SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Bus Terminals | MTC Bus | Other Road Transport Updates

4M views 14K replies 601 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to updates on Chennai Metropolitan transport corporation (buses operated by Tamilnadu government) and Suburban train services operated by Southern Railways.

These two are the lifeline of public transportation in Chennai Metropolitan currently.

Dedicated thread is needed as we see lots of improvement in MTC for past 2 years.

I request members to post news/projects regarding MTC and Suburban in this thread instead of Chennai projects thread.

#42 ·
14 new AC Volvo buses to be introduced in Chennai on 08.10.2008.

Place of inauguration : Anna Square
Inaugurated by : Mr. Stalin

Source : Tamilmurasu - Chennai edition 07.10.2008
Full article:

7 வழித் தடங்களில் புதிய ஏ.சி. பஸ்கள்

சென்னை, அக்.7-
மாநகரில் கூடுதலாக 14 ஏ.சி. பஸ்களை உள்ளாட்சித் துறை அமைச்சர் ஸ்டாலின் நாளை தொடங்கி வைக்கிறார்.
சென்னை மாநகர போக்குவரத்துக் கழகம் சார்பில் தினசரி 3,000 பஸ்கள் இயக்கப்படுகின்றன. இவற்றில் 10 ஏ.சி. வால்வோ பஸ்களும் அடங்கும். 2008 -2009க்குள் சென்னையில் பஸ்களின் எண்ணிக்கை 4,000மாக உயர்த்தப்படும் என்று போக்குவரத்துத் துறை அமைச்சர் கே.என்.நேரு அறிவித்துள்ளார்.
இப்போது 14 ஏ.சி. வால்வோ பஸ்கள் தயார் நிலையில் உள்ளன. இந்த பஸ்களை நாளை காலை அண்ணா சதுக்கம் அருகே நடைபெறும் விழாவில், அமைச்சர் மு.க.ஸ்டாலின் கொடி அசைத்து தொடங்கி வைக்கிறார். போக்குவரத்துத் துறை அமைச்சர் கே.என்.நேரு, செயலாளர் தேபேந்திரநாத் சாரங்கி, மாநகர போக்குவரத்துக் கழக மேலாண் இயக்குனர் ராமசுப்பிரமணியன் உட்பட பலர் கலந்து கொள்கிறார்கள்.
தி.நகர் - கேளம்பாக்கம், திருவான்மியூர் - கிழக்கு தாம்பரம், தி.நகர் - ஸ்ரீபெரும்புதூர் உட்பட 7 புதிய வழித்தடங்களில் ஏ.சி. பஸ்கள் இயக்கப்பட உள்ளன. ‘ஏ.சி. பஸ்களில் குறைந்த கட்டணம் ரூ.10, அதிகபட்சமாக ரூ.50. தி.நகரில் இருந்து ஸ்ரீபெரும்புதூர் வரை ஏ.சி. பஸ்சில் செல்ல ரூ.35 மட்டுமே கட்டணம்’ என்று மாநகர போக்குவரத்து அதிகாரி தெரிவித்தார்.

#44 ·
I guess more volvos will come in after this. Coz the first 10 volvos were in trial basis, and now juzz 20 more wont be enough for a city with such high temp and population.
The main problem is state tax in Tamil Nadu which makes the volvo bus cost to 78 lakhs as against Karnataka where it is only 58 lakhs!!
MK should reduce the state tax and introduce atleast 100 volvos as against 4000 ordinary buses and should also introduce volvos in long distance routes.

#50 ·
^^

nice info. on volvo....

Now volvo has covered most of the important landmarks/business areas of the city.

Central, Airport, CMBT, 100 feet road, Mount road, T.nagar, IT Corridor, Sriperumbudur, GST road etc.,

But i think still Egmore is not yet connected by Volvo...

#51 ·
the volvos are out. saw 554, 570 and 19b ac buses. they seem to be spreading out these buses on different routes instead of increasing their frequency on one particular route. i wonder which one is better?
I think they should target the routes that has most people talking their four wheelers to office in the morning and come back in the evening, with out having to roam around Chennai due to official reasons. The reason being.... that way those people will start opting for volvo buses instead of their Cars. IT corridor will be an best example for such route. Ultimately this should target to replace the Cars on the road.. I guess

#55 ·
Yes, there are, but not here. In Mumbai :eek:hno:

For those who dont understand, the above article is about air conditioned bus stops in Mumbai
In my humble opinion, these won't be as successful in the long run as they appear now. Planting more umbriferous trees alongside the road will be the best option, especially for cities such as Chennai and Mumbai.

#58 ·
14 AC buses introduced

CHENNAI: The Metropolitan Transport Corporation has introduced 14 new AC Volvo buses in the city.

A press release from the Corporation says the decision is based on the good patronage to the 10 AC Volvo buses now in service.

The new buses were inaugurated by Local Administration Minister M.K. Stalin, in the presence of Transport Minister K.N. Nehru.

Transport secretary Debendranath Sarangi and MTC Managing Director M. Ramasubramanian participated in the function. Two AC Volvo buses have been introduced in each of these routes: T51 Thiruvanmiyur-Tambaram East; 19 B T.Nagar-Sholinganallur- Kelambakkam; 521 A Broadway-Tiruporur; 29C Perambur-Thiruvanmiyur; 570 Koyambedu CMBT-Kelambakkam; 370 Avadi-Thiruvanmiyur; and 554 T.Nagar-Sriperumbudur.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/12/stories/2008101259920400.htm

#60 ·
CHENNAI: The Metropolitan Transport Corporation has introduced 14 new AC Volvo buses in the city.

A press release from the Corporation says the decision is based on the good patronage to the 10 AC Volvo buses now in service.

The new buses were inaugurated by Local Administration Minister M.K. Stalin, in the presence of Transport Minister K.N. Nehru.

Transport secretary Debendranath Sarangi and MTC Managing Director M. Ramasubramanian participated in the function. Two AC Volvo buses have been introduced in each of these routes: T51 Thiruvanmiyur-Tambaram East; 19 B T.Nagar-Sholinganallur- Kelambakkam; 521 A Broadway-Tiruporur; 29C Perambur-Thiruvanmiyur; 570 Koyambedu CMBT-Kelambakkam; 370 Avadi-Thiruvanmiyur; and 554 T.Nagar-Sriperumbudur.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/12/stories/2008101259920400.htm

Can any one tell the route of 521A and 570?