website with you, it will give the required bus route along with bus number; you need to mention only the source and destination bus Stop, it will provide u the number of buses on the route, and if not existing any direct route, it will guide u with single connecting location to reach your destination..... Enjoy

http://rab.in/bus/chennai/

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Cool. There is one small problem tho. It just does not work

#34 ·
Bus tickets glisten with celluloid charm

CHENNAI: Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) bus tickets just got peppy and colourful with advertisements being printed on both sides.

Pyramid Saimira’s Tamil film Saroja was the first to make it on the tickets.

The front side of the ticket with the details of the ticket number, date, time, bus stop names and other codes has a teaser of the film at the bottom. And if one turns the little piece of paper, a still from the film with details of SMS contest are put in. Different stills have been used and printed using eight-colour bright UV ink.

“We have tendered the white space on tickets. We get the rolls supplied free of cost and the agency also pays us a royalty. In turn they charge for the ads from different companies. We will, however, keep tab on the kind of advertisements that are printed. They have to be approved by the corporation before being printed,” an MTC official said.

By this move the corporation will save about Rs.15 lakh every month that is spent on procuring ticket rolls. Presently around 2.5 lakh ticket rolls are being used by the corporation every month.

Praveen Mehra, of Mehra Forms, the company that has taken the tender for supply of rolls, said this was a new medium for those wanting to advertise.

“The tickets have a new look. They have pictures. To start with, we provided free advertising space to organisations such as Life Insurance Corporation, LG Mobile, ITC, NIIT and HDFC Standard Life. You find such tickets in Mumbai. We are waiting and watching how this medium will click and how advertisers will respond,” he said.

With diesel prices going up and the corporation not wanting to burden passengers with hikes in ticket prices, MTC is looking at alternative avenues to rake in revenue.

“We have also recently launched advertising behind seats inside the buses. Tenders have been called for ads on the rear glasses too,” the MTC official added.

R. Sridharan, vice-president (marketing) of Diamond Publicities, which has the tender for advertising on the rear side of the buses, said for the past one month they introduced back panels with lights.

“This is the first time in the country that panels in the rear of buses are lit up. We are using 4 feet x 3 feet panels with imported aesthetic frames and imported lights that consume minimal power,” he explained.

Though MTC has already wrapped a few of its buses in advertisements, there is more in the offing in the form of advertising.

#35 ·
GPS for 600 more buses

Chennai, Sept. 28: The Metropolitan Transport Corporation is planning to introduce another 600 buses fitted with the Global Positioning system in a phased manner by the end of this year. This decision follows the success of the GPS fitted on a few city buses. Debrnath Sarangi, secretary, transport department, said the system was introduced on a trial basis and after two years of its success, it had been decided to install the system on another 600 MTC buses.

Currently there are 55 GPS buses that operate on two routes connecting Avadi and Broadway to Tambaram. The system has devices on each vehicle that indicates the real-time orientation and location of each bus, and the time taken to reach each bus stop. Besides, the passengers are kept up-to-date with arrival times and are supplied with pertinent traffic information.

“We don’t have to shout any more in the buses when the stop comes, as the passengers are alerted by the new system,” Kamaraj, an MTC bus driver said. The technology allowed the drivers to communicate with the control room at the time of need and should be extended to other buses. “It is of great help to people from other states as they don’t have to depend on others to locate the bus stops,” said Sadanandan, a commuter at Guindy.

http://www.deccan.com/chennaichronicle/City/CityNews.asp#GPS for 600 more buses

#37 ·
^^

I am also waiting to use that volvo service. :)

Presently i am using M51(Thiruvanmiyur-Tambaram east via Shols) till Shols and then either Share auto or Van when i miss my corporate bus... Many MTC buses dont have stop at Siruseri :bash:!!

Hope Volvo buses starts from Siruseri or have stop at Siruseri SIPCOT if it runs from Kelambakkam.

Surely Volvo buses will be a hit one in IT corridor... since there many ITians who miss corporate bus and uses MTC/Share Auto/Vans.