search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #141
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6291

Amen!
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM   #142
wingnut

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMan View Post
I know nothing about construction.
But,complete in 5-10 years.Is that realistic
or have I misunderstood?
wingnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #143
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 660

‘New Vauxhall’ can’t be a rich man’s ghetto

-- Link to London Evening Standard article --

Battersea power station has had a special place in my heart since a school visit when I saw the giant pig from Pink Floyd’s album Animals semi-inflated in the car park. Bob Geldof, who got to know Giles Gilbert Scott’s “brick cathedral” while filming Pink Floyd’s The Wall there, feels the same. “It is without question the great London building, much better than Tate Modern,” he once told me. “There used to be a lever in it marked ‘stand by exciter’. How can you not be impressed by that?”

Geldof was opposed to the plan by successive developers, including the current Malaysian owners, to demolish and rebuild Battersea’s four famous chimneys — “Well, f*** off them” were his actual words. That aside, I’m guessing he approves of the latest “vision” for the derelict behemoth. This surrounds the power station with low-rise buildings that give it room to breathe. And it stands majestic at the end of a great, glittery ribbon of assorted Thameside development, “London’s third city”, which includes the new American Embassy and a redeveloped market at Nine Elms, culminating in a mini-Manhattan at Vauxhall.

I’m quite chuffed at the vision too, not least because I live near Vauxhall, and my retirement plan currently depends on me selling my house to the US ambassador for an extortionate sum. (Go on, Mr Ambassador — I’ll throw in a box of Ferrero Rocher!) The ideas for a linear park through the whole strip, better access to the riverside and a putative new bridge for bikes and pedestrians are welcome.

If the buildings look in reality like they do in the glitzy CG imagery they’ll be better than the industrial sheds and depots that are currently there. I’m reconciled to the new Northern line extension to Battersea, now that its air shafts will apparently only punch holes in one, rather than two, of Kennington’s meagre green spaces.

What’s concerning is the stuff that isn’t being discussed. At a meeting with the power station’s previous owners, a local councillor questioned the lack of school and GP surgery provision for the squillion new homes they planned to build. The implication was that these flats were so expensive the owners would either go private or live overseas and own property here as an investment.

I don’t mind the odd, tentative millionaire venturing south of the river (ah, Mr Ambassador, welcome!) but I don’t think “London’s third city”, which borders swathes of council housing, should be a ghetto for the rich. The tower currently rising at Vauxhall was given the go-ahead by John Prescott against local objections. If Putney resident Nick Clegg really wants to do something about the housing crisis, it’s surely not too late to insist that a proportion of this riverside district, including the people’s power station, stays affordable.
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #144
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
That massive green space you can see on Google earth just to the west is Battersea Park, there will also be a riverside park in front of BPS.

Do you honestly think someone would pay £400m quid for the site and attempt to recoup the cost and pay for the £100m+ renovation of the power station by putting some grass around the power station?

Seriously just sometimes it would be good if some posters looked at something realistically for once rather than the usual simplistic I wish this happened whilst totally ignoring the factors surrounding a project and why certain things are being done.
I am not saying the area lacks green space, I'm saying the power station is now being hemmed in by a Heygate look-alike.

You should study some other cities. It is rather amusing how you and some other members here are trying hard to be "realists" yet what you claim is impossible is in fact reality in many other cities around the world.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #145
Lloyd Lost
Pie Eater

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
I am not saying the area lacks green space, I'm saying the power station is now being hemmed in by a Heygate look-alike.

You should study some other cities. It is rather amusing how you and some other members here are trying hard to be "realists" yet what you claim is impossible is in fact reality in many other cities around the world.
Is it though? Where has a similar building, in a similar condition, in a similar area been successfully redeveloped in a way you think would work for Battersea power station?

Lloyd Lost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #146
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 871

In many places probably. I think it would look a bit better if the buildings were moved further away from the power station to give it some room to breathe. London lad & co are just being dogmatic as usual, claiming that how it is at the moment is the only way it ever could be. It always seems to be the case, whether we are discussing building new buildings, demolishing old ones or street clutter etc.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #147
london lad

Likes (Received): 2226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
In many places probably. I think it would look a bit better if the buildings were moved further away from the power station to give it some room to breathe. London lad & co are just being dogmatic as usual, claiming that how it is at the moment is the only way it ever could be. It always seems to be the case, whether we are discussing building new buildings, demolishing old ones or street clutter etc.
No sorry Bricksy its just you being your ignorant self as per usual. Yes there is over development of the sight and you pulling out your ignorant wish list how you would likes things to look like from google earth assa nothing.

So just to get you up to speed.

This site has been crumbling for the best part of 25 yrs, various schemes have come and gone, the previous Irish owners ( like most Irish developers) were practically having money thrown at them so they paid over the odds for this site. To make there money back they planned to overdevelop the site with around 3,000 units. Now due to hysterics from the usual mob up the river they were allowed to build towers anywhere on the site so instead of having a large tower in the station or smaller ones at the back of the site that would have allowed more room at ground level but they had to cut the height and we all know when developers are forced to cut height because of heritage hysterics they are going to bulk up the shorter plans.

Now you should know the GLA & local planning authorities being pragmatic realised to get the whole Nine Elms and Vauxhall area off the ground and restore the Power station , slight overdevelop here was the best option. The site is now owned by various Malaysian funds. As has been mentioned this Heygate MKII (yes I suppose from someone who has never seen BPS or the Heygate in real life the Heygate is rather blocky and rectangular and the Simpson plans are also blocky and rectangular therefore they must be the same) that is the first phase will partly fund the rather large park and riverwalk and restoration to the actual power station, with the other equally as dense parts partly funding the much needed Northern Line extension that is vital to the whole regeneration of this mile stretch land between BPS and Vauxahll.

As much as we would love to sit in splendid ignorance and say nah this is rubbish what they should do is plant lots of pretty trees. Yes in things like Sim City you can do this but in the real world things cost money. I'm sure you could write and suggest it to the Malaysian pension fund partly funding this that they should loss money for their pensioners because it would look much better from google earth with a bit more space around it.

Until people like yourself realise there is a real world out there and there are constraints on this real world that effect things like this your comments will just continue to look ignorant and childish. Yes we would all like an ideal world but sadly this doesn't really tally in the REAL world.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #148
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 660

Well I think the power station site is overdeveloped, but that is because of the need to renovate the power station and pay for the tube station. It would be interesting to see what it would look like if we could demolish the power station.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #149
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

I don't think it's overdeveloped so much as badly developed. The buildings around the power station don't seem to offer any real response to it. Also: why can't they whack a tunnel over the train tracks so that the sight is less fragmented & has better permeability? Surely covering that short stretch of track with a bit of Highline wouldn't be prohibitively expensive/difficult?
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #150
tekken68

Likes (Received): 205

Some snaps from the public consultation in Vauxhall a week last Thursday.

A couple of renders of Hampton House that i don't think have been posted before, particularly the render from the South.

Mr Cladding liked this post

Last edited by tekken68; November 24th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
tekken68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #151
Ebeneezer_Goode

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken68 View Post
Some snaps from the public consultation in Vauxhall a week last Thursday.

Ebeneezer_Goode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #152
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 128

Truly amazing, let's hope it doesn't get pinnicaled.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #153
Bezben

Likes (Received): 234

wow. That looks amazing! London's own little Residential skyscraper district
Bezben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #154
Minsk

Likes (Received): 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgnome View Post

Source: www.worldarchitecturenews.com
Minsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #155
Ebeneezer_Goode

Likes (Received): 474

What's with all the new renders featuring grass growing completely out of control?
Ebeneezer_Goode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #156
hifive605

Likes (Received): 353

best cluster.. evvveerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #157
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 128

wow
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #158
cosmictanya
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
wow
wow from me. i love it.

but i do quite like the market towers, and i love the tacky qvc building. it's a shame these can't be kept.
cosmictanya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #159
spindrift

Likes (Received): 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
What's with all the new renders featuring grass growing completely out of control?

Green roof. Prairie planting is very trendy, grasses and wild flowers that don't mind poor soil.
spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #160
cnapan

Likes (Received): 126

I quite like the embassy building, but the flats just look like the usual random arrangement of rectangles. Dull dull dull. One thing did catch my eye though: I'm very surprised to see some of the flats showing a decent outdoor area. Ordinarily, London's posh flats often either don't have any outdoor space, or if they do, it's a mean little bit of oil rig fence big enough to stow a bicycle, or a barbeque, or two tiny little seats. (But risking all of these at once is foolhardy!).
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: