SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool Houses and Homes

110K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  bluesnapper 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to pictures of houses and homes in the Liverpool region. I am often inspired by the range of houses and homes available, and also by the interiors that people create, and which reflect their personality, story and experiences.

Today I went to Fulwood Park in Aigburth and then on to Grassendale Park and Cressington Park in L19. It rained towards the end of my little trip and so the quality of some of the shots is not so good.

First of all, I will upload the shots of houses in Fulwood Park - on the face of it the most magnificent of the three gated parks off Aigburth Rd. I went hoping for some uplift and inspiration because I know how magnificent some of these houses are - but sadly, I left feeling depressed.

The contrast between what it once was - with its direct access to the river, and what must have been some of the most fabulous homes in the city when first built, to the feeling of tumble-weed blowing down the streets; decayed and neglected, with poorly partitioned flats, decrepit fencing and walls, and the atmosphere of abandonment. There have also been some new developments which, in themselves, and to some, might represent desirability - but are completely mis-placed in such a grand setting.

There are the type and style of homes you might expect to find in the elevated heights of Hampstead.

See less See more
#155 · (Edited)

St Bride's Church. I believe it is the parish church for the university. Occasionally you see concerts & performances being held here. So much more potential in this building though.

I'll put this in the churches thread - and in the best building thread too!

#166 ·
I'm born, bred and live still in north Liverpool and although I'm fairly well travelled, I am ashamed to say I rarely, if ever go south of the pier head. Apart from the taxi journey to Speke airport a couple of times a year, that's about it.

But, looking at these photo's of this fantastic place, my next city-break is S.Liverpool.

#168 · (Edited)

This following set of photos were taken in the above road, which lies just off Mersey Rd and just past Aigburth Station as you walk down to the river. It is nice and private, being a no-through road and has quite an illustrious past - although only a small percentage remains of the many formerly grand houses along the road. Between the road and the river was another grand Tate ( & Lyle) house and estate called The Lawns - a daughter lived here. At that time there was no promenade and the river came right up Mersey Rd and there was a beach. it would have been lovely. I will post a picture of the view from the bottom of Mersey Rd at the end.
I spoke to a gentleman who lives in the gardener's cottage of The Lawns estate - he said that many sea captains and army brigadiers used to live on this road. He regaled me with stories of circus elephants coming down the road, Salvation Army recitals and a high-ranking army officer being picked-up from his home by his 'batsman' - in full regalia!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.