search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #281
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3384

Bid race begins for £700m Chinese towers on South Bank

Quote:
Contractors are gearing-up for the fight to build a £700m luxury hotel and residential twin tower development on London’s South Bank for Chinese property giant Dalian Wanda.

The Enquirer understands that prequal documents are due out next month.
Continues in article

Storeys liked this post
Retro Specs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #282
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 973

I wonder if they'll do anything about all of that white cladding.
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #283
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 3733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storeys View Post
I wonder if they'll do anything about all of that white cladding.
Urgh? What are you talking about?
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #284
Storeys
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesVpelli View Post
Urgh? What are you talking about?
The chunky white cladding that could make these towers look plasticky and cheap
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #285
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 3733

Well, we just don't know unless you contact the Chinese developers! But without information on materials, your guess is as good as mine. Personally I like the geometric Mondriaanesque look of the grid and as it's by KPF I reckon you have no need to worry.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #286
Storeys
Hello

I like the design. From a distance in the renders, I think it looks good. But it would be good to see such prominent cladding look really top quality. Chunky lines of white criss-crossing the building might look too much.
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #287
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 216

Preparation for demolition (or at least a strip-out of some sort) of the current Market Towers building seems to have started.

As of this week, the site has been fully hoarded off from the street (adding to the previous hoarding round the south side of the site), and a couple of guys were busy chopping back the dense foliage that has grown up over the last few years in the unused area between the base of the building and Wandsworth Road.

Several windows on the podium seem to have been removed and replaced with temporary-looking larger openings.

SE9, Core Rising, sk327, Union Man liked this post
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #288
Swissdave

Yup - it's all over for Market Towers. Soft strip underway - the new openings are being used to chuck out the contents of the building. The other side of the building seems to house an office full of plans and diagrams, Club Colloseum is (by the look of it) still open, and the power remains on - so there may be some life yet for the poor building - but not much.

The beginning of the end for Market Towers in Nine Elms by Swissdave, on Flickr

Old Market Tavern sign (Courage, presumably with 'Market special' crack of dawn opening hours, given it was within the market) is now visible...

Market Tavern, Market Towers, Nine Elms / Vauxhall by Swissdave, on Flickr
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #289
danmont

Likes (Received): 10

Great news! Something is finally happening; Do you know if they have submitted the amendments to the planning application already approved.
danmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #290
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 11309

sorry Swissdave, I can't bring myself to like your posts, because I'm fond of Market Towers ...but thanks for the update! hehe

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #291
Retro Specs

One Nine Elms, Sky Gardens and Sainsbury's going up at once, then as these are finishing off we'll see Vauxhall Square and Bondway going up. And probably after those Keybridge House, Covent Garden Towers and the Island Site. Going to be an interesting few years round here.
Old February 28th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #292
eburybridge

Likes (Received): 38

The Market Tavern was a renowned gay club before widespread late opening of bars. It had a late (and early morning) licence due to it orginally being intended for the market traders. It was evidentally a great club as this description bears out:

On a Saturday night, after the Vauxhall Tavern closed, with spirits
high, it was not unusual for the party crowd to cross the street and
visit the Market Tavern at Nine Elms. There were two bars; the front bar
included a dance floor and welcomed the dance set, while the back bar
was more cruisy and heavy with a leather and clone element. The bar was
usually manned by Michael Edwards, a typical clone image, with muscle
tee-shirt and leather jeans. It was in the Market Tavern, one Friday
night, that I had the pleasure of meeting Freddie Mercury, and we had a long chat,
much to the dismay of his bouncer boyfriend.
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #293
BenC32

Likes (Received): 209

What is the time scale on these towers, start dates etc.
BenC32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM   #294
Swissdave

^ Interesting find EB - digging around online it seems this place had a more interesting and active history to it that I thought. I assumed it had closed way back (and it definitely seemed overgrown) - though there is clearly some regret online at its passing.

There was until recently a mysterious branch of the major Spanish bank BBVA buried in the lower levels (almost inaccessible, at the end of an intimidating lower level walkway, and with virtually no signage - heaven knows who used it). It relocated about a year ago to an inner courtyard of the St George Wharf development across the road - still a very obscure location indeed, but far more visible than when it was based in Market Towers. Although ubiquitous in Spain there are only three BBVA branches in London - one is in Knightsbridge, one in the City, but I have absolutely no idea why one is in Vauxhall (my best guess is to serve the quite large Portuguese expat community based in western Stockwell? Not that I think BBVA is that big in Portugal).

SK - yes, I'll also miss Market Towers. The new project here is quite a 'spectacular', but it seems a shame to be losing what is (if you look beyond its current state) quite an elegant building with potential, that has sadly been a bit neglected form the start. It's the only trace of the ambitious 1970s plans for a Vauxhall cluster of towers (which I'm still trying to find ore about - not so easy when it predates the internet).

I also rather like (NB controversy alert!) nearby Keybridge House - imagine it cleaned up and reglazed, and there's actually quite an interesting piece of brutalist design going on - it was definitely designed rather than just chucked together, and I suspect that at the time it was done to a high spec.

Danmont - yes, they have submitted an application for what are described as 'minor-material' changes, and the notifications are taped to the nearby lamp posts. This building (almost uniquely in Vauxhall) happens to be in the London Borough of Wandsworth, which means (yay!) all the details are on Wandsworth's much superior and freely accessible planning website. The changes are -
  • To recook the hotel layout to fit the specific requirement of a particular (unnamed) 5 star operator - e.g. number of parking spaces, basement layouts and size
  • Changes to the location of the next door development's towers, and to the roads and phasing of this project, to fit together with the simultaneous redevelopment of the market next door (this scheme was consented on the same evening, and the developers were specifically asked to work together to do this)
  • Tweaks to pedestrian crossings on the Wandsworth Road
  • Viewing gallery split into two
  • Changes to the cladding of the hotel section

The application number is 2014/0871. Direct link here (click the 'view documents' link; the design and access statements are usually the most interesting to see, though this one is a veritable mammoth with 28 sections and 4 addenda).

But for those who haven't used it, the rather good map interface is here - with Vauxhall being at the top right hand corner of the borough. Purple denotes live applications, but everything is clickable, and reams of documents are accessible. Application 2013/2944 suggests the roads, as well as the buildings, are set to change in the vicinity of the tower...

tsweaver, danmont liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #295
tsweaver

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissdave View Post
I also rather like (NB controversy alert!) nearby Keybridge House - imagine it cleaned up and reglazed, and there's actually quite an interesting piece of brutalist design going on - it was definitely designed rather than just chucked together, and I suspect that at the time it was done to a high spec.
While I like the scheme proposed for Keybridge House, I too am quite fond of it, and will be sad to see it go, when it inevitably does.
tsweaver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #296
Retro Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsweaver View Post
While I like the scheme proposed for Keybridge House, I too am quite fond of it, and will be sad to see it go, when it inevitably does.

Me too. I made a 'neutral' comment on the planning application calling among other things for a design that included both the new tower to be build and the existing tower to be retained at the same time. Some changes would have to be made: new and much better glazing for instance, as well as a thorough clean. But imagine how cool the double height floors would be as flats. They'd also make for cool office space, especially with exposed piping etc, to match the style of the building. Shame they decided it had to go. It's the sort of the building that would have had a good chance of being listed in 25 years when brutalism is finally fully appreciated.

tsweaver liked this post
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #297
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59581

Revised plans for One Nine Elms:

Renders:

Last edited by SE9; March 6th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #298
Ebeneezer_Goode

Likes (Received): 474

Losing the skybridge is a real shame.

Retro Specs, stinkysteel liked this post
Ebeneezer_Goode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #299
sk327

Likes (Received): 348

Do they need to wait for approval again now?
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #300
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
Losing the skybridge is a real shame.
Agree. I also dislike the fact that random aspects have appeared in the cladding, whereas before it was refreshingly regular and formal. There also appears to be a loss of permeability through the site, with the lower blocks adjoining the main tower instead of being entirely separate. Why do they have to mess it about? It's still nice, but I like it less than before.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: