daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13288

Ruskin Square | Croydon | U/C

Croydon starts Gateway CPO

Croydon Council has initiated the compulsory purchase of land around the contested Croydon Gateway site.

By Daniel Thomas

It served the CPO to Stanhope and Schroders, significant owners of land around the scheme, this afternoon.

The pair have proposed to develop a 1.6m sq ft (148,643 sq m) scheme on the site, which has been granted planning approval by the Secretary of State.

Croydon has a development agreement with Arrowcroft to develop an alternative scheme, which would include a large arena as requested by the council.

Arrowcroft has challenged the Secretary of State’s decision to grant permission to Stanhope and Schroders’s scheme in the high court, and a decision is expected at the end of February.

David Camp, chief executive of Stanhope, said: ‘We have always stated that we want to work collaboratively with the council to deliver this scheme and it is a shame that they do not regard our success in assembling the site and securing planning consent as an asset for the town.

‘Immediately before Christmas we put, with council encouragement, some bold and imaginative proposals for the land to the north of Lansdowne Road as an alternative to residential use. We are still awaiting their response.’

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
london lad

Likes (Received): 2321

Thats the Arrowcroft scheme isn't it? The one the council supports. To be honest I prefer it to the Fosters scheme which is rather bland & blocky.
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #3
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12398

yes this is the council one.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #4
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

I should imagine the council will be picky about what it looks like as they will be looking at it out of their office window.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #5
lyonsdown

Likes (Received): 0

Bloody hell that'll make a massive difference to that area.

Last time I went there there were a hell of a lot of rundown/empty offices along that road
lyonsdown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 394

Croydon always looks from a distance like a mini Birmingham to me

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Croydon's my home-town and by God it needs this. As Lyonsdown says, there are lots of tatty old office blocks in this area at the moment and this development will tidy it up no end.

You're right Mulattokid, Croydon's skyline does look a bit like a mini-version of Birmingham's!

I have a love/hate relationship with my home-town.

The pros: Great shopping, particularly the new Centrale shopping-centre, great restaurants, particularly in South Croydon, incredibly multi-cultural, Nightlife isn't bad, although you do get a lot of idiots who are spoiling for a fight come the end of the night, NLA Tower - one of the best 60s towers in the UK in my opinion (it's the semi-cylindrical shaped-one on the far-left of the picture. It used to look a bit tatty but since they've cleaned it up, it looks great, particularly on a sunny day!

The cons: Some pretty hideous architecture, lots of chavs and wannabe gangsta-types! Some areas are pretty run-down. Oh, and the road network has been abysmal since they introduced the trams. If you've never visited Croydon before and you're driving through, you'd better have your wits about you with all the strange one-way systems and trams coming at you right, left and centre!

I have slagged Croydon off a fair bit on this site, but I suppose it does have it's plus points!
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #8
The Hunted
Paranoid

Likes (Received): 438

Finally something is happening!

Are there any ideas if and when construction can begin?
The Hunted no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #9
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyBoy1 View Post
Croydon's my home-town and by God it needs this. As Lyonsdown says, there are lots of tatty old office blocks in this area at the moment and this development will tidy it up no end.

You're right Mulattokid, Croydon's skyline does look a bit like a mini-version of Birmingham's!

I have a love/hate relationship with my home-town.

The pros: Great shopping, particularly the new Centrale shopping-centre, great restaurants, particularly in South Croydon, incredibly multi-cultural, Nightlife isn't bad, although you do get a lot of idiots who are spoiling for a fight come the end of the night, NLA Tower - one of the best 60s towers in the UK in my opinion (it's the semi-cylindrical shaped-one on the far-left of the picture. It used to look a bit tatty but since they've cleaned it up, it looks great, particularly on a sunny day!

The cons: Some pretty hideous architecture, lots of chavs and wannabe gangsta-types! Some areas are pretty run-down. Oh, and the road network has been abysmal since they introduced the trams. If you've never visited Croydon before and you're driving through, you'd better have your wits about you with all the strange one-way systems and trams coming at you right, left and centre!

I have slagged Croydon off a fair bit on this site, but I suppose it does have it's plus points!
Well another Pro from us non-Croydoner's, Being part of WWII's London Bomb Alley means it has become a mini suburban cluster..with great potential, as this thread suggests....my home borough: Hounslow will never have such tall buildings!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #10
jef

Are you sure Groydon does not impact on the setting of the Tower of London?
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
Are you sure Groydon does not impact on the setting of the Tower of London?

I'm sure the tall tower will be visible from some unknown angle never seen in 1000yrs and thus it must be demolished and the ground salted to prevent another skyscraper from growing there

thedurringtondoctor liked this post
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #12
delores

Likes (Received): 472

I hope croydon council chooses this scheme, Fosters is an unimaginative bread and butter scheme that really does nothing for the area and will, i fear, end up looking like another ' more' london.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #13
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

Quite a nice thing for all the Gatwick Express passengers to see as they enter London...
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #14
Adam2707

Likes (Received): 103

I think this scheme looks good, but it looks all the same, there no diffrence in the buildings and looks a bit to bland, but other than thatit looks O.K. I suppose.

btw dose anybody know the height of the tall building at the back?
Adam2707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #15
london lad

Croydon Council hits Stanhope with CPO

Croydon issues compulsory purchase order at Gateway site in increasingly bitter battle with developer
16 January, 2007
By Vikki Miller

Croydon Council struck developer Stanhope a heavy blow this week by serving a CPO notice on the Gateway site in East Croydon.

In a statement, the council said the CPO was essential to allow developer Arrowcroft, the council’s partner for the development of the site, to go-ahead with its proposed arena-led, mixed-use scheme.

The CPO is the latest move in an on-going and vicious battle between Croydon Council and Stanhope.

Most of the 13-acre site is owned by a Stanhope/Schroder consortium that wants to develop the site with residential, offices and a public park.

Croydon Council wants to put an arena on the site and prefers a proposal from Arrowcroft, which replaces the urban park with a stadium.

But Stanhope says a large arena is not commercially viable and refuses to incorporate one into its plans.

The council has been threatening compulsory purchase for the past 12 months in the hope that it might force a compromise between the two sides, but without success.

Stanhope says it will resist any attempts to buy the land.

Schroders reacted angrily to the Council decision. William Hill, Head of Property at Schroders said “I do not know whether to laugh or cry. This must be a first. A CPO brought by a Council to stop the immediate regeneration of derelict land by a willing, able and fully funded developer with construction scheduled to start in a matter of weeks.”

David Camp, chief executive of Stanhope, and development partner of Schroders said that the CPO would at least put the Arrowcroft arena proposals under the spotlight.

He said “As baffling as this all may seem, the benefit of the CPO starting is at long last the Arrowcroft arena proposals will be subject to some impartial and proper scrutiny.”

“Over five years on from the submission of the arena scheme for planning we still do not know who the arena operator is, where the funding for the scheme is coming from and the basis of the viability assessment carried out.

[IMG]http://i12.************/2rms3si.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #16
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

How can anyone think that an arena would be commercially viable in the center one of the most populated satellite towns within the border of a world metropolis having some of the best transport connections of anywhere in the city within walking distance? Isn't it obvious that the largest sporting venue that could be sustained is a tennis court - and that's only if it includes a vending machine.

The guy from Stanhope, baffled that "This must be a first" obviously doesn't realise that there must be something seriously wrong with the plans - or they must have annoyed the council with their arrogance.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #17
delores

Likes (Received): 472

its just greedy developers not wanting to spend money on something actually needed in Croydon. I think though a combination of both developers proposals would maybe help the mix for the area. I take back my comments on fosters building, it does look fairly impressive, I just think a purely office scheme is a rather short sited view on what croydons potential is.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #18
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Nice renderings, should be a good development.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #19
london lad

Frogmore steams into Croydon Gateway

Frogmore has agreed to fund Arrowcroft’s Croydon Gateway scheme

By Daniel Thomas

Frogmore will provide all the capital to take the scheme forward, which will include the full cost of a large arena. Arrowcroft will continue to manage the development, which has a value of more than £600m.

The funding will come from its Real Estate Partners fund, which raised around £1bn last year.

Arrowcroft’s scheme has already been awarded planning consent by the council, with which it has a development agreement, but this is being challenged by majority landowners Stanhope and Schroders, which plan their own mixed-use scheme on the site.

The pair proposes a 1.6m sq ft (148,643 sq m) scheme, which has been granted planning approval by the secretary of state.

Arrowcroft has challenged the secretary of state’s decision to grant permission to Stanhope and Schroders’ scheme in the High Court. The council also launched proceedings last month to compulsorily purchase the land, which are again being contested by Stanhope and Schroders.

Arrowcroft’s scheme features a 12,500-seat arena, which the council has specified that it wants within the scheme, as well as retail, 800 homes and 500,000 sq ft (46,451 sq m) of offices.

Nicholas Hai, chief executive of Arrowcroft, said: ‘The signing of this contract is the culmination of years of hard work and evidences the viability of the total scheme.’

Stuart Jenkin, Frogmore's managing director of joint ventures, said: ‘Arrowcroft has devised a very strong and well-founded mixed-use project which will generate good investment returns for our investors.
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #20
mulattokid
BLAND

Its go go then!!

(Mark Joseph 2008)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: