search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #2301
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgis View Post
The only thing that puzzles me is the choice of area to finish first, the completed section with the render on the north side sits between the only two unfinished facades, thus building work continues against it and the balustrade remains incomplete the despite removal of scaffolding. I'm sure this won't be a problem and all is working to plan, it just seems an odd starting point for the stucco render since the entire south side and most of the west are already structurally complete.
It is indeed a little strange and unfortunate. :/ Different facades were built by different contractors. The contractors of the western and southern facade were faster. Though the facade most Berliners and visitors will see is the facade facing Lustgarten. There's also the entrance to the Humboldt Box, so I guess that is the reason why they decided to uncover and display this part for the two days of the "offene Baustelle" (open construction site) this weekend, even though they hardly were able to finish it.
I hope they will also finish portal V till the weekend, so that we will also see an a bit more elaborately decorated part of the facade. They don't even need to plaster and paint it. The part they uncovered now isn't as impressive to be honest and we already saw what that part looks like anyway with the sample wall, which they displayed until some months ago.

Fudgis liked this post
Tiaren está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #2302
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 2246

Thanks, Vulgow!

Last edited by The Eagle; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #2303
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 653

Can't believe it's actually happening. The finished part looks soooo good, I spent a couple of minutes just staring at it. Honestly can't wait to see the rest done, the building will be beyond beautiful. If I were Buckingham Palace, I would be concerned for my status of the most well-known city palace in the world.
Also, I find it interesting that no one is mentioning or showing the photos of the modern facade, seems we're just pretending it doesn't exist.

Fudgis liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #2304
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 117

Regarding that Modern "Fassade"

One thing that I don't get is how architects seem to think that they ought to graft something modern onto something from a entirely different era. If it's a 17th century building, then why not just continue the wall on around in the same style as the other three walls even if that's not the way that it was originally?

The best comment that I have heard is from my home town of Little Rock here in the U.S. The state supreme court building was built about 1960 in "modernistic" style with a circular section as part of it. When they added to it, they went back to neoclassical architecture. The local joke is that it now looks like "star ship Enterprise docked at Versailles."
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #2305
qjone2

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
One thing that I don't get is how architects seem to think that they ought to graft something modern onto something from a entirely different era. If it's a 17th century building, then why not just continue the wall on around in the same style as the other three walls even if that's not the way that it was originally?
While it is disappointing, it's better than some of the proposed alternatives. Originally, a panel of 'experts' determined that the Stadtschlo▀ should be combined with the (now demolished) Palace of the Republic. That would have been a modernist's delight ľ that is to saying jarring and unpleasant to the eye.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #2306
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post

The best comment that I have heard is from my home town of Little Rock here in the U.S. The state supreme court building was built about 1960 in "modernistic" style with a circular section as part of it. When they added to it, they went back to neoclassical architecture. The local joke is that it now looks like "star ship Enterprise docked at Versailles."
To be fair and honest, the original Schloss was also a mix of different buildings and styles that didn't work quite well together. Looking at it now, I think I wouldn't like a complete reconstruction of the original building, but, as you said, a fourth facade and courtyards that are stylistically part of what was once an overwhelmingly Baroque palace. A proposal for that actually exists, but I was not fond of it as it felt like a plain copy that just tried to imitate the rhythm and style of the three Baroque facades. It just wasn't creative and innovative. IMO, if there ever is a change of heart for Berliners and Germans and they decide they want to replace the modern additions (never, ever, going to happen), the Schloss should be fully finished in Baroque style, as it was probably always meant to be, but not in a way in which the fourth facade and parts of the courtyards that weren't Baroque would look like mock-ups to supplement the rest of the building, but rather as architectural and artistic marvels in their own right, like the other facades. There are probably few architects that would be able to make that happen, but I honestly believe it's possible with the help of cultural experts that can guide and help them with proportions and ornamentation, the two biggest enemies of New Classical Architecture that can turn the most well-intentioned building into a kitsch paradise. I understand it's far-fetched, but miracles happen.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #2307
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Likes (Received): 11737

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
While it is disappointing, it's better than some of the proposed alternatives. Originally, a panel of 'experts' determined that the Stadtschlo▀ should be combined with the (now demolished) Palace of the Republic. That would have been a modernist's delight ľ that is to saying jarring and unpleasant to the eye.
To me, the idea of combining a modern fašade to the faithful reconstruction of the rest of the building is a good idea, in itself.
However, in my opinion, the problem lies in the modernist fašade itself. It's unattractive and clashes too much with the reconstructed sides. Preserving one of the 4 fašades of the Kulturpalast would have been just as ugly and conflicting (or maybe a bit less, since the Kulturpalast was a beautiful modernist building), but at least it would have retained the historical value of the Kulturpalast.

I see the choice to add a modern fašade as a link, between the past history of Germany and the present. However... Architecturally speaking, I wouldn't say that the present of Germany is represented by the squared and geometric pattern of Stella's fašade! It looks old and outdated. If the purpose was instead to link the reconstruction to the architecture of the DDR... What's the value of building, in 2017, a fictional and invented mock-up of a building from that era?

According to me, currently the most blooming architectural styles of Germany are:

- Expressionism/Deconstructivism (Ó la Frank Gehry, Libeskind...)

Source: http://m.mobomarket.net/free-downloa...294506376.html

- Reconstructions

Spurce: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rliner_Dom.jpg

- Simplified Neo-classicism/Neo Art-Deco

Source: http://www.noefer.de/

Each one of these styles would have given a better modern fašade than the one which was chosen for this building.
N.B.: For "reconstruction" I'm referring to a faithful reconstruction of the previous fašade, as shown in the picture, and not a 4th invented historicist copy of the other 3 fašades.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #2308
Tiaren

The modern eastern facade wasn't just chosen because it was considered the best, but because it was part of the complete package of Franco Stella's design. What many really liked about his design was the large hall behind the main portal as some sort of agora (Greek for a public gathering place)...

...as well as his idea of a forum that connects the Lustgarten in the north to Breite Stra▀e in the south, which also integrates two more baroque portals:

In general one has to say it was a blessing that Franco Stella was chosen as the architect of the Schloss, for the simple reason that he actually has deep respect for the old Schloss. He was an advocate of the original dome, thanks to him three more baroque portals are going to be reconstructed, including reconstructed passage ways and the round corner was added, for which he gave way by reducing the length of his eastern facade. On top of that he is also an advocate of the historic surroundings of the Schloss, including the Neptune Fountain and the Rossebńndiger statues.
The eastern facade is the necessary bitter pill we have to take for getting so much more of the old Schloss than what was initially planned.
I also think Franco Stella would not oppose tearing down his eastern facade and replacing it with more reconstructions in the future. He's that humble and respectful.
Other modern architects, for example Kulka, who rebuilt the Potsdam palace, harbour a deep aversion for the palaces that they are supposed to reconstruct and they put obstacle after obstacle in the way of proper reconstruction work.

Jasper90, Titan Man, Fudgis, makoppa liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; Yesterday at 07:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #2309
d.henney

Likes (Received): 208

Nobody has a deep respect for the old Schloss when he doesnt want to reconstruct the whole thing.

the color: when finished the building will look like a big piece of noble cheese. xD Maybe the Berlin people will call it „Kńseblock“. ^.^

Last edited by d.henney; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
d.henney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #2310
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.henney View Post
Nobody has a deep respect for the old Schloss when he doesnt want to reconstruct the whole thing.
Right, because the architect alone has all decisional power and on top of that the countless millions to pay for that.
Because of Stella and his engagement we got more Schloss than we ever thought we would get: The original dome, three additional court facades, including passage ways, and the round corner. He also is in favor of the historic surroundings. He even joined a heated debate with senate construction director Regula LŘscher, backing Wilhelm von Boddien in this case, whithout whom we wouldn't have any Schloss at all.
All his modern architecture is restrained and acts like a framing to highlight the original reconstructed parts. Wherever he had to give way for additional reconstructions he did.
To say Stella can't possibly have deep respect for the Schloss, just because he doesn't unilaterally reconstruct the complete building, is frankly nonsense.

By the way, here's a first glimpse of the inside portal that we see here:

Quote:

www.spreeradio.de

The darker toned bust of the Pheme is an original piece, that was incorporated again.
No worries, the part in between the outer portal and this inside portal will also be originally reconstructed (also thanks to Franco Stella). Right now we see blank concrete there.

Kampflamm liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; Today at 11:55 AM.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella