search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2017, 12:13 PM   #2001
LP18

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital09 View Post
Prinny Quay have announced plans to make a walkway to the new Hull Venue and for more bars/cafe's/restaurants on the bottom deck. Would be great if that area could turn in to a pre/post gig drinking and eating area like the Printworks in Manchester and The Gate in Newcastle.

would also help in being a good walkway from the Venue to the old town.

Sounds good. Hopefully they get some big names in and not a load of takeaways.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tell us there's some "exciting new eateries" and it ends up being burger king and McDonald's...
LP18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:43 PM   #2002
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital09 View Post
Prinny Quay have announced plans to make a walkway to the new Hull Venue and for more bars/cafe's/restaurants on the bottom deck. Would be great if that area could turn in to a pre/post gig drinking and eating area like the Printworks in Manchester and The Gate in Newcastle.

would also help in being a good walkway from the Venue to the old town.
That will probably explain the series of empty units on the main deck where the body shop and foot locker used to be. Thats where they may be looking to create the link through to the venue.
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:50 PM   #2003
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP18 View Post

On the rent thing - why don't they understand that they're causing a serious problem for themselves?
Similar situation with the Trinity House ownership of the south side of Whitefriargate who seem quite happy to have a occupancy rate that cant be any higher than 50% and has been that way for several years

LP18 liked this post
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #2004
whayul

Likes (Received): 47

Gadget shop 'Menkind' seem to be opening a pop-up shop in Hull for Christmas again, presumably this will be in St Stephens like it was a few years ago (probably where The Body Shop was).
whayul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2005
Matza22

Likes (Received): 15

Never been that impressed with it. It's not as good as red 5
Matza22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #2006
whayul

After the initial speculation a few months ago, it looks like Hamley's are in fact opening a store in the PQ outlet. Not a bad addition to be fair, they're quite high profile and will add a good bit of variety.

Hopefully they've got some names lined up for when the new food court/restaurant area is meant opens next year. Getting a Wagamamas or a TGI Fridays (which is currently going around on the rumour mill) would be a massive coup.

In less exciting news, the coming soon to Jameson Street, by the sound of it, is... a BHF Charity Shop. It's going near to McDonalds, in what used to be TSB bank. It is rather disappointing to see it occupy a unit in what is probably meant to be Hull's top shopping street.

Alongside the rather garish Paddy Power signage which has recently gone up, it is quite a shame that the recent public realm works in the city centre (as well as the CoC status) hasn't done much to attract new, quality retailers to Hull. Still early days though, I suppose.

legolamb, Lonesomeorgangrinder liked this post
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #2007
Wagg

Likes (Received): 17

good to hear of new retailers coming to the city. Living in the city centre for the last 15 years its obvious to me that the footfall has increased massively both night and day compared to pre-public realm works. so in this respect HCC have achieved one of its goals. it will be interesting to see if this increase in visitors is an increase in shoppers.
on another note I have heard that there will be a xmas street food market located around king ed sq. odd choice as surely the currently empty area in trinity market would be ideal
Wagg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2008
LP18

Hamley's will be great there. Something a bit different.
I too agree about the food court. I really hope they've secured some decent restaurants. I think above all else that's what we need here. There just aren't enough restaurants here, and if there's anything that brings people out and spending money, it's food.

On that topic, the council emailed me the other day about Pret-a-mange. I'd been talking to Martin Mancey about the Albion square plan and mentioned in passing about the interest from Pret-a-mange. Not long after I got an email from someone else asking who I'd spoken to and if I could provide the contact details.
They want to talk with them directly to secure a unit in the centre, which is great news. A Pret in a prime position in the centre would be a fantastic boost.

In the last few months there has certainly been movement in the right direction. With the above and also Jack Wills doing great in PQ; and then with the time being extended, big businesses do seem to be finally taking interest. We need more, though. If Lincoln and Ipswitch can boast a fully fledged Jack Wills, Hollister etc, there's no earthly reason Hull great as it is now wouldn't be a good investment for them.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:09 AM   #2009
Lonesomeorgangrinder

Likes (Received): 11

Jack Wills opening in Beverley. More bad news for Hull.
Lonesomeorgangrinder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:41 PM   #2010
whayul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesomeorgangrinder View Post
Jack Wills opening in Beverley. More bad news for Hull.
That really is one huge kick in the teeth for Hull. Especially since Flemingate, Beverley's retail is really beginning to challenge Hull.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2011
bighead

Likes (Received): 32

Bastards.
bighead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:29 PM   #2012
LP18

Hull City Centre - Retail

Such disappointing news. How this has happened I don't know.

I suppose this proves once and for all that the reason Hull doesn't get quality retail is down to snobbery and elitism.

How else do you explain why a high end fashion retailer founded for and aimed at primarily university students, ends up in Beverly over a highly multicultural city with an unprecedented growth in potential after COC. A city with a large and established red brick university.
I attended the university here. My girlfriend is at York university. There's such a bigger mix of people here than at York uni. I have friends from all over the country and all over the world here and it's truly buzzing all the time. Every second person you see walking around campus wears Jack Wills gear along with many other designer brands.

How the hell does the population of Beverly compare to that?
I'm honestly so annoyed at this one, it's total bullshit.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:31 PM   #2013
Riverboy

Likes (Received): 6

How times have changed. I couldn't afford a pair of trousers for £100+ when I was at Uni.
Riverboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #2014
LP18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboy View Post
How times have changed. I couldn't afford a pair of trousers for £100+ when I was at Uni.

You and me both! I had to get some drain un-blocker today and it nearly broke me

I suspect the designer clad students are subsidised
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #2015
JMHull

Likes (Received): 1

Really disappointed with the decision from Jack Wills. I really can not understand the logic? Why would a university apparel brand set up in a neighbouring town without a university with the intention of attracting Hull students to travel outside the city to buy?!? Why not just set up in the city of students you are trying to attract? You couldn't even argue they are trying to attract other university students to visit, Leeds, York and Lincoln already have a Jack Wills store. Beverley does not have a young population, lacks a mass of higher / further education students and the main visitor is 50+.

You only need to visit Flemingate on a weekend, the shops and particularly the ones targeting a younger shopper are empty i really don't know how H&M, River Island and Outfit to name a few are staying open. I know first hand Beverley Debenhams is a poor performer nationally. In contrast if you visited Hull on a weekend the city and more importantly the shops are bustling, Jack Wills have purely made this decision on reputation, i think they will be all the more poorer for it

whayul liked this post
JMHull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #2016
JMHull

Likes (Received): 1

In other news, Footasylum and Body Shop open this weekend in St Stephens and Niche menswear will open in the kiosk in the coming weeks.
JMHull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #2017
LP18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHull View Post
Really disappointed with the decision from Jack Wills. I really can not understand the logic? Why would a university apparel brand set up in a neighbouring town without a university with the intention of attracting Hull students to travel outside the city to buy?!? Why not just set up in the city of students you are trying to attract? You couldn't even argue they are trying to attract other university students to visit, Leeds, York and Lincoln already have a Jack Wills store. Beverley does not have a young population, lacks a mass of higher / further education students and the main visitor is 50+.

You only need to visit Flemingate on a weekend, the shops and particularly the ones targeting a younger shopper are empty i really don't know how H&M, River Island and Outfit to name a few are staying open. I know first hand Beverley Debenhams is a poor performer nationally. In contrast if you visited Hull on a weekend the city and more importantly the shops are bustling, Jack Wills have purely made this decision on reputation, i think they will be all the more poorer for it

There is no logic. As you say, the market in Beverly just isn't there compared to Hull.

The ridiculousness of the situation goes beyond that, though. They set up in Hull temporarily to test the market and had superb results, enough for them to them to personally comment on it and how happy they were.
Then they set up in Beverly...It doesn't make sense.

Bid and the council clearly haven't done enough either. How they let them slip through like that I don't know. I've mentioned before that other places, with far less potential for high end retail like Ipswitch, went specifically to them and convinced them that they need to be in Ipswitch. They have a team of people specifically for further developing and attracting new brands to the town.
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #2018
bighead

Likes (Received): 32

I suspect that they see that Beverley has the likes of Barbour, Jules, fat face, white stuff as a major positive.
bighead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #2019
LP18

God, do they have all of those? That's even worse than I thought.

In other news, you have ridiculous stories like this: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats...ll-york-566328

"Hull has a better selection of shops than York.
York city centre is slowly dying. If they aren't careful, they'll lose it."

And from good old Terry Garghty: "I've been saying for a long time that York has nowhere near what we have."

Are they walking around the same place? In what universe is Hull better for shopping currently than York? With deluded people like this running the city what chance have we got. They can't even see the problem let alone help to fix it.

Last edited by LP18; October 6th, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #2020
Matza22

Likes (Received): 15

Greenwood's have entered administration. The shop on jameson Street has a closing down sign in the window
Matza22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping