search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum Architecture, Planning and Transport on the Island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
plank007

Likes (Received): 850

Embarrassed to say I'm from Belfast...

When I first heard that the Union flag would only be flown at City Hall on certain days I was disappointed to say the least but hey it's only a flag and we have bigger issues to fight in a country that is suffering really badly economically.

When trouble broke out just before Christmas I thought, ahh well hopefully it's only a few isolated problems and in a few weeks people will move on (IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME) but now I don't know what to say other than I'm ******* embarrassed to say I'm from Belfast.

Belfast is a great city, I have always said that and it's certainly one of the UKs best and most vibrant cities. I'm living in England now and wherever I go I'm always saying what a great place Belfast is and how things have changed however with all that has happened recently I feel embarrassed to say that.

All the hard work done by the NI tourist board and the City Council to rebrand Belfasts image and encourage more tourists is all going to waste. Also, and maybe more importantly for the sustainably of this country, foreign investors are probably looking and saying - what on earth - why would we ever invest in a city that can't even sort out flag issues!!

What annoys me is how certain political parties are using the flag issue to further their cause. I listened to that gobshite Willie Frazer on BBC Radio 4 say how he feels like a foreigner living in his own country. NOT ONCE did he condemn the violence and he used the entire interview to attack Sinn Fien. Shameful. I wish dinosaurs like him would just ******* hide under the rock they where born under.

I'm certain the DUP, UUP and a few other political parties could talk to their 'pals' in the UVF, UDA and other criminal organisations and encourage them to stop ******* rioting because if you don't you won't be getting anymore handouts.

Also I was looking on Facebook and there are numerous groups dedicated to protests and I'm fairly certain (from the tone of the posts on there) that alot of the violence is being organised on these Facebook groups. So if the police need any leads, go on Facebook and catch the little inbred scumbags arranging these things.

Rant over.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #2
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7368

The DUP and UUP have little to no influence within Loyalism. They certainly can't stop the protests and riot behaviour. Loyalism itself has to bring itself to stop. They won't though because they are using the issue to further their anger at what they view as the abandonment of their community.

At the start some more moderate people joined the protest but those numbers have fallen away so only the 'core' remains and that core doesn't really respond to logic, hence the continuation. Groups of unemployed loyalist youths don't listen to Peter Robinson, Mike Nesbitt or anyone beyond their circle. That particular group have been ignored by the majority and issues like this are the result.

Sinn Fein and the SDLP were also in the wrong, instead of debating economic difficulties and working together to bring forward incentives and programmes to stimulate growth and address the issue of empty retail units they decided to remove the union flag after a very tense year within unionism and a particularly difficult marching season. They choose the worst possible time to do this and now we have a right ******* mess to clean up.

I don't think people fully understand the anger within hard core unionism and Loyalism and what they see as a false peace and the erosion or their symbols of identity. Symbols are one of the potent and powerful things and messing about with them is very dangerous.

Peaceful protest is fine, blocking road, threatening politicians and attacking police most certainly isn't. The DUP and UUP have question to answer, but so does Sinn Fein and the SDLP. There was no need whatsoever to open Pandora's box, but that's exactly what they did.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2070

This is quite embarrassing. Why are little thugs being given the run of the streets in parts of the city? The police are not being heavy enough.

I saw that Willie Frazer bloke on the news. Cringetastic.

I'd imagine most unionists must have their heads in their hands every time they hear one of these guys speak.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
plank007

Likes (Received): 850

Loyalists? What true Loyalists attacks British police? Crown Forces as they once called them.

They may call themselves Loyalists but they are no more than terrorising thugs, who when they don't get what they want throw their toys out of the pram. I hate to break it to them but life is ******* tough. I don't sit at home leaching of the state, expecting handouts or jobs, or houses OR whatever the **** they want.

Seriously whats wrong with this county? People are becoming seriously ******* lazy. Everyone expects something for nothing and expects the government to give them a handout if they mess up.

Listening to single Mums on the radio moan about how they can't afford child care and how they want the government to pay for it. Well tough shit, if you can't afford to have kids don't ******* have them in the first place. Don't expect the government to bail you out cause you can't do the Maths.

We (the UK) are really becoming the cesspit of Europe what will all our social problems.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7368

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Loyalists? What true Loyalists attacks British police? Crown Forces as they once called them.

They may call themselves Loyalists but they are no more than terrorising thugs, who when they don't get what they want throw their toys out of the pram. I hate to break it to them but life is ******* tough. I don't sit at home leaching of the state, expecting handouts or jobs, or houses OR whatever the **** they want.

Seriously whats wrong with this county? People are becoming seriously ******* lazy. Everyone expects something for nothing and expects the government to give them a handout if they mess up.

Listening to single Mums on the radio moan about how they can't afford child care and how they want the government to pay for it. Well tough shit, if you can't afford to have kids don't ******* have them in the first place. Don't expect the government to bail you out.

We (the UK) are really becoming the cesspit of Europe what will all our social problems.
Most of that has nothing to do with these protests, lazy benefit sponges are from both sides and benefit claims are higher in the nationalist community and employment lower. So I don't see the relevance.

In regard to the police, you're assuming they have processed the logic of such a position, you give them too much credit.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote