search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Taiwan Forums 台灣論壇 > Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施

Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施 Development of infrastructure in Taiwan

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1
tchen

Likes (Received): 29

Taipei | Daan Park Station 大安森林公園站

Don't think this has been posted on here yet, and since it includes some redevelopment of the north end of Daan Forest Park as well, I started a separate thread for it.

Daan Park Station Project and Construction Photos:

Expecting Opening: December 2012 (?)

Scheduled to open by December 2012 (?) along with the rest of the Xinyi Line, Daan Park Station also includes both construction of the namesake station and redevelopment along the north edge of Daan Forest Park.

Renders:

Cross-section:

Sunken Garden Area:

Station Lobby:

Project Model:

Station Exit

Platform View

Construction Photos:

Sunken Garden Area:

Surrounding landscaping

Metro Tracks:

Platform Level:

Lobby:

Sources:
http://www2.dorts.gov.tw/news/newsle...0/rp230_06.htm
http://www2.dorts.gov.tw/news/newsle.../rp263_06.html
http://cr580a.cec.com.tw/photo.php
https://plus.google.com/photos/10622...513?banner=pwa
tchen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 230

Some really cool stuff here
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
tr

Likes (Received): 1

Thus far, the design of Taipei MRT Stations seems quite unremarkable. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this oversized sunked garden being any different.
Let's hope the new airport line inspires city officials to move beyond mere functionality.
tr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
ed21x

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr View Post
Thus far, the design of Taipei MRT Stations seems quite unremarkable. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this oversized sunked garden being any different.
Let's hope the new airport line inspires city officials to move beyond mere functionality.
whaat?! this station design is AWESOME. A beautiful outdoor sunken garden that blends into nearbye park area and a curved glass fascade to emphasize the natural sunlight, all with a floor to ceiling waterfall. I hope more stations are like this,

I think the majority of the MRT stations are quite generic, but then again, so are the majority of MRT stations everywhere else.
ed21x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
jjl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
whaat?! this station design is AWESOME. A beautiful outdoor sunken garden that blends into nearbye park area and a curved glass fascade to emphasize the natural sunlight. I hope more stations are like this,

I think the majority of the MRT stations are quite generic, but then again, so are the majority of MRT stations everywhere else.
I think he's refering to the ones currently built, but the Taipei MRT is actually making money now so maybe they can afford nicer stations. I'll take functional stations first though.This does look nice, I passed by it a few times when I was back in November. Hoping everything goes well for xinyi line and it opens in December 2012 as scheduled.
jjl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
lolstebbo

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
idk, I like Jiantan station's design a lot...

That said, looking at the concepts for the W-S-Z line stations, they're clearly putting in a bit more effort in the design.
lolstebbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
tchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
idk, I like Jiantan station's design a lot...

That said, looking at the concepts for the W-S-Z line stations, they're clearly putting in a bit more effort in the design.
That's definitely a good sign, but it should be noted that it's more difficult for eye-catching modern designs for underground stations (like the majority in Taipei). Besides the Wenshan Line, I think Taipei MRT has done a good job with elevated stations. Some of the ones on the Airport Line actually look pretty cool.

I like this station and area development because it's functional, aesthetically pleasing, and pretty unique!
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
lolstebbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen View Post
Besides the Wenshan Line, I think Taipei MRT has done a good job with elevated stations. Some of the ones on the Airport Line actually look pretty cool.
Well, to be fair, it was designed in the 80s, and function took significant priority at that point in the MRT's development. Give them a power cleaning and they'll at least look acceptable.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
tchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
Well, to be fair, it was designed in the 80s, and function took significant priority at that point in the MRT's development. Give them a power cleaning and they'll at least look acceptable.
Lol, I can't remember the last time I looked at Wenshan Line stations and thought, "Those have been cleaned recently!"
I will give them credit for actively keeping the interiors of stations up-to-date and clean though. You can't tell that any of the Blue Line stations were flooded during Typhoon Nari.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #10
tr

Wow, I'm surprised everyone is so defensive. I guess I was hoping Taipei would follow the Kaohsiung model and push the envelope with modern art and architecture from around the world. Even after all these years, Taipei's lack of interest in Paris' offer of one of Hector Guimard's gates still puzzles me. Are the officials in charge really that provincial?
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #11
lolstebbo

Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised everyone is so defensive. I guess I was hoping Taipei would follow the Kaohsiung model and push the envelope with modern art and architecture from around the world. Even after all these years, Taipei's lack of interest in Paris' offer of one of Hector Guimard's gates still puzzles me. Are the officials in charge really that provincial?
I don't know if they're necessarily "provincial", but, I swear, Taiwanese people are especially stubborn. Stubborn about themselves being right, and stubborn about being stingy. I can't imagine foreign architects bidding lower than local architects for these kinds of projects (or at least low enough for those stubborn old farts in charge to be willing to consider those bids).

Also, stations such as Daan Park Station were designed *years* ago. It's not like they just created the design last week. Now, I honestly don't know a whole lot about Kaohsiung's MRT, but what I've seen of it isn't necessarily leaps and bounds better over the newer parts Taipei's MRT (if it weren't better than the older parts, then that's a lot of shame on the people in charge in Kaohsiung).
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #12
ed21x

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
i prefer taiwan refine it's own design motifs and architectural styles rather than imitate foreigners.
ed21x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #13
tr

Kaohsiung has some well-designed MRT spaces - much better than anything we've seen up north to date.
http://blog.yam.com/hanewell/article/19682245
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #14
kalifese

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:

Quote:
whaat?! this station design is AWESOME. A beautiful outdoor sunken garden that blends into nearbye park area and a curved glass fascade to emphasize the natural sunlight, all with a floor to ceiling waterfall. I hope more stations are like this,

i totally agree with tr.

first of all, this is supposed to be a park. but look at how much space is utilized and taken away from the park to build this station. look at all that cement/walkway/paths that's cut into the nice lawn/greenery of the park. i find this very common in many of taiwan's parks where they build numerous wide cement/tiled paths that crisscross a nice green lawn instead of around it or build huge public squares that's tiled over or they build weird looking buildings and structures all over it. they are an eyesore and annoying to look at. a park should have as much greenery, trees, and lawns as possible so kids and people can play sports/activities on, add freshly needed oxgyen, add greenery and natural beauty to a dull cityscape, etc, and they should have as little buildings and paths and squares as possible. taiwanese just dont understand the concept of "parks". just look at new york's central park or parks throughout europe and compare and you'll see what i mean.

ny's central park. nothing beats the clean appearance of a nice carpet of grass and trees. only adds to the beauty of a dense urban city:

typical taiwan park filled with criss-crossing cement/tiled paths, structures, buildings, amphitheater, you-name-it, etc. all stuffed in a little area with no significant lawn for kids/people to play on. very chaotic appearance, huge eyesore and really ugly:

second, although i like the fountain feature of that daan station, i find the architecture of the structure unremarkable, as tr had said. even ugly. those 2 roundish towers cut in half are just weird. i think instead of building such a huge structure they should have made the entrance to the subways as minimal and discreet as possible so it doesnt detract from and interrupt the beauty of the park. maybe some minimalist all glass enclosure so people can see thru to look at the park is a good option. like these subway entrances in spain/europe:

i love this entrance design by foster + partners for bilbao metro. super sleek and simple:

this one would've also been a nice design option. the minimalist branch-like design of the steel beams holding up the glass wouldve matched very well with daan park and would fit well with the park and not detract from it:

i agree with some here that kaohsiung metro has better station designs than taipei - both interior and exterior. kaohsiung incorporated some really cool artwork in the station interiors and has some innovative architecture for subway entrances mainly cuz they hired some foreign architects to design them like richard rogers.

but nothing beats the metro designs in europe. check out some pics of really cool subway station designs in other countries around the world too. they make taipei's metro look so plain and primitive:

http://weburbanist.com/2011/05/27/mo...ns/?ref=search

taiwanese still have much to learn from the west which is why THEY SHOULD HIRE MORE FOREIGN DESIGNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by kalifese; January 13th, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #15
tr

Quote:
i prefer taiwan refine it's own design motifs and architectural styles rather than imitate foreigners.
It's not imitating foreigners, but sharing and collaborating. Do you really think kung bao gee ding would be a better dish without the pepper?
Old January 15th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #16
cphu

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
It's not imitating foreigners, but sharing and collaborating. Do you really think kung bao gee ding would be a better dish without the pepper?
100% Agree!
cphu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #17
tchen

Some construction progress photos:

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Awesome.e

Likes (Received): 32

Daan Station looks pretty cool hope there will be people cleaning those glasses after theyre finished though
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Awesome.e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM   #19
tchen

Construction Updates: (August 2012)

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
Awesome.e

Likes (Received): 32