search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties
» Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM   #141
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

^problem is, almost every single parcel this riverwalk will front has already been developed. And the ones that aren't already developed haven't been because they're the least desirable parcels along the river. There are extremely limited opportunities to come back and 'retrofit' the riverwalk corridor to become something more than a barren sidewalk, clumsiliy snaking its way along a river known for its stench, not its vistas.

The riverwalk plan was poorly conceived in the first place, and its execution has been an absolute joke. The city couldn't have been more inept about the riverwalk's development barring a total abandonment of the plan. For years and years now, we've heard leader after leader crow about the riverwalk being a major quality of life 'priority' for the city's residents, but we have yet to see the city step up and commit the resources required to actually finish the damn thing before the generation paying for it is too old to enjoy it..

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm literally embarrassed at the lack of decent parks in this area, and the Riverwalk is the poster child for that failure in my opinion. We live in a place which has a great climate for outdoor activities almost year-round, yet look at the pathetic state of our local parks.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #142
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1366

I grew up in San Antonio for a few years as a military brat and have always looked forward to going down to the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk in S.A. for the most part lies below street level and provides excellent interaction between vendors and patrons alike, from both sides of the river. Unfortunately, the Tampa Riverwalk doesn't have a similiar configuration like the one in S.A. because their's would be an ideal model to follow. But as someone stated earlier, hopefully everything should evolve over time.
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #143
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShenise View Post
JBrisco "It just seems stupid have some boardwalk on the river that you just walk on."

You mean like the Bayshore? Seems pretty successful to me. The Riverwalk benefits from multiple locations of potential retail/vending locations being very close. If you are strolling along Bayshore and suddenly feel a hankerin for a Gatorade/Hot Dog/Rocketpop or anything else, you have a hike in front of you. With the Riverwalk, there could be vending opportunities across the street in most of downtown. Now we just need to get those spaces filled, but there is more potential along Riverwalk than on Bayshore with its 3 water fountain locations.

Downtown, because it is more urban than the Bayshore has the potential for simpler solutions than a full scale concession stand/mobile stand set-up. How about some vending machines to start with until you start to see a real need for more.
Did you see some of the renders? Its just a boardwalk right off the seawall its in the river... So it'll be pretty difficult to get to a place if you're like in between two ramps.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #144
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 110

image hosted on flickr

...as opposed to a boardwalk floating on the river.
FlaNatv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #145
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 110

image hosted on flickr

Here's an idea for Tampa Waterworks Park. I'm thinking a picturesque park which would be part botanical garden, part central parkish, with the man-made canal being big enough for rowboats. Also the bridges i'm imagining are arched and ornate made with brick or stone with iron railing and perhaps lamppost. Perhaps some classic monuments or art could sparsly dot the park. And an sculpture fountain at the south point. I would have Blake High school across the river plant big trees and bushes along the river to soften the view.
FlaNatv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #146
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

JBrisco Quote:
Did you see some of the renders? Its just a boardwalk right off the seawall its in the river... So it'll be pretty difficult to get to a place if you're like in between two ramps.

My mistake, I thought that the riverwalk would be at the same elevation as the existing seawall, not below it. Gee it makes perfect sense now, everytime a tropical storm system gets with 100 miles and a bunch of water gets pushed up the bay and as a consequence up the river, a large portion of one of the City's signature attractions goes submarine like. Great planning, lets design something to cause the most potential maintenance. Please don't tell me they are building it outta Balsa wood. The Tampa Riverwalk brought to you by the same people who took 20+ years to fix the Dale Mabry/Neptune stormwater flood problems.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #147
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

I know!!! The portion that was just completed (the Platt St. underbridge) is exactly how the portion I was talking about is going to be. They should do as you thought it would be on the same elevation. But its not.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #148
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 945

Welcome to our city's government.

The only thing problem is that the City allowed the Sheraton(or whatever it is was before) to be right against the seawall, blocking any chance of having a normal riverwalk. But besides around the hotel and under the bridges, there's no excuse why the riverwalk couldn't be located on land. Widen the walkway that is already there. Set up benches, trash cans, trees that can provide shade, and art designs all along the riverwalk. Tell the developers who actually build something on the former Trump site to include retail and shops along the Riverwalk. And line up a row of shops along the riverwalk in Curtis Hixon Park. Not a Chicago Riverwalk, but better than plank wood and a few benches.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #149
dudeintampa

Likes (Received): 0

The biggest challenge the city has with the riverwalk, other than funding, is the fact that it must travel across, under, or over five seperate bridges. ADA requirements can create some of the headaches (I fully support the design being friendly for all people). It just isn't practical to construct and maintain elevators at each bridge - or overpasses which would need far too long of a ramp. The Kennedy Bridge portion was going to offer an elevator for access purposes, paid for by Venu.

The city's only option that I'm aware of is to go under the bridges - and only one of which is capable to have a pedestrian path at riverwalk grade (the S. Harbour Island Blvd. bridge by the convention center). It's paved now and I used to ride my bike under there all the time. Going under the bridge allows the designers to not have such long ramps for ADA compatibility, plus it probably saves quite a bit of money.

I think the interactivity with the riverwalk will be fine once a continuous portion is ready for use. Right now, there are far too many unfinished segments to make it worthwhile for joggers/walkers/etc.

I also think the new Curtis Hixon Park will act as a catalyst for people wanting to use the riverwalk. The city should plan on offering permits for vendors wanting to do business on the riverwalk. I can just see it now... Ice Cream/Soda Vendors on Bikes like they have at Disney Boardwalk. The two new museums will surely help get people active, along with the free concerts from the Florida Orchestra (they used to do some of them at Curtis Hixon and they were phenominal - hope they bring it back).

Last edited by dudeintampa; July 28th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.
dudeintampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #150
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

Tampa Has Super Plans For Downtown Park

By ELLEN GEDALIUS

The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 28, 2008

Updated:

TAMPA - The city is working to finish a redesigned park in the Channel District by January, hoping it could become a hot spot for Super Bowl events.

The Cotanchobee/Fort Brooke Park project features several elements, including more green space, a Riverwalk segment and a Heroes Plaza. The park runs along Garrison Channel, near the Tampa Marriott Waterside hotel.

The Super Bowl Host Committee has put holds on all downtown parks in the days leading up to the Feb. 1 game, said Sharon Graham, a special events coordinator for the city. No plans are set yet for the Cotanchobee space, but it might be used for a Super Bowl-related activity.

Plans call for adding more than 2 acres of green space and creating a Heroes Plaza, with plenty of picnic tables, shade and an interactive fountain, said Brad Souder, a city parks department project manager. The playground will be built around a Florida wildlife theme.

Heroes Plaza will feature three 6-foot glass panels, one honoring police and sheriff's deputies; one honoring fire rescue personnel; and one honoring war veterans. All will honor those killed in the line of duty.

Smaller glass panels will focus on the humanitarian efforts of heroes and the diversity of heroes, including displays on women during World War II and the Buffalo Soldiers. Hillsborough County is working with the city on the project.

The idea for Heroes Plaza came, in part, from Tribune columnist Steve Otto, who had written about the lack of recognition for local veterans. The column prompted Mayor Pam Iorio to talk to her staff about some sort of memorial.

"This will be the focal point for our community's recognition of our veterans, complemented by the county's recognition of our police and fire," Iorio said.

A separate public art piece will be called "Ceremonial Space." The sculpture, by artist Bob Haozous, will commemorate the history and significance of the Fort Brooke/Cotanchobee site, which long has featured a memorial to the Seminole tribe.

The park is the original site of an early Seminole Indian settlement.

The piece is 31 feet in diameter and 15 feet, 6 inches tall, said Robin Nigh, the city's public art administrator. The work will include information on Native American migrations and information on the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma.

The city also is partnering with the Southwest Florida Water Management District to complete a shoreline restoration project.

The park construction contract was awarded to W.G. Mills for almost $3 million, including $1 million from Hillsborough County.

The Tampa Bay History Center project is on schedule to be finished by mid-November, president C.J. Roberts said. The 60,000 square-foot project will cost about $52 million. Money comes from public and private sources.

Reporter Ellen Gedalius can be reached at (813) 259-7679 or [email protected].
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul...lans-for-park/
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #151
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

This is what I'm talkin about!!! Real PARKS.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #152
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4026

On the front page of today's Metro section there is a pretty nice graphic showing how the park will be layed out.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #153
FloridaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
On the front page of today's Metro section there is a pretty nice graphic showing how the park will be layed out.
Admititley a bad scan, but still readable:
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #154
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

Color me a fool, but I thought that site would have made for a fine location for some vertical development, with some significant retail space on the first 1 or 2 floors. Maybe an extended stay type hotel, or even another cultural attraction. The park is nice, but the hole in the urban fabric in that area is gaping, and extending this park ensures that will be the case for a very long time. It also would have helped draw traffic to the museum, whose location is desolate right now, and also would have encouraged more traffic (and thus walking and trolley rides) from the Convention Center to the Aquarium/Shops, and was one of the few places (under city control, no less) where retail could be built right up against the Riverwalk, at grade, and really livened it up...

Ahh, but alas, this is Tampa, and we'll be damned if we're going to even think before we reflexively enact whatever myopic solution some lackey cooked up.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #155
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Well, atleast its a nice park and not a parking lot.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #156
FloridaFuture

The Lightning own the lot just to the north and are thinking about putting a hotel there, no? Also, the Byrd lot may get something...eventually. I think this project will only help those get built.

It is a shame the Forum had to have its ass up against the park and not the plaza where people hang out in between the forum and garage.
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #157
smiley

Likes (Received): 564

I am fine with the park - but I wish the history center was somewhere else and there was something more useful there - with people who would use the park. I think, like St. PEte, you can be a block off the water with your development if there is decent public space in the middle. I also wish they would stop half-assed honoring and build a real, classic monument somewhere. No one relates to modern monuments that look like 5th grade reports - which is what we always seem to get.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #158
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Monuments/Public Art are difficult because 90% of the public does think enough about the actual work. It becomes an immediate judgement for them, that very second what they feel, they don't do any thinking about it. Personally I tend to like most, I love "Family of Man", the Horses, the Sundail thing at USF (next to Cooper Hall), and the monolith thing at USF-St. Pete (and the hump in the ground and retaining walls are part of the piece). I hate the exploding chicken on Kennedy/Ashley and the twisted slinky in front of BofA tower is pretty derivitive too. But its all a taste thing. They just opened a new arch up here in Atlanta and even though its traditional in design I like it, and think it provides a contrast next to the contemporary buildings next to it.

is next to this

and I think they work together, but its all subjective. I think the Channelside area in general though suits contemporary designs for monuments/public art.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #159
randommichael

Likes (Received): 36

^ It looks like there is a Novare building on the other side of the arch.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #160
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

There is a Novare building on the otherside of every building in this town. They are everywhere, fortunately there are enough other towers around that its not so striking. But, they do stick with a design style.

We do have this though.
http://www.sovereignbuckhead.com/

Its probably the best looking condo tower I've seen (in the US). Its totally different from every angle. I find it so attractive I think I'd rather live near it so I could look at it as opposed to living in it. Fortunately there is a Novare building across the street.

Tags
downtown tampa