search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #3261
GrahamSoult

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
But then Urban Outfitters have chosen the city centre over the MC.... swings and roundabouts innit.
And Apple Store is in both!
GrahamSoult no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3262
elliott

Likes (Received): 185

I'm not sure but I don't think we (most of the Newcastle Forumers) fit the Forever 21 demographic, whereas I think the MC caters perfectly for them. Me personally would rather have Urban Outfitters in town and F21 in the MC, rather than the other way round.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3263
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1565

Student brews a new tea venture
in Fenwick Department Store

by Chris Knox, The Journal, May 6th 2011

A NEWCASTLE student has secured a spot in the city’s Fenwick Department Store, before even launching her business.

Jules Quinn, 23, hit upon the idea for The Tea Shed while out on a work placement as part of her fashion marketing degree at Northumbria University and has since designed nine varieties of whole leaf tea in nylon bags.

Jules, who lives with her parents in Stocksfield, Northumberland, sources her tea from Sri Lanka, which she packs into recyclable paper cups with the help of her family.

To help the brand stand out, Jules has also designed a range of ceramics, including tea-pots, cups and saucers, which are made by Surrey-based charity Arthouse Meath, which supports the creative talents of those struggling with learning disabilities and severe epilepsy.

Despite the fact that the launch date for the business is May 17, the brand has already caught the eye of Newcastle’s Fenwick department store, which has agreed to stock the tea, along with the Corbridge Larder in Northumberland.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-28642268/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #3264
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I'm not sure but I don't think we (most of the Newcastle Forumers) fit the Forever 21 demographic, whereas I think the MC caters perfectly for them. Me personally would rather have Urban Outfitters in town and F21 in the MC, rather than the other way round.
I'd disagree. Obviously I'd prefer both to be in town...but I often find UO to be a (pricier) USC-style store...obviously with better brands...but just a collection of other 'higher value' brands (Levis etc) and pretty much the same offer which Fenwick offer to a very loyal crowd. Perhaps MC could be a better spot for them.

F21 is absolutely catered to the student/trendy city crowd who I've a feeling are less likely to go to MC on an average afternoon's shopping.

However, that's just my take on it...and perhaps with this new draw, and all the on-going developments at Qube etc, MC might be the new place for this crowd. I've just a feeling that their focus might be concentrated on the city centre. I'm 24 though, perhaps I'm past it.
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #3265
inmh88
Urban Myth

Likes (Received): 9

NEXT store

New store in Newcastle’s Eldon Square is opening on the 12th! Come down for prizes, pampering and cakes galore!

http://twitter.com/#!/nextofficial
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3266
tomo90

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddytoonleics View Post
F21 is absolutely catered to the student/trendy city crowd who I've a feeling are less likely to go to MC on an average afternoon's shopping.
This! I have been the MC like 3 times in 2 in a half years of being here.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3267
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I haven't been to the metro centre in 5 years & only then to get a suit fitted for my Dad's wedding, previous to that I hadn't been since 1998. I am not a fan of shopping in malls at all and to be honest the Metro Centre is a poor example of one at that. Compared to the more modern centres like Meadowhall, The Trafford Centre or in city centres like the Arndale, Cabot Circus etc it is pretty second rate and old fashioned.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3268
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 645

I hate the MC, I absolutely can't stand it.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3269
elliott

Likes (Received): 185

@paddy, i may be wrong but i think Forever21 (like Monsoon which had a separate store Monsoon Men) is purely a womens fashion store, so i don't think unless i've guessed your gender wrong that it won't be for you.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #3270
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Likes (Received): 8

I love what I've seen on the Forever 21 website. I haven't been to MC for about 2 years.
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #3271
paddytoonleics

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
@paddy, i may be wrong but i think Forever21 (like Monsoon which had a separate store Monsoon Men) is purely a womens fashion store, so i don't think unless i've guessed your gender wrong that it won't be for you.
Well all the ones I've ever shopped in (States and Birmingham) have a menswear department, as does their website! So I hope they've not been selling me ladies clothes in the wrong section!!

I've been to the MC once in the past 10 years....to visit IMAX....and hope not to be there again until I'm at least 50. And pushing a pasty-dummied child in a pram. And shouting at it.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3272
growly grace

Likes (Received): 91

Greggs should fit a ribbon to sickly sausage rolls for toddlers in prams.

Last edited by growly grace; May 7th, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3273
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
Greggs should fit a ribbon to sickly sausage rolls for toddlers in prams.
Nah, the dumb parents would assume it's edible and let their kids choke on it (then blame Greggs)
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3274
Femaleshopper

Likes (Received): 6

Damn, I thought I was the only person that didn't like the MC, the only reason to go is Zara
Femaleshopper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #3275
fazaz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddytoonleics View Post
I'd disagree. Obviously I'd prefer both to be in town...but I often find UO to be a (pricier) USC-style store...obviously with better brands...but just a collection of other 'higher value' brands (Levis etc) and pretty much the same offer which Fenwick offer to a very loyal crowd. Perhaps MC could be a better spot for them.

However, that's just my take on it...and perhaps with this new draw, and all the on-going developments at Qube etc, MC might be the new place for this crowd. I've just a feeling that their focus might be concentrated on the city centre. I'm 24 though, perhaps I'm past it.
I think comparing UO to USC is a bit narrow minded in a sense, let me explain.......

I have only recently moved here from Glasgow, where UO was my shop of choice whenever I went shopping. Yes, their BRANDS may be the same as other shops that you mention - but the STYLE they buy in from these brands is on a different wavelength altogether from the common styles you get in USC. UO always have the more unique and (as their name suggests), urban collection from the brands as opposed to just the normal collections

Take Van Mildert - yes, they sell some of the same brands as you get in House of Fraser / Fenwicks / USC - but you will be hard pushed to find the same collection of the brands.

I am a huge fan of Diesel jeans, and USC stock a HUGE range of them - but i would bet my bottom dollar that out of 10/15 styles in USC, I would not like one, but out of maybe 5 styles in UO, I would like the majority

Also, you are forgetting that UO sell far more than just clothes. They sell other gimmicky stuff too for the house, as well as music CDs and Vinyls and books to name but a few

One other thing - a few of my friends buy the vintage & limited edition clothes from UO. These are not just brand new clothes made in a vintage style or a item with a mere "limited edition" tag on it - but they are actually pre-owned / worn out / 1 offs sourced by each individual brand of UO

Hope that sheds some light

Bear in mind their London store is in Covent Garden - which has always had a reputation for the "trendy" shops. I would classify UO as nothing other than this
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3276
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

I think people are harsh on the MetroCentre. Its worked hard to re-brand and refurbish itself and I think its something the region should be proud of.

Back to Newcastle....Next in Northumberland St has ended its 20 odd years association with the street as it closed its doors at 7pm last night for the final time.

The store is closed today and staff were in until 3am working on moving and setting up between the old and new stores.
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3277
flange

Likes (Received): 2786

Talking about Urban Outfitters, plans for the new shopfront and signage are now online.

Quote:
Jigsaw 149-151 Grainger Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AE

Display of individual lettering within glazed shopfront
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3278
paddytoonleics

Is Jigsaw moving? Or will it stick to concessions?
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3279
paddytoonleics

http://www.eldon-square.co.uk/News-a...n-Eldon-Square

Bit of info from ES about Thursday's NEXT opening...
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #3280
Femaleshopper

Likes (Received): 6

Its probably been gone for a while but I see the 202 store near the entrance to ES at Northumberland Street has closed.
Femaleshopper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs