search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #101
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 5488

[QUOTE=rayvs99;132565750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depet View Post
First, let me introduce myself.
I'm a 30-yr old airline employee, new to skyscrapercity forum (someone you would call a hipster) who has travelled to over 100 countries during my life. Visited most major cities on all continents.

My top 5 cities ever visited (based on my own experience)
1. Paris, France
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Montreal, Canada
4. Portland, OR, USA
5. Helsinki, Finland

The top-5 Hipster cities, are
1. NYC, (Soho and Brooklyn) USA (home of the Hipster movement)
QUOTE]

Williamsburg Brooklyn to be specific also has a high concentration for NYC

You do realise the term hipster may have been coined in the US (a reuse of the Fifties word), but for the rest of the world just meant 'fashionable', and was mostly obsolete. The reason it arose in the US was it marked the first time in a generation when certain kids went fashion obsessed and purposefully uglified their own styles aka the 'New Ugly' such as skinny jeans and spectacles etc, but redefining beauty (styles btw which came out of Tokyo and Europe).

This was of course the norm for much of Europe whose fashion fads completely leapfrogged the US throughout the 90s, such as the 70s retro movement during the 90s, which only became mainstream in the US much later. If you can pinpoint one movement that inspired global 'hipsterism' it would have been the teenage fruits of Tokyo, a city who bucked its homogeneity with a tradition of bizarro 'self style' that grew in the 80s and bloomed in the 90s, along with the myriad urban tribes. As dictated by the bullied teenagers of the city (think: early emo), Japans close proximity to factory China meant seasons could change every fortnight let alone every 3 months. Also the clothing stores went from hiring fashion designers to hiring frequent shoppers to do a range, notably schoolgirls. By the end of the decade clothing was becoming so bizarre it was verging on performance art, in which students would wrap themselves up in say a tube, or box and stand on the street corner.

1990s Tokyo street scene/ New Ugly:

A sister movement arose in London also (proximity/ links to the sweatshops of India and Eastern Europe means seasons change once a month), especially when a certain clothes stall opened in Camden Market, run by a couple selling second hand ethnic clothing for cheap, which powered the Romo movement. The stall ultimately became the fashion label Red or Dead

Wayne and Gerardine Hemingway open their clothes stall in 1982:

New Romantics scene from the the early 80s, pioneered by the Blitz club (and coming off the last of the Punk movement).

As in Tokyo the fashion scene began to approach performance art in the clubs by the end of the decade

In short hipster fads in the US is unique because that stood out so much back in the noughties, and fueling a whole lifestyle, but in terms of clothing not to Western Europe or Japan. For example go to any suburban London school and all the kids will look like hipsters, dressed in 90s or even early 00s retro. However in mindset they won't know or care a thing. It's just another trend of 'fashion', without any lifestyle opt in.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 10th, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #102
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 739

Switzerland

In Zürich District 4 and 5 are very hipsterish:

Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #103
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 11820

[QUOTE=the spliff fairy;136988022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvs99 View Post

You do realise the term hipster may have been coined in the US (a reuse of the Fifties word), but for the rest of the world just meant 'fashionable', and was mostly obsolete.
If "hipster" just means fashionable in the rest of the world, it does have a very different meaning in North America. Fashions are part of it, but not as shown in the photos! Here it involves a lot of beards, moustaches, toques, tight pants, hair cut short on side and combed back neatly on top. Also a certain type of eyewear, too. It is very much a lifestyle and every city here probably has hipster areas.. ours is West Queen West, Ossington and Kensington Market.

streetscapeer liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #104
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10207

Hipster to me connotes young people who espouse individualism and creativity but end up looking like clones of one another. When some area is deemed a hipster hang out, the interesting people have already moved elsewhere.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

PD, Taller, Better liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; December 18th, 2016 at 10:14 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #105
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 55909

Berlin is the hipster capital of Europe and maybe the whole western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I hear/read that Leipzig is quickly becoming the #2 of Germany for hipsters.
Most certainly it already is. Miles ahead of much bigger places like Hamburg and Cologne. Leipzig is very fashionable anyway, clearly among the most beautiful German and Central European cities.

Some people speak of "Hypezig" in that regard, as the place is hyped a lot (but often for the right reasons imho, like affordable grand old residentials).

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!

Manolo_B2 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #106
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 420

Auckland and Wellington in NZ are also Hipster Meccas.
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #107
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 171

The biggest hipster cities are the more obscure ones. Everybody knows that Berlin, Shoreditch, Williamsburg, Portland and Tokyo are 'hipster cities': they're now 'mainstream' hipster localities, which of course means they can no longer be described as 'hipster'. Whereas there are now new cities which are actually 'hipster', i.e. underground fashion and music scenes that most people would not yet associate with hipster-ness. Cities like Riga, Glasgow, Calgary, Leipzig, and more which most wouldn't know about unless they were 'in the know'.

erbse liked this post
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #108
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

If "hipster" just means fashionable in the rest of the world, it does have a very different meaning in North America. Fashions are part of it, but not as shown in the photos! Here it involves a lot of beards, moustaches, toques, tight pants, hair cut short on side and combed back neatly on top. Also a certain type of eyewear, too. It is very much a lifestyle and every city here probably has hipster areas.. ours is West Queen West, Ossington and Kensington Market.

Yep that whole 'hipster' look was here too but it's out of fashion now, moved on. My point was all that 'lifestyle' (not just the clothes) didn't necessarily come with the moniker in Europe. It wasn't a movement, just another fashion trend. For example a few years ago everyone had the ubiquitous beard+ low fade + retro style, but that didn't mean they were into say, Korean New Wave or bespoke pizzas, or worked the creative industries. It's just fashion as it's always been. And needs that initial period of the New Ugly before it becomes beautiful, which isn't something the notoriously sticky US market is used to (hence hipster being much more unique/ standing out over there and the term coined, back when skinny jeans, beards and glasses was considered uglifying).

I don't know if its over the pond, but the kids these days dress like 90s chavs. For starters the beards have gone to try and look pale and spotty again, and Muslim hipsters won't get mistaken for jihadists any more.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Hair is short now for men - the fades are still about but the long mop/ sweep on top replaced by caesar cut or forward fringe

For women it's pony tails (aka the Croydon facelift), and hair buns. Avoid the sun, look as pale and unhealthy as possible (if you inadvertently tan while say, yatching the Caribbean, add a layer of powder to pretend it's fake).

Also a good few dabs with a prit stick wont go awry

The high street shops have caught on, even the luxury department stores:

And end of days, hooded tops are back in

^Do bear in mind most of those are models or sharp lookers. The reality on the ground is not gonna be this:

image hosted on flickr

More like all this sh*t again

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 10th, 2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #109
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 9938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
The biggest hipster cities are the more obscure ones. Everybody knows that Berlin, Shoreditch, Williamsburg, Portland and Tokyo are 'hipster cities': they're now 'mainstream' hipster localities, which of course means they can no longer be described as 'hipster'. Whereas there are now new cities which are actually 'hipster', i.e. underground fashion and music scenes that most people would not yet associate with hipster-ness. Cities like Riga, Glasgow, Calgary, Leipzig, and more which most wouldn't know about unless they were 'in the know'.
That's true, I think I too was making this point earlier in this thread. Most people have found about the hipster movement only very late when it wasn't a movement anymore but a fashion, and the people trying to be "hipster" would wear the look and the gear without knowing what it actually stands for (which is, to be alternative to the alternative scene, not to the mainstream).

One of my best friends is a real hipster in the proper sense, and for the decade and a bit I've known him, he's been sporting a look that has nothing in common with the pseudo-hipster, the fashion. I'm not sure how to describe itin a few words, the thing that comes to mind is 19th century exploration of Africa in what clothes and accessories are concerned, but with a Charles Darwin type beard instead of the usual colonial side chops. And he only listens to avantgarde psychedelic music from the 70s.

BTW I hope we're not going back to the East 17 look anytime soon!

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #110
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Dont be silly. I think you'll find the reference icon of our ages will be this. She may be gone (12 years for shoplifting quadbikes) but she will live long beyond her time.

Now all I need is a solid gold marijuana leaf.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 10th, 2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 16th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #111
manuelmonge

Likes (Received): 6138

being hipster is so 2008-2012, the IT thing now is being a vaporwave/ S A D B O Y
manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #112
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 55909

Gosh, most of that "fashion" spliff fairy is just horrible trash..
But I suppose you're not actually fond of it, but wanted to display something.

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!

the spliff fairy liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #113
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 11820

There are people who dress like that here, too, but we wouldn't call them hipsters. Hipster here apparently means something very different than in Britain or Europe; it is not just a fashion trend thing here but a lifestyle. The "hipsters" here wouldn't be caught dead dressed like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Dont be silly. I think you'll find the reference icon of our ages will be this. She may be gone (12 years for shoplifting quadbikes) but she will live long beyond her time.

Now all I need is a solid gold marijuana leaf.
Is she related to Vicky Pollard?

the spliff fairy liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #114
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Trust me, it's coming. It's all over the catwalks, and increasingly the celebs.

*****WARNING DISTRESSING IMAGES AFTER THE JUMP*****

And yes I do believe this to be Vicky Pollard's sister-in-law-sister-unclebabymama

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 19th, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:59 AM   #115
Balkanada

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
I think you'll have to scratch Glasgow off the list soon if not already. I've heard of Glasgow having a vibrant underground music scene for years now

Maybe the super-hipster places are Ličge, Belo Horizonte, Kryvyi Rih and Adelaide
Balkanada está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote