daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscraper News & Discussion

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1480

Darwins 200metre twin tower proposal!!!

wow, this would be excellent if darwin city council would approve a bldg double the allowed height limit?
posted by Deep north

$500m twin towers plan
By EMMA GUMBLETON
16dec06

AN ARCHITECT wants to build a futuristic gateway to Darwin's city centre with two giant towers _ one 55 storeys and the other at least 35. The Darwin City Gate development _ estimated to cost between $300-500million _ is planned for the corner of Daly and McMinn streets. Both towers would be taller than the Territory's tallest building _ the 33-storey Evolution apartment block, which is being built on McMinn St. The 55-storey tower would be about 200m tall and would be linked to the smaller skyscraper by a bridge across Daly St.

City Gate could be finished by 2012. It will house 12,000sqm of retail and 40,000sqm of office space, a 300-room 4 or 5-star hotel and more than 200 apartments. The higher levels, floors 51 to 55, are planned to contain a communications tower/centre, observation deck, restaurant and art gallery. A second bridge will wind over the major intersection to the old railway line path.

Capital Architecture director Peter Villis said he was planning for a Darwin 10 to 20 years into the future. ``Planning in Darwin allows for 40 storeys and I think the next level of development that needs to emerge in this city, looking at its long-term growth, is 55 storeys,'' he said. ``But in addition to that, the height will allow it to be more significant than the Waterfront, which is going to be something like 23 storeys.

``This project is visionary and will bring change to Darwin. It is at the outer edge of possibility and that's what vision is about _ it leads people to the next step.'' Mr Villis said the next two years would be spent in public consultation and formal planning approval. After that, City Gate could take three years to build.

``This is the entry of the city and should be the entry _ if you look at it at the moment it looks like the back end of town but it should actually be the front end,'' he said.

``In Darwin today, I wouldn't want to lodge an application. But it's something we don't want to do until people understand and agree with it.''

Mr Villis said he was in talks with department stores to take up retail space.

The building is designed in the shape of a gecko, tying in Aboriginal culture and the tropical environment.

Sponsored Links

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 258

Great news but i hope it's very subliminal in terms of the gecko idea.
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Boeing747

Likes (Received): 0

Great news! I hope this will within couple of decades transform Darwin into Singapore or KL style city. There's lots of work that could be done there.

Hope it get's approved.
Boeing747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 17

This is an interesting turn of events.

Shape of a gecko eh? Albeit a small render posted above, still just can not see the resemblance:

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #5
shrewd.user

Likes (Received): 1

wow... it would really put darwin up a notch....

i hope it gets done, i would assume there are a lot of people in darwin allergic to progress / change.... (you know NIMBY's....)
shrewd.user no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #6
CULWULLA

The "gateway" site is located adjacent to Apollo motorhomes in this map.
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 235

You are &$%*#@^ kidding me!!!!!!!! 200metres!!!! Darwin really is becoming the Dubai of Australia. I don't mind admiting that as a Townsvillean I get more and more jealous of Darwin everyday. A couple of years ago it was like a frontier town that we could look down on, and our Holiday Inn was the tallest building in northern Australia. Now it's got residential towers to dwarf the suger shaker coming out of its ears, leaving Townsville choking on its dust. It's not fair

Muse, I wish I wish the geckos in my house looked like that

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Locke
alright, kick-ass

Likes (Received): 331

It's too short, they should stack em one on the other.

I mean it's going to stick out, you might as well embrace the concept to it's maximum.

Last edited by Locke; December 18th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Boeing747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It's too short, they should stack em one on the other.

Nothing to lose, it's not like it's going to effect the skyline - what skyline!:P
With 200m it would have higher skyline than Adelaide. 200m would be great. You didn't really expect 300m for a first decent highrise in Darwin.

I'm more disappointed about Gold Coast... Q1 now only seems like something that happened by accident and now we're only going to see 200m for decades.

200m is a great start for Darwin.
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #10
shrewd.user

nah, its the best looking set of twins i've seen in ages... and more than 200m in darwin would stick out horribly....
shrewd.user no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Locke
alright, kick-ass

Likes (Received): 331

Yeah like 200 wont' stick out!

Why not 300? What's the difference, it's like the difference between walking round the city in boxers or briefs, you are going to stick out either way, the difference is academic. So what's holding you back? Some perceived notion that you should restrain yourself, for what?

Stack those two towers and you'll be most of the way there.

I think a 300m tower would be mindblowing, now that would put Darwin on the map.

200 is decent though, better than Sydney can do atm.
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Boeing747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why not 300? What's the difference, it's like the difference between walking round the city in boxers or briefs, you are going to stick out either way, the difference is academic. So what's holding you back? Some perceived notion that you should restrain yourself, for what?

Stack those two towers and you'll be most of the way there.

I think a 300m tower would be mindblowing, now that would put Darwin on the map.

200 is decent though, better than Sydney can do atm.
Come on... all Australian cities really blowed in highrises department for last couple of years... Year 2006 completely sucked in all Australian cities. I'm even sceptical whether this gets approved at 200m. NIMBYS would blow up whole world if this was 300m.

If this gets built it would push the height limit higher and it would make way to potential higher buildings... but as we know from Gold Coast and Melbourne examples, after new tallest was built nobody had guts to build something higher or at least comparable. Even this Q2 and Eureka2 bull@#&* was just bunch of crap.
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #13
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Dammit, damn it to hell!!! I don't think Townsville will be going one better any time soon. Why Darwin, Why!!!
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 214

Stable business propostion or 200m towers. Damn you Perth builders.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #15
CULWULLA

well if you read article, the height limit will be the 33storey/99m Evolution currently uc.Im not sure how council and aviation authority will react to a project that doubles the current height limitation.?I really do hope somehting like this will be built but i cant see it.ill be very suprised if they do.
locke- you sound like you need a holiday? lol
where talking Darwin not Dubai.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #16
CULWULLA

ive updated my skyline with massive City Gate towers.

Skyline Art liked this post

Last edited by CULWULLA; December 18th, 2006 at 11:28 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #17
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 732

Go for it Darwin!
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #18
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 508

From what i can see, it looks fantastic!! But i'd be surprised if it happens..
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #19
sydney_lad
Registered Abuser

Wicked!
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #20
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
From what i can see, it looks fantastic!! But i'd be surprised if it happens..
My thoughts exactly!!
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote