search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.98 average.
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #961
danm

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFiBkIlLeR View Post
There's no demand, or prospect of any demand for 200m towers with huge, open floor-plates, residential is where it's at for CW & WW for the next decade.
I'm pretty sure the original Wood Wharf plan was for high-rise residential.
danm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #962
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakboy View Post
If there is no demand for office space in a financial hub like London, when places like NY, toronto, singapore, melbourne, tokyo, HK and others and scattered with high-risers, than thats a shame.
There is little demand for big bank buildings, which is a different thing. Other occupiers are not that bothered about Skyscrapers and prefer to be in parts of London that are more fashionable.

Besides I would not take the Standards article as the last word om what 'low rise' is.

To fit 3000 homes in and a lot of office space in will take some pretty big buildings. This is Canary Wharfs attempt to broaden it client base and get new tech companies in.

I may even believe they may have a chance, as long as we don't get slightly thinner and shorter glass blocks.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #963
delores

Likes (Received): 462

Well it sounds to me that Canary Wharf are listening somewhat because of the current market conditions. I actually think this is a good thing for the wharf it can only improve the area in my view. I think Farrell will introduce traditional but well proven urban design principles.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM   #964
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 286

CW needs more residential, but high rise is the only way. Surely Woodwharf can do both so there's capacity for more office space
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM   #965
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1491

I'll be surprised if CW manage to attract the type of IT firms established to the north and east of the City, they're a specific type of 'start-up' mostly dealing in not much more than online event and catalogue sales to be frank. They're already located in a good area with trains and buses offering more direct services than the IoD does even with crossrail (which they can pick up at nearby Farringdon or Liverpool street). Google turned down CW and I expect to see the cluster expand westwards towards King's Cross as well as east.

That being said the IT, computing and communications industry is huge and the so-called Silicon Roundabout lot deal in just a small part. There may be a chance to attract some firms in, say, network security and systems development. Cisco Systems have their offices split in the City and Feltham and many of the more corporate tech businesses spread around London might fancy new offices near the Wharf. There are also giant non-financial firms, such as Pearsons, who have their major divisions split in several locations across central London and might fancy consolidating into a large block.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #966
Maxakoff

Likes (Received): 0

Can't believe how dumb and myopic CWG is if they are to proceed with low-rises. CW is not about beauty, history or elegance it is about one thing only - height. They have an opportunity to build a nice skyline with similar size buildings as HSBC. If they use this superior plot for residential there will be pretty much no plots available for big office buildings on the isle. And residential there should at least be the size of PP - otherwise what's all the hype about? Shame really. I think main residential devolopments should continue south of CW with Millharbour Village and perhaps this huge plot where the printer factory is (was). I think I've read somewhere there are plans to build around 3000 homes there. That's the way to go.
Maxakoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #967
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakoff
Can't believe how dumb and myopic CWG is if they are to proceed with low-rises. CW is not about beauty, history or elegance it is about one thing only - height. They have an opportunity to build a nice skyline with similar size buildings as HSBC. If they use this superior plot for residential there will be pretty much no plots available for big office buildings on the isle. And residential there should at least be the size of PP - otherwise what's all the hype about? Shame really. I think main residential devolopments should continue south of CW with Millharbour Village and perhaps this huge plot where the printer factory is (was). I think I've read somewhere there are plans to build around 3000 homes there. That's the way to go.
There's no demand for large office blocks at the moment. The demand is residential. There is still north quay, and riverside south which are skyscrapers which will be built in the future.
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #968
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6321

For the moment residential is where it is at. When the market for massive floor plated towers comes back, they will just demolish the lower rise buildings around Cabot Square and the ones next to the HSBC and Citigroup towers and built higher. After all they are closer to the Crossrail station than Wood Wharf is.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #969
kerouac1848

1 Cabot Square was originally meant to be a skyscraper if I remember, the economic situation during the late 80s/early 90s put paid to it. By the end of this decade it will be 30 years old, so ripe for replacement. Most of the stuff surrounding the DLR CW station is mid-rise, as is the west and NW of the estate. New and replacement plots capable of hosting skyscrapers easily number a dozen excluding WW or any possible move to gobble up land to the south.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #970
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Why would they replace 1 Cabot Square when there are so many perfectly good unused plots of land still out there? It would cost a lot more to demolish a 21 story building and its foundations than it would a few low rises just a little further away.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #971
kerouac1848

Read what I said again within the context of the discussion. I clearly mentioned there were empty plots, but there are also buildings that could be replaced, given their size and age, if at some future point there is a demand for huge office space which realistically could only be met by a tower (and which the CWG want to keep with the estate). I certainly wasn't suggesting 1 Cabot Square would be favoured over an empty plot or over low-rise development currently.
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #972
Maxakoff

Darjole, Kerouac - agree, the point I was concerned with is that if they use WW for residential then as and when economy picks up there will only be 5-6 plots where to build office buildings. I guess the possibility of building over the low rises within the estate could take care of this. But still, this wont have such a profound effect over the skyline as building office towers in WW. And what will happen to all these nice planned buildings in Millharbour Village like Baltimore T and so on. Will there be demand for these?
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #973
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakoff View Post
when economy picks up there will only be 5-6 plots where to build office buildings.
So..?

It's taken nearly 20yrs to build just 7 towers over 150m in CW.
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #974
Maxakoff

So it will never become a world class financial district like I think they aspire to. City has where to expand, this one is very limited so they need to use the space wisely and look forward.
Old October 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #975
DeepThought

Likes (Received): 3

Canary Wharf is already a "world-class" financial district. HSBC, Citi, Barclays, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, and Credit Suisse all have major offices there, and that's just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. It's also not that constrained - there's still the massive Riverside South site just sitting and waiting, and if they really want more space all they have to do is fill in another part of the dock. That's how the land for the Jubilee and Crossrail stations has been created. It is constrained height-wise by City Airport, at least to the North of the estate.

More residential seems a no-brainer to me, what with everyone in London continually moaning about house prices (myself included).
DeepThought no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #976
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 664

At the end of the day, if Canary Wharf have used up all their sites for offices there is nothing stopping them buying up big chunks of South Quay for more office towers. Just add some more pedestrian bridges across the dock people walk far further in the City from various tubs and train stations.

It won't be quite as 'planned' as the rest of the estate but all it requires is money. It is not as if there are any gems to protect.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #977
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 1871

Internationally active systemic banks did already consolidate in Canary Wharf. They are now being targeted by the regulators. As a consequence, they are downsizing, and few new bank office requirements are expected in that respect (e.g. JP Morgan).
Consolidation in the insurance industry is underway. They selected the core of the City to relocate. They diversify their assets by building their own office headquarters. Good deal.
The next step is the consolidation of the TMT industry. Canary Wharf tries to lure these new large office requirements. Eric Van Der Klei has been hired to achieve that goal.
We will see if he can convince Amazon to build its 750,000 sq ft headquarter in Wood Wharf.
For the rest, forget about this idea of "world financial district". The world is changing. Rapidly.
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #978
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

I'm not sure there has been a time over the last 200 years that the world hasn't been changing rapidly! gegloma01 you seem to know more than most, what is your opinion on Techcity? And would Amazon really consider such a huge office in London?
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #979
Maxakoff

Just seen the news - now, that could be absolutely massive if they can lure Amazon in. Hope they can pull it out. And BTW I meant the world-class business district, not financial could not care less if it is banks, insurance companies, techs or whatever as long as they continue to build office skyscrapers in CW. And watching photos of some of the buildings/districs in the illumination cup make me feel that CW and City are light years behind - and I am not talking just NYC, Hong Kong and Dubai - look at Shanghai, Kuala-Lumpur, Chicago, Moscow, Jakarta, Middle East cities etc etc.
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #980
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12261

Quote:
Consolidation in the insurance industry is underway. They selected the core of the City to relocate. They diversify their assets by building their own office headquarters. Good deal.
if you look at what's driving the construction of skyscrapers in the city it's insurance companies. just look at everything around the lloyds building.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canary wharf, east london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: