search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.98 average.
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #981
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1482

CW failed to get Google, who decided to head to King's Cross. They might have better luck with media firms than computer/technology companies.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #982
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
CW failed to get Google, who decided to head to King's Cross. They might have better luck with media firms than computer/technology companies.
But the heart of the Media, apart from the newspapers has been the Westend with quite of TV and film capacity actually far out in the Suburbs on the Western side of London. Also the media industry likes to live large and be in all the fashionable places. It's dominated by small business that grow and shrink with their founders fortunes. Canary Wharf is just for large occupiers there is no scrum of different size buildings mixed with good restaurants, bars and shops.

Shopping and a large chunk of the leisure is restricted to malls and not street life.

I think Stratford and the Olympic zone has a better chance of getting new media occupiers, what with the mix of buildings in the area and being closer to Shoreditch. Hackney Wick has great potential as a source of small to medium size office spaces in contrast to bigger users on the Olympic park. It would of course help if Channel 5 move there.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #983
kerouac1848

Well, it was in response to gegloma01's post about TMT consolidation, certainly I wouldn't expect media firms to move to CW.

Media in industry terms is quite broad, going beyond the fashionable sectors so I wouldn't exclude the possibility of certain large corporations who merge with other firms and who want to centralise requiring big offices in the future going East. If you look at the larger, more corporate ad agencies they're spread between near Euston to Victoria as well as clustered around Mayfair. Smaller Ad and PR firms won't move East, ditto television and post-production houses. Publishers like Pearsons? I dunno. If you get quite large consolidation, especially if it's between media and technology companies, you'll have behemoths with multiple divisions/brands/subsidiaries. Here the executive, financial and other depts. involved with running the company might come together in one large office, leaving the various brands in smaller units across the West End, or wherever.

I'm no expert on TMT's so I don't know how the industry will play out in future, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited by kerouac1848; October 27th, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #984
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 1871

Here below a couple of extracts from the masterplan exhibition
Links:

http://200-222kr.com/wp-content/uplo...-Wharf-1-8.pdf
http://200-222kr.com/wp-content/uplo...Wharf-9-16.pdf

It is all low or mid-rise. One tower only is higher than 150m.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #985
randolph

Likes (Received): 1396

How very unexciting!
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #986
kerouac1848

I dunno, this could be what CW needs. It probably offers the best chance of adding a bit of variety and diversity to the site and moving away from the dull corporate character engulfing the northern part of the IoD, something that would be unlikely if WW becomes dominated by residential towers. At least an effort is being made to create a high st. linking all the way to the jubilee line station. If it succeeds in attracting small businesses and 'trendy' firms it will be more likely to create a greater residential mix.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #987
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Lol...the plans for this change on a weekly basis, until they start building something, it means nothing.

This time next year, we could be back to 4 or 5 150m+ towers, such is the fluidity of their plans..
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #988
Rational Plan

Quote:
I dunno, this could be what CW needs. It probably offers the best chance of adding a bit of variety and diversity to the site and moving away from the dull corporate character engulfing the northern part of the IoD, something that would be unlikely if WW becomes dominated by residential towers. At least an effort is being made to create a high st. linking all the way to the jubilee line station. If it succeeds in attracting small businesses and 'trendy' firms it will be more likely to create a greater residential mix.
Agree , though these 'small buildings' would be sizeable office blocks in most towns and cities. And are certainly larger than a lot of small start up spaces in Soho. But instead of megablocks in a loose grid we might get something approaching a fine urban grain and real street level activity. This might be too much for old Canary Wharf but they need to think about some night cliubs and small musinc venues, so the Dogs can have a real nightime heart. If they want tech firms they need to move away from bankers expense account restaurants and bars.
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #989
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12249

Quote:
Well, it was in response to gegloma01's post about TMT consolidation, certainly I wouldn't expect media firms to move to CW.
can you imagine it? the security guards constantly harassing tenants for daring to instagram things. i can't imagine many tech firms moving there either. it's such an oppressive environment.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #990
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

I don't know, I don't think it's that bad. Lots of the popular Soho joints now have a sibling at CW, e.g. Wahacca. In fact, lots of my friends who work at CW have partners or at least friends who work in media/fashion/etc., and they tend to share the same tastes in restaurants and bars.

If CW can create an attractive and chic high street with a few art galleries here, just like they have in the mega-corporate district of Tokyo, then I can see it being very popular indeed, and not just with corporate types. After all, a lot of those fashion types already live in the East End, so the commute won't pose a problem.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #991
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 91

I really like the plans, especially the idea of the high-street (Something that Canary Wharf really needs).
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #992
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6294

I imagine the residential blocks will be just as dull and non-place as Terry's other London housing plans, or the atypical London vernacular that now seems to be the standard for new schemes.

This would have been the perfect place for rolling out Rogers template of Neo Bankside/Riverlight schemes, being a former industrial dock and now a futuristic modern quarter. The potential for architectural 'play' here, creating a stand out sustainable community that maybe breaks a few boundaries in terms of 21st century living are endless. We've lost that potential over the last thirteen years with the Greenwich Peninsula after all.

I have no qualms about changing the make up of Canary Wharf and this development being about mixed use communities, but there's just nothing particularly progressive about the whole thing. Why we aren't talking a leaf out of the Amsterdam dock regenerations or even the Netherlands in general and follow through with these visions I do not know.

Last edited by DarJoLe; December 28th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #993
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

I hadn't realized Rogers had been dropped from the master-planning. Is there no chance of their keeping on Rogers to design some of the buildings?
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #994
Rational Plan

Here's the ground floor use plan. Hmm if only Canary Wharf had this sort of use, it would all feel that more lively.

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #995
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

I have to admit I wasnt that fond of this proposal at first but over the days its started to warm to me, my main problem was not enough tall buildings and I still think that but im warming to it day by day. If there was a few height increases I would be completly happy but maybe a development like this is what Canary Wharf does need rather than another enormous cluster of skyscrapers but Im not sure I think I would still like to see a few more skyscraprers in this development.
Pants1254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #996
kerouac1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
I have no qualms about changing the make up of Canary Wharf and this development being about mixed use communities, but there's just nothing particularly progressive about the whole thing. Why we aren't talking a leaf out of the Amsterdam dock regenerations or even the Netherlands in general and follow through with these visions I do not know.
Funnily enough Amsterdam and Denmark are posted as photo examples for the canal sides. The plans seem to suggest London for the 'high street' and Northern Europe (incl. France) for the canal/water sides, parks and squares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants1254 View Post
I have to admit I wasnt that fond of this proposal at first but over the days its started to warm to me, my main problem was not enough tall buildings and I still think that but im warming to it day by day. If there was a few height increases I would be completly happy but maybe a development like this is what Canary Wharf does need rather than another enormous cluster of skyscrapers but Im not sure I think I would still like to see a few more skyscraprers in this development.
I think another 1 or 2 150m+ towers West could work, but the problem with skyscrapers in general is they're expensive to build and costly to maintain. This means rents at levels unlikely to attract the smaller, independent retail outlet as opposed to the usual bland chains.

Last edited by kerouac1848; December 29th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #997
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6294

The Amsterdam canals fair enough in terms of public space but I was thinking more the architecture of the Amsterdam Eastern docks, not necessarily the Java Island canalside residentials that many post here but the larger structures similar to say Rotterdam's docks that are almost OMA-esque in their use of shifted blocks and cantilevering.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #998
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Funnily enough Amsterdam and Denmark are posted as photo examples for the canal sides. The plans seem to suggest London for the 'high street' and Northern Europe (incl. France) for the canal/water sides, parks and squares.

I think another 1 or 2 150m+ plus in the Eastern could work, but the problem with skyscrapers in general is they're expensive to build and costly to maintain. This means rents at levels unlikely to attract the smaller, independent retail outlet as opposed to the usual bland chains.
I agree just a few more in the easter area of the proposal and keep the rest of the design, I suppose the market is changing and Canary Wharf have to change with it, if media and communication companies are growing and signing more prelets than financial institutions than areas like Canary Wharf must cater to them more as well as other large financial firms to continue to grow. Also I think they are making the right choice by intergrating residential use into the scheme certainly and area of the market that should be incorporated onto a scheme like this.
Pants1254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #999
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 799

Wood Wharf is becoming increasingly underwhelming and disappointing. The original vision for CW was of a development of grand scale, with very powerful axial east-west neoclassical planning, akin to a modern day hybrid of Greenwich a la Rockerfeller Ctr. This new Wood Wharf proposal aka CW east, displays little grand vision, rather it seems to be "infill" ad-hoc low to medium rise redevelopment akin to projects north of Kings Cross. This is fine in many locations in London, but with such a close juxtaposition with CW, it seems to smack of a failure of planning and vision. One does not expect East CW to mirror West CW, but it would be good to see some form of planned relationship featuring large scale elements. Why not explore a series of projects/developments with large commercial podiums at the base, with residential towers rising above each block, akin in form to the soaring NY or Chicago towers of the 20s and 30s, laid out based on turn of the century "City-Beautiful" planning.

The one nice element of the most recent replanning is the linear waterfront park along the south side and sense that natural light and views is finally being considered.

Last edited by Black Cat; December 29th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1000
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 105

I quite like it, but think it could do with some more height. The current canary wharf area will begin to look 'finished' and they might start spreading to other parts of east London, which would be great.

Tags
canary wharf, east london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: