daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1
multifamilyinvestor

Likes (Received): 0

Why was Tampa Urban Development News Locked?

I know this is a month and a half after the fact... But this has bothered me considerably for some time. I know the whole Forum is Tampa/St. Petersburg - but if St. Petersburg can have its own thread - why not Tampa? Did I miss something here? In my opinion - the removal of the Tampa thread detracts from this forum
multifamilyinvestor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #2
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

I thought it was because now we can create much more specific threads about individual projects thereby eliminating the need for a city wide non-specific thread.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #3
multifamilyinvestor

I saw the Tampa Urban Development thread as a general overview of what was going on in Tampa akin to the St. Petersburg/South Pinellas thread and the Clearwater/Northern Pinellas thread. Any particular project or area can be blown up in greater detail - but I find these threads useful to sumarzie everything that is going on and get high level view.
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #4
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

I may be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #5
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 41

There was too much noise in that thread according to Jason. It was supposed to be concise--what was being developed in Tampa--not a discussion of the projects.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 460

^right... it was just a list... a place holder for synoptic info and links to projects threaded elsewhere in the forum... but people kept posting in it endlessly, no matter how many times it was moderated, or people were instructed to stop and why.

So, no more list, I guess. It became unreasonable to expect moderation to spend so much time making a single thread right, so I got rid of it.

Perhaps the attention given the issue will get folks to understand not to post in that thread, but just to offer updates only. (think of it as a one way street. info goes in, but nobody can talk back)... I may dredge it back up sometime.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #7
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 144

So, I bumped this thread back up because I'd like to get input on what should be done with the development news thread. I have thoguht that that thread should be unstickied, and a new stickied thread put on top called "Tampa Development List." The thread could remain locked with it's single post as the list except when Jason or I do a major update,(I tend to do updates in one large lump at a time) then we could simply post that it's up to date.

Now I do think there could be some sort of "Development News and Notes thread". It could be for stuff to small for its own thread and that really doesn't fit under a category. Of course, all projects should get their own thread, but this could be used for questions and such.

Also, does anyone think the Skyway Cafe should be made the "front forum" and this forum made the "development news" forum? If you don't know what I mean, check out the Miami forum.

Lastly, I'm thinking transposrtation threads should get their own sub-forum maybe, and I know Jason brought up a classifieds forum in the "Condos in St. Pete thread".

Anyway I would appreciate any other suggestions anyone has for the organization of this forum. And althoguh I can't speak for Jason, I'm guessing he may too.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #8
multifamilyinvestor

Personally I would like to see the thread unlocked and remain stickied. If you feel that the topic "Tampa Urban Development News" is too broad, how about breaking it up into smaller categories like "Tampa Development News - Downtown", "Tampa Development News - Westshore", etc... I am just confused as why St. Pete, Brandon and Clearwater are all worthy of a development news sticky and not Tampa. That is my input since you asked.
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #9
multifamilyinvestor

And if Brandon deserves a stickied thread then maybe Pasco should have one as well. Again, just my two cents.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #10
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 571

Here's my idea. Yeah I saw the Miami forum today, I think a similar thing should be done here.

Sub-Forums

* Development News (general development news)
* Tampa Transportation Issues (Traffic and Transportation Issues)

I think the Tampa International Airport Thread should also go in the Transportation sub-forum as well.

Stickies
* St Pete/S. Pinellas
* N. Pinellas/Clearwater
* Brandon
* WestShore
* Downtown Tampa
* SouthShore

In addition, I think the general development list (Tampa Urban Development News) should remain as is. Just because it is a general list of developments.

I'm all for a transportation sub-forum. Like I said above, the TIA thread should go in there also, if the sub-forum is created.

If a transportation sub-forum should be made, here is what I think should be sticky threads in there.

*Tampa International Airport
*Tampa Transit Vision Discussion
*General list (similar to the TPA Urban Development News Thread) of ongoing interstate/highway projects.

That's all I have for now...
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

Last edited by HARTride 2012; October 9th, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #11
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

That's a good idea, FlFuture. Change the name from Tampa Urban Development News to Tampa Urban Development List or Tampa's Next Urban Project or something close to these offerings.

Like you, it bothered me at first, multifamilyinvestor. Hell, I didn't understand why it was locked either. But then I went back and read through page after page and I finally understood.

In all fairness and to his credit, (check it out for yourself if you have any doubts) time after time Jason pointed out that the Tampa Urban Development News sticky was created to specifically identify ONLY new projects or developments in Tampa. In other words, if Novare proposed a new tower, then it would be placed under this sticky - just one time, not over and over... However, if Malio's restaurant had a positive write up in the Tribune, then it should be noted elsewhere.

In other words, the TUDN sticky wasn't intended to be a catch-all for information regarding projects that had already been mentioned and yet many of us (me certainly more than I care to admit ) added posts that had nothing to do with a new project. That wasn't the purpose of the thread; it did become a catch-all; and Jason finally decided that enough was enough.

Anywho... at this point in time, I think most of us have come to understand why the sticky was locked. Needless to say, I think FlFuture's suggestion to make a name change would probably rectify this situation - and if not, then certainly, a public flogging is in order (great youtube material).

just my

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote