search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #521
damianmcr

Likes (Received): 16

See they mention signs in that article. I hope they are done well. I don't like the signs on CQ1. Think they ruin the look.
damianmcr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:57 PM   #522
plank007

Likes (Received): 853

The hotel exterior and glass is actually looking really great.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #523
ulsterjamesie

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianmcr View Post
See they mention signs in that article. I hope they are done well. I don't like the signs on CQ1. Think they ruin the look.
Are you talking about the Cayan and Baker McKenzie signs?

I think they look great, especially coming over the M3 flyover from the East **eyes on road at all times**, along with the bladerunner style Obel lighting (when they work). Gives it a nice dense, city, european feel if you ask me.

JohnnyNI, Whiteabbey liked this post

Last edited by ulsterjamesie; October 3rd, 2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
ulsterjamesie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #524
WiseJoeyD

Likes (Received): 141

A closer angle on the work and facade
WiseJoeyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #525
hypnotoad24

Likes (Received): 665

IMGP0023
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

IMGP0019

I assume this bit is part of the restaurant?

IMGP0020

Landscaping around CQ2

IMGP0018

IMGP0015

plank007 liked this post
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:27 PM   #526
plank007

Likes (Received): 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad24 View Post

IMGP0023
r
I'm really liking this (so much glass) and I'm going to say it's probably the best addition for a number of years. Why couldn't the Maldron look like this (quality wise)....

or the Grand Central.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:34 AM   #527
Not Tall Enough

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Why couldn't the Maldron look like this (quality wise)....

or the Grand Central.
I know its so frustrating, it wouldnt have taken a lot to put in larger windows to really make it look high spec. I'm still hoping it will turn out better than some of M&R's recent developments in England but not holding my breath.
Not Tall Enough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #528
hypnotoad24

Interesting article on the harbour mentioning CQ:
  • CQ3 to commence next year
  • CQ4 to follow
  • Two other blocks to follow that which may both serve one interested major tenant

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...-36254081.html
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #529
Not Tall Enough

Given the economic climate CQ has faced, it has done extremely well to continue at the pace it has.

If CQ 5 and 6 already have potential clients lined up the entire site could be completed in the early 2020's.

If all 6 sites are fully let plus a large multistory car park I hope Belfast Harbour use the return on its invest to build a new footbridge connecting CQ to TQ and also tidy up the area around the M3 under pass. I am not sure how much if any of that land they actually own.

JohnnyNI liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #530
WiseJoeyD

"Talks with businesses" can be as simple as "Oh hey any plans for new offices?" so I always chuckle at how much stock people put in these rumours and half-truths put out by, lest we forget, PR savvy businesses and operators.

(Only the other day for instance a friend spotted a billboard advertising the office block that's supposed to replace Movie House - you know, the one where they were building it so big because they had a 'major client' lined up that warranted such a huge amount of space... except... clearly there's enough space (hmm.. maybe the whole thing?) that's still left to be filled... curiouser and curiouser)

Anyone have a CQ 5 and 6 plans? Only was aware of CQ4 and the car park. Is it across the river or going to be crammed in somewhere else on that side with 1-3?
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #531
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7374

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseJoeyD View Post
Anyone have a CQ 5 and 6 plans? Only was aware of CQ4 and the car park. Is it across the river or going to be crammed in somewhere else on that side with 1-3?
All of the CQ buildings are in that general location around Clarendon Dock, Corporation Street and the Harbour Commissioners HQ

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #532
Not Tall Enough

Quote:

If you exclude the car park and hotel, I count 7 sites.

We know where CQ 1,2 and 3 are, not sure about 4,5,6 and possibly 7.

WiseJoeyD liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #533
hypnotoad24

I always assumed 4 would be to the left of the hotel, with 5 and 6 between CQ3 and the Harbour Commissioners building
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #534
WiseJoeyD

Counting from the top right, the 3rd building down - wish that one wasn't there - That's going to go in the gap between the hotel and CQ 2 right?
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #535
belfast exile

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Counting from the top right, the 3rd building down - wish that one wasn't there - That's going to go in the gap between the hotel and CQ 2 right?
I would rather not see any further building work in that channel between the Harbour Commissioners office and the river but I think that ship has probably sailed.

A landscaped plaza with the HCO sitting prominently would be preferable to hiding away such a nice building (in my opinion of course)

WiseJoeyD liked this post
belfast exile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #536
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast exile View Post
I would rather not see any further building work in that channel between the Harbour Commissioners office and the river but I think that ship has probably sailed.

A landscaped plaza with the HCO sitting prominently would be preferable to hiding away such a nice building (in my opinion of course)
I'm more concerned about the two buildings directly adjacent to the HCO. That would make for a fine new public space and enhance the HCO.

They seem to be planning a review of the CQ masterplan as mentioned in the Bel Tel article hypnotoad linked to. Perhaps some emails to them may contribute to that discussion?

Old October 24th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #537
WiseJoeyD

Absolutely. It's mind boggling that across the water they lament, and celebrate, Belfast's lost maritime heritage... while across the river they're ruining it by hemming it in with modern and soon to be dated looking buildings.

ridiculous, and no I don't think the ship has sailed (pun!). Either the forces of the economy will derail them or hopefully we can [setting aside realism for a second...]
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #538
belfast exile

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
I'm more concerned about the two buildings directly adjacent to the HCO. That would make for a fine new public space and enhance the HCO.
Yeah, those are the buildings I was referring to (plus the riverside one). The sightlines past CQ2 put all 3 in that channel. I think it will be an opportunity missed as a walk along that side of the river would be perfectly complimented by a dander westward around the commissioners office and Sinclair Seamen's Church.
belfast exile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #539
belfastuniguy
Subliving

I think CQ3 is a lost fight given that's approved and work to commence in 2018 so I suppose I'm hoping the public realm between that and hotel is of top quality, it may still provide a decent width space judging by the plan above and comparing it to Corporation Square which is relatively wide.

I'd prefer they move those two office to the land that'll be available alongside the M2 - Westlink underpass, that would help hide that and free up that space beside the HCO. I don't mind the building between the M3 and hotel as it'll help hide the ugly bridge.

Old October 24th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #540
citybus

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Tall Enough View Post
If all 6 sites are fully let plus a large multistory car park I hope Belfast Harbour use the return on its invest to build a new footbridge connecting CQ to TQ
Given the width of the river I'm struggling to see how the benefits of such an expensive bridge would be enough to justify the Harbour Commissioners paying for it. If in a few decades time TQ has expanded and City Quays has improved links to Yorkgate, yeah it becomes easier to write that cheque.

Was there ever a firm idea of where such a bridge would be? Seacat terminal or further north at the Nomadic for example?
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: