search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #201
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1972

Even the new I-35W bridge in Minneapolis has some creativity. And GREEN lighting too!

Last edited by HARTride 2012; October 6th, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #202
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

Just look at the Urban Photo Showcases thread. There are amazing things being done out there, maybe we just need to spread the word on Skyscrapercity.com.

Lighting goes a long way on most projects. Imagine if all the "Light Up Tampa" displays had be permanent. Give me $150,000 to buy and install some perforated aluminum or composite panels and LEDs with colored jells and I'll turn a very mundane looking 275 overpass at Dale Mabry (Tampa's signature intersection) into something very special.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #203
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 14

I love that footbridge in Chatanooga, but man is it trippy to walk across it.

[QUOTE=DShenise;26204308]I wouldn't say the bridge is "really cool", just that it has potential. You have to remember what else is out there in the world.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #204
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres_of_2036 View Post
Off Topic somewhat, does anything run through the tracks on that bridge near Cass St.? I just think it's pointless with it being there.
Trains run through there every day (well night usually, but you get the point).
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #205
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Or lighting in downtown's we really have nothing special.
There is lighting in DT??

Seriously, our DT has a really lacking identity at night, some nice lighting strategically placed would really liven the place up, and make it more appealing to pedestrians after dark. Some lighting in the new Curtis Hixon Park, as well as the Preforming arts center, new Art Museum, and maybe something cool down Franklin St. would do wonders.

Steve
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #206
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post

Seriously, our DT has a really lacking identity at night, some nice lighting strategically placed would really liven the place up, and make it more appealing to pedestrians after dark. Some lighting in the new Curtis Hixon Park, as well as the Preforming arts center, new Art Museum, and maybe something cool down Franklin St. would do wonders.

Steve
Thats what I meant, none of the downtown's in the bay area have decent night lighting.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #207
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

I think we are all thinking of something like this:

TBPAC has tried some form of architectural lighting but it didn't leave much of an impression on me, because I don't remember it. Skypoint also has a piece that is more public art and is focused on the street level, Ashley side. It was kind of neat, but didn't make me drop my jaw and say "wow". With all the bridges and all the open vertical and horizontal spaces along the riverwalk, they could do something pretty amazing with less than $250K with LEDs. I just think they went a little too predictable with the design. Its very nice and will be a great addition, but to use a baseball analogy, its a triple, not a walkoff homer in the ninth.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #208
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

You forget that the I-275 bridge was built in the 1950's-1960's era when the emphasis was on function, not aesthetics, we could possibly see a renovation coming up when/if we have a rail project going down the center of I-275 in downtown, that would force a split in the interstate. They should definitely put some lights on the bridges like Kennedy, Cass, Platt, Borein, and the Crosstown.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #209
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post

Steve
Check out the Element Cam at night, there is a zigzag light thing goin on down Franklin St. I wonder if they'll do it down the whole length or do a Ybor type deal. That would be neat...
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #210
japster

Likes (Received): 0

Riverwalk Walking Tours

Free Riverwalk Walking Tours if anyone is interested:

http://www.thetampariverwalk.com/walkingtours.htm
japster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #211
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 14

Sounds interesting, may have to check that out.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #212
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 110

Future Riverwalk???

image hosted on flickr
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #213
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1972

I love that pic. What city is that?

Unfortunately, I don't see our riverwalk even coming close to that. There is simply no way the riverwalk will be significantly finished by the time Iorio leaves office. And with the current recession, I doubt the next mayor will make the riverwalk a priority. He/she will have the fun task of financial recovery instead.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #214
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

If they had some businesses to put along the damn thing, they would had been able to get some more funding for this. Instead, they think that the thing will survive off people riding their bikes and walking their dogs up and down the thing. Seriously, it doesn't take a good businessman to realize some of the things that the city doesn't realize until 5 years after something is completed.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #215
VICARY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNatv View Post
Future Riverwalk???

image hosted on flickr
Looks like Melbourne, Australia. Tampa's downtown population is going to have to grow an awful lot to support a riverwalk like that...
VICARY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #216
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Thats the thing right there. Tampa will HAVE TO grow to SUPPORT a riverwalk like that. We all know Tampa will grow, we all know that after all this economy downturn, people will begin to start moving in Channelside and DT Tampa. More tourists will come and more developers will look to Tampa to grow. So WHY do we build for what is happening today? Why do we continue to work as there is no tomorrow? Scout Motto..... Be Prepared. Instead, Tampa's way of handling things is just going off what they see in a day and thinking on what they should change to fix THAT day. This is why we lack measurable roadways to handle our traffic. This is why we don't have enough parking in Channelside. This is why we don't have rail in Tampa or Hillsborough, or in any area of the Tampa Bay area. Because they either wait for a crisis to happen or they just work like things that are happening today will stay the same tomorrow and the next day, months later, years after that, and for decades and centuries. Things will not stay at the same level as today. More people will come, more traffic will fill our roadways and highways, more tourists will visit the area, and things will change. Lets not wait for them things to happen to fix them afterwards anymore, lets start planning for the future and building to the future.

My rant is over
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #217
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 110

Good points... This river is about the same width Hillsborough at this point. I like how they have developed both sides of the river. Also, It's great how the buildings have direct access to the riverwalk/promenade.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM   #218
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 267

it's not *that* impossible. it's accomplishable within a lifetime.

as things operate now? no chance in hell.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM   #219
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNatv View Post
Good points... This river is about the same width Hillsborough at this point. I like how they have developed both sides of the river. Also, It's great how the buildings have direct access to the riverwalk/promenade.
I was actually in Melbourne not too long ago, and that picture is a little misleading. The area to the right is a train station, with a narrow walking park similar to Bayshore. It's lit up, but there's really nothing of note there. On the left side of the picture is the Southbank promenade and Southgate - a mall or shopping complex of sorts. I guess if you can imagine all of Harbour Island along Garrison being retail, that's what it's like.

The whole thing is fairly nice, but it would be difficult to emulate here because of the existing infastructure.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM   #220
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
it's not *that* impossible. it's accomplishable within a lifetime.

as things operate now? no chance in hell.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but you did catch what I was saying at the end of your post. With today's local, and I could even say federal in such cases, they never plan out for the horizon. And people complain about this, but if you don't plan out and focus more on that, then you'll end up in chaos. I can take Hurricane Katrina for an example on this because we had warning and precautions that the levees might not stand up and we ended up with 1k+ dead. So plannin is important, because it will certainly cause obstacles in the future if we don't.

Tags
downtown tampa