search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #2901
Ongarboy

Likes (Received): 559

Hilton Garden inn additional storeys underway

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #2902
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
The last thing we should be doing is lumping more traffic onto the side of the M50.
Right, so we should freeze all developement along the M50 on either side for the the full lenght?

That will solve the accommodation crisis and facilitate the development of Dublin

Or are you with the Irish Times editorial today which reckons we can solve the accommodation shortage by banning airbnb...without the need to do anything so ghastly as actually building anything?
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #2903
P2O5

Likes (Received): 109

Last edited by P2O5; October 15th, 2017 at 01:27 AM.
P2O5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #2904
DylanG

Likes (Received): 171

How many storeys will the hotel be after?
DylanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #2905
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 510

Still less than it should have been to begin with.

FreudianSlippers, roycon liked this post
Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #2906
tomredwest

Likes (Received): 61

they're expanding the back of that hotel as well
tomredwest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #2907
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuitlio View Post
Application was lodged during the week - 3697/17
additional info requested

Here is the main and expected part:
Quote:
In this regard the applicant is requested to re-examine the height of the proposed building, with a view to a reduction to no more than five storeys with one or two additional setback levels.
They also asked for more brick.

Original renders:

Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:59 PM   #2908
wakka12

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukino View Post
additional info requested

Here is the main and expected part:

They also asked for more brick.

Original renders:

I agree with them at this location. Its current height looks ridiculous here
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:04 PM   #2909
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 778

Hideous. I don't really mind the height reduction, but that new facade is a disgrace. Can't find the old renders to compare though.

Vyking, opatta17 liked this post
mjohnoston está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:54 PM   #2910
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
Hideous. I don't really mind the height reduction, but that new facade is a disgrace. Can't find the old renders to compare though.
Yeh it is awful But theyre the old renders I think? And the council asked them to change it

daveydonnelly liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:55 PM   #2911
wakka12

Also that jervis centre depot area is disgraceful . Leaves a massive gaping hole in the urban fabric of an important street. Could they not put some kind of carriage building there that allows cars and trucks in but doesnt leave the streetfront completely empty. Not to mention the fact that the shopping centre also looks hideous at that part
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:40 PM   #2912
mjohnoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Yeh it is awful But theyre the old renders I think? And the council asked them to change it
Aye, you're right, the photomontages I saw before just didn't include one particular angle that makes the extent of the amount of brick facade clear. I'm amazed that DCC are asking for more brick here, but maybe a different balance will fix it, I dunno.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #2913
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
Aye, you're right, the photomontages I saw before just didn't include one particular angle that makes the extent of the amount of brick facade clear. I'm amazed that DCC are asking for more brick here, but maybe a different balance will fix it, I dunno.
I would say by that they meant they want a building that appears as though its constructed from brick. Rather than just having some token brick cladding here and there like above
I actually like the white stone> I think it needs to be made mostly from that or else more brick as suggested and no stone
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #2914
mjohnoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
I would say by that they meant they want a building that appears as though its constructed from brick. Rather than just having some token brick cladding here and there like above
I actually like the white stone> I think it needs to be made mostly from that or else more brick as suggested and no stone
Yeah, like I say, the current balance of materials is pretty awful.
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #2915
DylanG

Likes (Received): 171

I think that building looks really nice. I actually agree with the reduction in height, the three set back floors just look out of place. Hopefully the new proposal will either be the current height without the setback or reduced to five floors with a setback, and those trees on top on that terrace
DylanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #2916
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanG View Post
I think that building looks really nice. I actually agree with the reduction in height, the three set back floors just look out of place. Hopefully the new proposal will either be the current height without the setback or reduced to five floors with a setback, and those trees on top on that terrace
Leafy green roof gardens are a common render ploy to sell the building better. They often dont materialise and if they do itll be more like a gravelled terrace than a leafy 5th floor park, because of issues with soil weight, drainage, maintenance and wind. And you have to remmebr that itll probably make very little difference to how the building is enjoyed at street level, but looks nice from these aerial views yeh..

DylanG liked this post
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #2917
Mosssy

Likes (Received): 28

Permission has been granted for new office development along Grand Canal

The application site is located to the north of no. 19a and 19-25 Dartmouth Road, Dublin 6, d06 cv44. development will consist of refurbishment and alterations to the existing 8 storey Carroll's building (a protected structure rps ref. 3280), to include refurbishment of original features and removal of later building fabric, including a single storey rear extension. The proposed alterations include a change of use from office to cafe / restaurant at basement and ground floor level and a gallery / multi-purpose space at first floor level. External alterations to the protected structure include replacement glazing, the reinstatement of the original undercroft, alterations to the existing plant area at roof level and landscaping to the curtilage of the existing protected structure. Demolition of 3 no. existing warehouse / light industrial building to the south of the protected structure and other ancillary structures on the site.

The provision of a new part 3, part 4, part 5 and part 6 storey, over two levels of basement, new office building to the south of and setback from the Carroll's building. The proposed office building is connected to the Carroll's building by a 6 storey glazed atrium and an 8 storey link which provides for new shared circulation / lobby and a services core. a roof terrace is provided at fourth and fifth floor level. The proposed office extension has a total gfa of 10,658 sq.m including basement floorspace. Vehicular access to the office building and basement car park will be from grand parade and a secondary controlled vehicular access will be provided from Dartmouth Road.

The development includes 30 car parking spaces, 126 bicycle spaces, changing facilities and plant area, including electrical rooms, substation and switchrooms at basement level - 1. A plant room is also provided at basement level -2. nine surface level car parking spaces are provided. The total floorspace, including existing retained and proposed new floorspace, including basement area, to be provided on site is 15,647 sq.m gfa. the development includes all associated site development works, hard and soft landscaping and all other ancillary works.
Mosssy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #2918
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosssy View Post

The application site is located to the north of no. 19a and 19-25 Dartmouth Road, Dublin 6, d06 cv44. development will consist of refurbishment and alterations to the existing 8 storey Carroll's building (a protected structure rps ref. 3280), to include refurbishment of original features and removal of later building fabric, including a single storey rear extension. The proposed alterations include a change of use from office to cafe / restaurant at basement and ground floor level and a gallery / multi-purpose space at first floor level. External alterations to the protected structure include replacement glazing, the reinstatement of the original undercroft, alterations to the existing plant area at roof level and landscaping to the curtilage of the existing protected structure. Demolition of 3 no. existing warehouse / light industrial building to the south of the protected structure and other ancillary structures on the site.

The provision of a new part 3, part 4, part 5 and part 6 storey, over two levels of basement, new office building to the south of and setback from the Carroll's building. The proposed office building is connected to the Carroll's building by a 6 storey glazed atrium and an 8 storey link which provides for new shared circulation / lobby and a services core. a roof terrace is provided at fourth and fifth floor level. The proposed office extension has a total gfa of 10,658 sq.m including basement floorspace. Vehicular access to the office building and basement car park will be from grand parade and a secondary controlled vehicular access will be provided from Dartmouth Road.

The development includes 30 car parking spaces, 126 bicycle spaces, changing facilities and plant area, including electrical rooms, substation and switchrooms at basement level - 1. A plant room is also provided at basement level -2. nine surface level car parking spaces are provided. The total floorspace, including existing retained and proposed new floorspace, including basement area, to be provided on site is 15,647 sq.m gfa. the development includes all associated site development works, hard and soft landscaping and all other ancillary works.
I love the building but why is it protected? Out of curiosity
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #2919
Vyking

Likes (Received): 390

Liffey Street = horrendous. More NAMA-approved frumpy brick panels designed by Paddy the bricklayer.
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #2920
Vyking

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosssy View Post

And wasn't this land bank being held for Metro South? There goes that plan.
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: