daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #1
EngineerGreece

Likes (Received): 106

What is the difference between Athens in early 2000 and Today?

I think Athens has changed A LOT

Whatever we are saying every day for Athens (which are almost always bad things ) Athens has changed a lot.

It's not the same even like 4-5 years ago. Now we have Attiki odo, Metro system, roads, a new airport, total reconstruction of the green line ''ilektrikos'', malls, new hospitals, the new Acropolis museum, Athens 2004 (Kalatrava complex), bridges and many more I can't remember right now.

My point is:

Are we expecting to much??? Are we happy with all that? Are we to negativists?

What you think?
EngineerGreece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Almopos
Marg bar NIMBY's

Likes (Received): 438

I think it comes all down to our mentality. We are a nation of negativists. The glass is always half empty. Many of our countrymen like complaining. For many people it is probably their greatest hobby after tax evasion ofcourse.

This does not mean that we have to accept any shortcomings Athens still has. The many improvements that have taken place during the last decade should be continued to make Athens an even better city for its citizens.
"Η Δημοκρατία μας αυτοκαταστρέφεται διότι κατεχράσθη το δικαίωμα της ελευθερίας και της ισότητας, διότι έμαθε τους πολίτες να θεωρούν την αυθάδεια ως δικαίωμα, την παρανομία ως ελευθερία, την αναίδεια του λόγου ως ισότητα και την αναρχία ως ευδαιμονία."

Ισοκράτης (436 π.Χ-338 π.Χ. )
Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
EngineerGreece

hm

I think Athens is changing every day to the best. There are maybe people who like to complain and stop projects but they are just a few, just the minority.

People of Athens are ready for change and you can see it everywhere. The thing is, do politicians want the same?

And don't forget, Athens is not the only city in Greece. Thessaloniki is doing really good, Patra, Iraklio, Larisa even better. And other smaller cities are doing good, like my hometown Chania, like Trikala etc etc...

Things are still moving despite the economic crisis, see Rio-Antirio Bridge, Egnatia Odos, Ethniki odos Athina-Thessaloniki, Airports, Hospitals, New lines and trains, and many more.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Almopos
Marg bar NIMBY's

Likes (Received): 438

I agree with you. Athens is changing day by day.

As you correctly state this is happening in many large and smaller towns all over Greece. The Thisseas program for example is funding many projects all over Greece which improves day to day life. The same can be said about the large number of projects that improve the countries infrastructure.

The number of people that are blocking projects might be small, but they are very vocal. This has an impact on the attitude of the majority that seems to be adopting their negative outlook on life.
Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Billy8181

Likes (Received): 1

you're all right in every point. But remember sudden change doesnt make up for long inactivity.....and because of this long inactivity sudden change must be twice as good to make up for losses.

Let's not forget, negativists are not famous for innovation but can get excited very fast, sometimes too fast.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM   #6
RelaxInPireaus

Likes (Received): 0

Athens has always been an impressive city for me.

and I can tell for sure that it is becoming better and better every time I visit it. New highways, motorways, tram, new buildings, ... I believe best Metro in the world...

impressive Olympic complexes and ... generally it is improving.

I think this economic crisis will not hit Greece as severely as many people are telling and predicting. There will be a way out and as Yanis Papathanassiou said Greece can come out of the crisis much stronger than now.
RelaxInPireaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Billy8181

true, but one must be careful when saying best metro. Best in facilities maybe, not in grid or number of lines.

Also, its the best (new ) metro. for me possibly in europe, because asia has some quite impressive subways (eg., S.Korea).
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 284

Athens in the past 10 years, in the first decade of the new millenium has changed a lot. Especially for the last 30 years of the past century things were going only downhill for the city, with only a few exceptions. Now we witnessed for the first time in years, real improvement in our city. The new metro system, the olympic projects, Attiki odos, all have contributed.

I would like to wish that the next decade will be even better than the one that will soon leave us, but im afraid that this will be difficult, considering the economic crisis. However there is always room for positive thinking, and i hope, no better yet, im sure, that with the way things are going we will eventually see skyscrapers again rising in our sky. It is inevitable, and its only a matter of time.

I wish to all of us to be well to witness this happening. I think we deserve it, and Athens deserves it.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #9
mykonos77
BANNED

I hope for improvements other than in architecture.

It does not matter how good your architecture/infrastructure is. If some clown is allowed to park their old VW van on the pavement outside it and not get a ticket, there is no point to anything.

I hope for law and order to make a stand in Greece and Athens over the next 10 years.

Firstly Parking to be sorted out. All abandoned cars sold and scraped.
Anyone illegally parked on the pavement (which is destroyed by illegal parking)-their car is taken away and they have to pay to have it released.

Next, Green spaces are protected. Anyone caught throwing rubbish in these areas, on the spot fine.

Same with Grafitti. Instant fines and a criminal record.

Left wing student riots to be stopped by Greece adopting normal European laws. Any rioters destroying public/private protery - arrest, prison and a criminal record.

Laws in place to stop the demolishing of old protected buildings. If someone does destroy their old building illegally, fine and prison - not just a small fine. That will stop that old trick dead.

Finally Athens' main prison, needs emergency redevolpment and I think it would be a good idea to build some new prisons.
mykonos77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM   #10
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 439

lots of old neo-classical buildings have been renovated the last years
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM   #11
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 2

Much has been done, our city is beautiful, but there is a long way to go. One step forward is the new green conscience (for example the upcoming reforestation of Imittos on Feb 15th is an example) I would like to see more neoclassical buildings being refurbished and even have lots of 60s-70s polykatoikies torn down and be replaced by Neoclassical, eclectic and other old fashioned buildings in the city center and by beautiful houses in the suburbs not to mention the development of Elaionas and Maroussi into something closer to a business and financial center a la Defense.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM   #12
EngineerGreece

Ti exete na peite gia ta voria proastia??? Kifisia, Nea Erithrea kai Ekali??

Ekei sigoura iparxoun spitia me arxitetektoniko endiaferon...
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM   #13
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerGreece View Post
Ti exete na peite gia ta voria proastia??? Kifisia, Nea Erithrea kai Ekali??

Ekei sigoura iparxoun spitia me arxitetektoniko endiaferon...
Put simply:

If Athens consisted only of its downtown (the historic center), the northern and the coastal suburbs, it would have been among the top 10 in Europe, skyscrapers or not.

It is the overall aesthetics that matter, not just some isolated architecture specimens.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #14
AAL

Likes (Received): 16

Eιδικά την Κηφισιά τη λατρεύω. Αν περπατήσεις στους μέσα δρόμους βλέπεις κάτι απίθανα σπίτια...η περιοχή ήταν πάντα το αριστοκρατικό προάστιο των Αθηνών, και το δείχνει...
AAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Billy8181

sigoura, leipoun omos sovara pezodromia....ekei meno kai to viono. perpatas kanondas ski anamesa se dendra kai spasmena pezodromomia.

eytihos kati kani o dimos , kai kati shediazei idika gia to kefalari (thelei ftiaximo ston pezodromo).

Oson afora ta ktira sigoura einai poli pio kalaisthita...apo magazia mehri spitia.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #16
GrigorisSokratis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2263 View Post
Put simply:

If Athens consisted only of its downtown (the historic center), the northern and the coastal suburbs, it would have been among the top 10 in Europe, skyscrapers or not.

It is the overall aesthetics that matter, not just some isolated architecture specimens.
Amen!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #17
GrigorisSokratis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy8181 View Post
sigoura, leipoun omos sovara pezodromia....ekei meno kai to viono. perpatas kanondas ski anamesa se dendra kai spasmena pezodromomia.

eytihos kati kani o dimos , kai kati shediazei idika gia to kefalari (thelei ftiaximo ston pezodromo).

Oson afora ta ktira sigoura einai poli pio kalaisthita...apo magazia mehri spitia.
Το ίδιο συμβαίνει και σε άλλες πόλεις της Ευρώπης. Πέρασα 4 μήνες στην Ισπανία και τα είδα, εκεί έχουν το ίδιο πρόβλημα με τα στενά πεζοδρόμια, τα αυτοκίνητα που παρκάρουν στα πεζοδρόμια, κλπ. Πχ. εκεί που έμενα εγώ παρόλο που ηταν μια παρα πολυ ωραία περιοχή, με βίλες, το πεζοδρόμιο μπροστά στο σπίτι μου είχε μόνο 30 εκατοστά και είχε και δέντρα. Τι να πούμε τώρα, εκεί τα κρύβουν καλά τα πράγματα, εμείς απλά έχουμε μια φανταστική εικόνα της Ισπανίας (και άλλων χωρών) η οποία βασίζεται κυρίως στα κέντρα πόλεων όπως η Μαδριτη και η Βαρκελόνη, και νομίζουμε πως όπου και αν πας στη Μαδρίτη θα βρεις δρόμους με πεζοδρόμια όπως εκείνα της λεωφόρου Castellana ή Alcala.

Και τέλος για να είμαι ειλικρινής, άλλα περίμενα και άλλα βρήκα στην Ισπανία, ίσως διότι ύστερα από ένα μήνα αρχίζεις και καταλαβαίνεις τα πράγματα, όχι σαν τουρίστας αλλά, έστω και λίγο, σαν ντόπιος (και αυτό συμβαίνει παντού, όπου και αν πας, εκτός και αν είσαι η Paris Hilton βέβαια ).
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #18
EngineerGreece

giafto alla lene oi touristes gia tin Athina otan erxontai edo kai alla emeis...
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM   #19
lysandros

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerGreece View Post

giafto alla lene oi touristes gia tin Athina otan erxontai edo kai alla emeis...
mhn koitas ti lene oi touristes,diakopes kanoun hlio exei siga mh sou poune kakes kouventes.koita posoi einai gia na vgaleis ta symperasmata sou. h athina exei terastio onoma alla den fenete na proselkyei kai poly tourismo

Last edited by lysandros; February 3rd, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
lysandros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #20
lysandros

Likes (Received): 3

Paidia afto pou eseis pou menete sthn athina den boreite na katalavete giati exete sinithisei einai oti h athina exei poly entono kai monadiko xaraktira san polh.Oles oi evropaikes polis miazoun metaksy tous ligo h polh,h athina omos einai mnadikh,den thimizei kamia allh,oxi mono sthn evroph alla kai stn kosmo. To mono pou xreiazete h athina einai merika kainourgia toposima,kati allo ektos apo thn akropolh na emploutisei thn eikona ths san polh.Kata ta alla mhn nomizete pos kai oi alles polis den exoun asxhmes plevres.
lysandros no está en línea   Reply With Quote