daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #1
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 9

You a midwesterner for life?

As much as I love (kind of) the midwest, I am getting the **** out as soon as I graduate college (Which looks to be in December 07')

I'd love to move to Austin- a city I have been to many times and holds a dear place in my heart. If not there, just anywhere warm. I can't deal with these winters anymore.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 16th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #2
The anti-cheesehead

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully not.
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #3
Michi
about

The petty (though valid) reasons why people keep leaving the Midwest are the reasons that fuel my desire to stay here even more. Pretty soon there will be noone left here, and that will make this place that much more unique to the people that stay and call it their own. The more people that depart, the more of a lifestyle identity is created for the people that stay to create a new kind of way of life apart from every other place drab with growth that you can't tell apart from one place to the next.

That's just my thoughts on it. Not that that's true or anything.
Michi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #4
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 43

If I got the chance to experience life in another part of the world for some years, I'd take it.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #5
Rogee

I wouldn't mind living elsewhere, but I'm probably a midwest lifer. All my friends and family are here. Plus, I hate hot weather, so the south is really not an option for me.
Rogee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #6
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 1

Weather just doesn't affect my life enough to make me want to leave Milwaukee. If I were to leave it would have to be for another reason.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #7
The anti-cheesehead

If only it weren't so damn expensive. I'd be out of this midwest dump....

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #8
yoyoniner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
Hopefully not.

All you do is bitch about the midwest so why are you still here? It isn't hard to move, at all. I've moved four times to four different regions in the past 10 years. All you do is make the decision, and go. You can seriously start right now and be out by next week. Heck, I'll help pay. It's better than your vibe around which just brings everyone down. Your the type that seriously will move to California and still keep bitching, only about pollution, traffic, cost of living, and rude people. It's just your personality.
yoyoniner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #9
yoyoniner

BTW 90% of LA looks a lot more like a dump than Minne.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #10
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner
All you do is bitch about the midwest so why are you still here? It isn't hard to move, at all. I've moved four times to four different regions in the past 10 years. All you do is make the decision, and go. You can seriously start right now and be out by next week.
Really? It's that easy? I have friends, family, a good job, and a condo here in Minneapolis. I could not be a homeowner in LA right now.

Quote:
BTW 90% of LA looks a lot more like a dump than Minne.
The sun still shines and the palm trees line the streets in even the nastiest parts of LA. "Ghetto" LA doesn't look ghetto.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #11
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

I most certainly am. Weather is not an issue for me. Chicago will always be the place I call home.

Last edited by Jules; March 16th, 2006 at 04:48 AM.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #12
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

You can find me in St. Louie.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #13
yoyoniner

Quote:
Really? It's that easy? I have friends, family, a good job, and a condo here in Minneapolis. I could not be a homeowner in LA right now.
Just go. Trust me. Your vibe is bringing a lot of people down around you. I know this from experience.

Quote:
The sun still shines and the palm trees line the streets in even the nastiest parts of LA. "Ghetto" LA doesn't look ghetto.
You realize that palm trees look about as cool and as exotic as deciduous trees after you've been living there a few months. And honestly, I think LA is one of the dirtiest, slummiest cities I have ever been to. 99% of it looks nothing like those pictures you posted, and like anything, you have to weigh the costs and benefits. It is not a benefit to me to move to an overcrowded city, be a slave to my mortgage payments, and sit in two hours of traffic every day just to come home to my shack. I know a few people who moved there and believe me, the sun didn't help what was the most depressing period of their life. But who knows, maybe you'll love it, so move, move MOVE I say. You are seriously doing your friends and family a favor if you talk anything like you do on this forum about where they live.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #14
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Just go. Trust me. Your vibe is bringing a lot of people down around you. I know this from experience.

You realize that palm trees look about as cool and as exotic as deciduous trees after you've been living there a few months. And honestly, I think LA is one of the dirtiest, slummiest cities I have ever been to. 99% of it looks nothing like those pictures you posted, and like anything, you have to weigh the costs and benefits. It is not a benefit to me to move to an overcrowded city, be a slave to my mortgage payments, and sit in two hours of traffic every day just to come home to my shack. I know a few people who moved there and believe me, the sun didn't help what was the most depressing period of their life.
My "vibe" is bringing people down around me? And you know this because I can criticize the midwest? Listen, not everyone who was born in the midwest thinks it's the greatest place in the world. I do not think I will live here forever, but I'm not going anywhere soon, and I'm not going anywhere because some insecure midwesterner on a skyscraper website tells me to.

BTW, the pictures I posted weren't LA.

I know people who moved to LA and still live there and love it. It's too bad your friends were depressed there.

And I've been all over the US and LA's slums are nowhere near as trashy looking as some in the midwest and northeast. Not.....even.....close.

Quit whining and accept that some people don't think the midwest is the best.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #15
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 43

Just out of curiousity:

Who here has the means to live anywhere they want to?

And why do you live in your respective midwestern city? What brought you here and why do you stay?
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #16
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 3

i agree with cheesehead somewhat
nice first pic of LA which im guessing is in the san gabriel valley a bit east of pasadena, and the second has to be santa barbara, i spent four years in LA and i really really didnt want to leave
anyways i could live just about anywhere in LA, shady or not,
is it impossible to afford LA? depends, but yes its tough, but west coast IMHO is the best place to live in the USA, but even if i did "move" there i would still maintain a residence in the midwest,
its kindof cool living in the "underdog" area of the USA, noone expects anything from you, and living here is a battle against the elements, but atleast i wont have my ass on fire from the shit that burns me in phoenix or lasvegas, that is pretty ******* low, you are basically choosing to put yourself on fire for half the year instead of on ice, not a smart move,

i dont really think the midwest is the "underdog" but it sure is maligned, especially by typical coaster snobs, but in the end it comes done the mediocre principle, i think its called that, there is an actual theorem that states no place in the universe is any more special than any other......
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #17
yoyoniner

Quote:
My "vibe" is bringing people down around me? And you know this because I can criticize the midwest? Listen, not everyone who was born in the midwest thinks it's the greatest place in the world. I do not think I will live here forever, but I'm not going anywhere soon, and I'm not going anywhere because some insecure midwesterner on a skyscraper website tells me to.

BTW, the pictures I posted weren't LA.

I know people who moved to LA and still live there and love it. It's too bad your friends were depressed there.

And I've been all over the US and LA's slums are nowhere near as trashy looking as some in the midwest and northeast. Not.....even.....close.

Quit whining and accept that some people don't think the midwest is the best.
Wow you sound like a very angry person. "Quit whining"--are you for real. That is what I'm trying to get you to stop doing.

Please inform me of where I said the midwest is perfect and should not be criticized, and where I sounded insecure. Where did I say the midwest is the best? I merely said you should move because I know people like you and you just bring people down around you. There is a huge difference between being proud that you can see the good with the bad and can criticize something, and you. You refer to the midwest as a "dump" and you "can't wait to move the hell out." That is a little beyond merely having the capability of criticizing it and anyone who says those things should move the hell away from the rest of us. I don't think this is too extreme and certainly doesn't show any insecurity.
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #18
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Wow you sound like a very angry person. "Quit whining"--are you for real. That is what I'm trying to get you to stop doing.

Please inform me of where I said the midwest is perfect and should not be criticized, and where I sounded insecure. I merely said you should move because I know people like you and you just bring people down around you. There is a huge difference between being proud that you can see the good with the bad and can criticize something, and you. You refer to the midwest as a "dump" and you "can't wait to move the hell out." That is a little beyond merely having the capability of criticizing it and anyone who says those things should move the hell away from the rest of us. I don't think this is too extreme and certainly doesn't show any insecurity.
If I think it's dump, what do you care? I was half joking anyways. You think LA is a dump, I love LA. Out of the 3 biggest cities in the US, LA is by far my favorite and I've spent enough time in all of them to form my own opinion. Believe me, I know it's not a popular opinion in here. This thread asks a question and I answered...honestly.
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #19
Charlie K

I'm a 32 year old, urban professional, gay man who loves city life, my dogs, the outdoors, sports, the gym, summer, winter, lakes, woods, cities, travel, work, etc., etc., etc. I've lived in many places throughout this country and let me tell you, THE MIDWEST IS WHERE IT'S AT. If you get tired of the winter weather, you can go on a vacation. Nothing beats the quality of life that I have in Minneapolis, nothing. I travel to many different cities throughout the country for work and I am always drawn back to Minneapolis and the midwest. I've lived here only four years and love it.
Charlie K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #20
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K
I'm a 32 year old, urban professional, gay man who loves city life, my dogs, the outdoors, sports, the gym, summer, winter, lakes, woods, cities, travel, work, etc., etc., etc. I've lived in many places throughout this country and let me tell you, THE MIDWEST IS WHERE IT'S AT. If you get tired of the winter weather, you can go on a vacation. Nothing beats the quality of life that I have in Minneapolis, nothing. I travel to many different cities throughout the country for work and I am always drawn back to Minneapolis and the midwest. I've lived here only four years and love it.
Glad I went back and read my post. The beginning kinda sounded like a personal add. Oops.
Charlie K no está en línea   Reply With Quote