daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #1361
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSOP View Post
I think that it's to bulky and being built far too close to Freshwater Place and the Prima Pearl towers. The poor bastards who paid all that money to live in those complexes will have a view of a monster skyscraper and will be able to stick their hands out side their windows to borrow a cup of sugar from the people in the Crown Tower.

This tower needs to lose some weight and/or be re-shaped.
How dramatic of you...

The design is fine and FWP residents likely better get used to a new neighbour.

MelbourneStar☆ liked this post
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #1362
MelbourneStar☆

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSOP View Post
I think that it's to bulky and being built far too close to Freshwater Place and the Prima Pearl towers. The poor bastards who paid all that money to live in those complexes will have a view of a monster skyscraper and will be able to stick their hands out side their windows to borrow a cup of sugar from the people in the Crown Tower.

This tower needs to lose some weight and/or be re-shaped.
How sad; too bad. Next time they'll reconsider buying an apartment in a city that just happens to be under-going a skyscraper boom, where skyscrapers pop-up anywhere - yes, including next door?
MelbourneStar☆ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #1363
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 2107

The facade of this new Crown proposal flares away from both FWP and Prima/Pearl. Sure full outward views will be obscured but most nearby apartments will still have some oblique outlook. The previous ovoid or peanut design blocked the neighbouring apartments outlooks worse...IMO and as previous, if you buy an apartment without a permanent outlook over parks, rivers, lakes, the sea or a protected heritage building next door expect future development may go one better.
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #1364
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 292

its been said before, in reality its FWP themselves that shot themselves in teh foot RE apartments losing views.

The lot next to it was always going to be up for high rise development.

FWP were the ones who decided to build the tower section right against the site boundary. Wether they thougth they could use that argument to hinder any future development who knows, but thats not how planning works. You cant max out your site then cry foul at the site next door which has setback that are tenfold what FWL has with their tower.

FWP sits on a massive podium. plenty of different orientations thay cold have placed the tower on without losing so mch view when QBT is developed.

Thats their own problem.

Privilege vs Right
Most Cities Build Skyscrapers... Melbourne Builds Cities: #1 Skyscraper City in Oz
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #1365
db2

Likes (Received): 491

To be honest I expected far more whining from the FWP residents than has actually happened since the Crown announcement back in October.

I was fully expecting The Age to run a hardcore campaign against the tower: the poor Shrine will be overshadowed, the footbridge is evil, FWP millionaires will lose their view, etc etc. Most especially since the Herald Sun came out big time for the tower.

But, not a negative peep since the announcement. This Crown tower was effectively a one day story. PERFECT. That is what we want. It should be the case then that it will barely raise a ripple when it gets officially approved whenever (hopefully in the next four to six months).

The signs are very good that this will be approved. I still can't believe how big this is!!

melb3000 liked this post
db2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #1366
redbaron_012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower_dan View Post
its been said before, in reality its FWP themselves that shot themselves in teh foot RE apartments losing views.

The lot next to it was always going to be up for high rise development.

FWP were the ones who decided to build the tower section right against the site boundary. Wether they thougth they could use that argument to hinder any future development who knows, but thats not how planning works. You cant max out your site then cry foul at the site next door which has setback that are tenfold what FWL has with their tower.

FWP sits on a massive podium. plenty of different orientations thay cold have placed the tower on without losing so mch view when QBT is developed.

Thats their own problem.

Privilege vs Right
I kind of think when the planning was done for FWP they thought their development was so extreme that it would be the final pinnacle development along the Southbank riverside. They thought their podium would abutt anything nearby. As tower_dan says to build a major tower right up to the boundary expected to intimidate anyone looking at next door for development.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #1367
Rcurti23

Likes (Received): 20

SOUTHBANK > Crown Queensbridge Tower > 313m / 90L / residential & hotel / pro...

Agree entirely with VicSOP, it does seem way too bulky in its current form! As they say, less is more. As for the residents of FWP, I presume there are no air rights, so...

Last edited by Rcurti23; December 28th, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Rcurti23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #1368
redbaron_012

Maybe they could slim it down a bit, add another 20 levels and make a new law so it wont breach PanOps.
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #1369
lozza
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!

Likes (Received): 392

If the residents in FWP are angry about new towers in close proximity , they wouldnt want to move into Avant or My 80 then !
lozza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #1370
db2

Quote:
I wish this Crown tower was slimmer
Quote:
I wish it was somewhere else
Quote:
I wish it was taller
I wish I was a billionaire, but I ain't.

You can wish all you want, it ain't going to change. It was it is folks. This is a bulky tower. Period.

It will be awesome, and it can't come quick enough.

melb3000 liked this post
db2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #1371
Papps

Likes (Received): 341

Exactly!
No matter how high your window is to the world, someone, somewhere, maybe even right next door, might have designs on having one even higher.
Chances are, when you live in a desireable location someone else will want to live there too because of that desireability. If they can't get their hands on your very plot, then right next door is the next best alternative. Furthermore, don't expect that the Planning Authorities will to come to FWP's rescue to help maintain property values to the detriment of even 'bigger' fishes (Crown). What FWP owners are expecting is to have a degree of control over everybody else's air rights, and that just isn't on baby!
To use those famous words from Flying High...
They bought their tickets,
They knew what they were getting into,
I say, let 'em crash!

The Capitol Bakeries site versus Fridcorp is another example.

redbaron_012 liked this post
Papps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM   #1372
deshnoodlé

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papps View Post
Exactly!
No matter how high your window is to the world, someone, somewhere, maybe even right next door, might have designs on having one even higher.
Chances are, when you live in a desireable location someone else will want to live there too because of that desireability. If they can't get their hands on your very plot, then right next door is the next best alternative. Furthermore, don't expect that the Planning Authorities will to come to FWP's rescue to help maintain property values to the detriment of even 'bigger' fishes (Crown). What FWP owners are expecting is to have a degree of control over everybody else's air rights, and that just isn't on baby!
or, as i like to say to someone who's having 'their' view taken away from them... 'if it's yours, show me the receipt'.

Papps, Dimethyltryptamine liked this post
deshnoodlé no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #1373
db2

Images for Hassell's entry in the Crown design competition.

Old January 10th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #1374
redbaron_012

When you think about the work and cost of detailed plans for such projects why can't they just design a new podium to adjust for another site and build it there for another developer. I recall a couple of developers bought Grollo Towers plans. Neither went ahead although Doha has a big hole in the ground and the Burj in Dubai changed and went higher.
Old January 11th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #1375
Rcurti23

Likes (Received): 20

I actually prefer the look of this one over the chosen design (looks less bulky IMO). Oh well. Would be good to see something built.
Rcurti23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #1376
Melbourneguy

Likes (Received): 822

Edit
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:37 AM   #1377
felx22

Likes (Received): 52

I do prefer the Hassel design over the chosen one, but oh well, will just be great to see Australia's new supertall.
felx22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #1378
Puros

Likes (Received): 11

The winning design is much more iconic than the Hassel design. When will there be any more news on this tower. Still no core out yet ...
Puros no está en línea   Reply With Quote