search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #161
mike1115

Likes (Received): 126

The need for retail on every project seems to be entirely overblown to me. Vibrant retail corridors are much more important than trying to pigeonhole something into every development. Central Ave in St Pete and even certain blocks of Tampa St in DT Tampa work well because they are corridors and worth going to so they draw large amounts of people, even at off times. I don't suddenly go to the corner of Bayshore and Platt because the building there decided (or was forced) to put a few "retail" spots on the ground floor. So most of these spots seem to fail or be converted into pseudo uses like offices.

Brian72 liked this post
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #162
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1366

I tend to agree with the first part of your statement as the retail landscape has certainly changed over the past decade and the days of
traditional Brick-and-Mortar stores could be numbered as e-commerce continues to grow exponentially, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Brian72 liked this post
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #163
Mark G

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1115 View Post
The need for retail on every project seems to be entirely overblown to me. Vibrant retail corridors are much more important than trying to pigeonhole something into every development. Central Ave in St Pete and even certain blocks of Tampa St in DT Tampa work well because they are corridors and worth going to so they draw large amounts of people, even at off times. I don't suddenly go to the corner of Bayshore and Platt because the building there decided (or was forced) to put a few "retail" spots on the ground floor. So most of these spots seem to fail or be converted into pseudo uses like offices.
I agree and I suggested previously that downtown would be much better served by a high end galleria-type mall with restaurants and shops that would be both a destination to draw people from the suburbs and to serve those living downtown.

gstolze, Brian72 liked this post
Mark G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #164
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

I agree and disagree. I feel like the downtown area has definitely grown up from what it used to be like around 2005. But it's not like downtown is a bustling area with thousands of people each second walking down almost every street. Areas like this part of downtown have no foot traffic. Maybe eventually when the areas north of Cass fill up, things will be different. That's where I am on the fence. Because, maybe now isn't right, but who says 10 years from now won't be different? So 10 years from now we Amazon well established in downtown and thousands of new residents. Governor..... Smith approved Hyper Speed Rail from Tampa to Orlando that connects to Miami and Atlanta. Rays have played their 4th season at Amazon Field just across from Encore. And the foot traffic is insane throughout downtown. Yet when people walk
Down Laurel Street, they have no place to go to eat or shop, because Novel has no retail units.

I agree with retail needing to be place along busy corridors, but we also need to identify future corridors and areas of growth. I wouldn't consider this specific area an area for potential, so I'm fine with lack of. But they should still make sure they make their development pedestrian friendly and beautify their surrounding area.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #165
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I agree and disagree. I feel like the downtown area has definitely grown up from what it used to be like around 2005. But it's not like downtown is a bustling area with thousands of people each second walking down almost every street. Areas like this part of downtown have no foot traffic. Maybe eventually when the areas north of Cass fill up, things will be different. That's where I am on the fence. Because, maybe now isn't right, but who says 10 years from now won't be different? So 10 years from now we Amazon well established in downtown and thousands of new residents. Governor..... Smith approved Hyper Speed Rail from Tampa to Orlando that connects to Miami and Atlanta. Rays have played their 4th season at Amazon Field just across from Encore. And the foot traffic is insane throughout downtown. Yet when people walk
Down Laurel Street, they have no place to go to eat or shop, because Novel has no retail units.

I agree with retail needing to be place along busy corridors, but we also need to identify future corridors and areas of growth. I wouldn't consider this specific area an area for potential, so I'm fine with lack of. But they should still make sure they make their development pedestrian friendly and beautify their surrounding area.
Yeah but, let's say 8,000 SF of retail, sitting vacant for ten years or with a a nail salon helps no one. Not the community or the developer.
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #166
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmentev View Post
Yeah but, let's say 8,000 SF of retail, sitting vacant for ten years or with a a nail salon helps no one. Not the community or the developer.
If there was a way to develop a project where the retail space could be used in different fashion for those 10 years, then that could be a solution.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #167
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
If there was a way to develop a project where the retail space could be used in different fashion for those 10 years, then that could be a solution.
Some developers are looking into co-working space as a solution or even live-work space. I've seen some projects have live-work where people don't do the "live" part. I'm sorta okay with a city requiring an active street front but they should require only retail.

TampaMike liked this post
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:28 PM   #168
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4028

From TBBJ

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...estaurant.html

Brian72 liked this post
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote