daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Indonesia Skyscrapers Forum > The Skybazaar of Indonesia > Archive

Old January 9th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #1
Tulsa

Likes (Received): 16

New Economic Growth Area of Riau Archipelago (NEGARA)

Interesting proposal:
http://planet.time.net.my/CommerceSq...ifni/index.htm
Tulsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 9th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #2
F-ian

Likes (Received): 54

Malaysia-Indonesia Bridge?! cool

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #3
F-ian

is this old or new?
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Likes (Received): 2

The copyright is 2004 but I saw the same proposal many years ago. It's an interesting proposal. I do feel it's actually feasible, but not for another 20 years.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5
macgyver

Great Proposal ....
but for the FTZ ... i think still many thing to be discussed by all parties ( central gov, province gov, district gov, .... then to malaysia gov. ) still long way to go ....

But the Bridge can be started soon
macgyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Likes (Received): 4

Not too sure where I get this info from, but I heard that they are also planning to build a bridge or tunnel from somewhere in Riau (maybe Batam or Bintan) to Singapore. Anyone heard of this?
Fir3blaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #7
tata
there's no free lunch

I've heard that, but it's before '97 crisis. The idea also to have people living in Batam and work in Singapore.

Bus Rapid Transportation Database, BRT Part 1, BRT Part 2
tata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #8
PutraMaya

Likes (Received): 0

Bridge projects -- especially over wide sea crossings costing tens of billions of dollars and over a decade of planning and construction -- are driven by actual demand and economics. There must be a real need for a road/rail link as exemplified by congestion and overcapacity of existing ferry/sea crossings. This Karimun proposal is actually a delusion of some idle CONsultant.

The only readily apparent need for a mega over-the-sea bridge in the region is the Java-Sumatra road/rail link. Tens of thousands of people/vehicles traverse the Merak-Bakauheni sea crossing daily (multiplied many fold during "mudik" times).

Back in 1997, Prof. Dr. Ir. Wiratman Wangsadinata of Wiratman & Associates proposed the Sunda Strait Bridge. The planning/construction of this 30km bridge was estimated to encompass 13 yrs and would cost 7.2 billion 1997 dollars. In today's money, at least double that.

The Sunda Strait Bridge

The regional financial meltdown in late 1997 quickly ended Dr. Wiratman's dream.

Full feasibility study
http://www.wiratman.co.id/ximages/sunda.pdf

Looking ahead, I believe the Sunda Bridge will be built within the next 2-3 decades as the project economics are actually favourable. Only 30km of water separates the 40m people of Sumatra and the 120m people of Java. The sheer toll-paying traffic volume, economic spin-offs from the reclaimed land and transportation hubs on both ends, and rights-of-way revenues from power, water and communications cables should ensure financial feasibility over a 30-40 yr payback period.

PutraMaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #9
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutraMaya
Bridge projects -- especially over wide sea crossings costing tens of billions of dollars and over a decade of planning and construction -- are driven by actual demand and economics. There must be a real need for a road/rail link as exemplified by congestion and overcapacity of existing ferry/sea crossings. This Karimun proposal is actually a delusion of some idle CONsultant.

The only readily apparent need for a mega over-the-sea bridge in the region is the Java-Sumatra road/rail link. Tens of thousands of people/vehicles traverse the Merak-Bakauheni sea crossing daily (multiplied many fold during "mudik" times).

Back in 1997, Prof. Dr. Ir. Wiratman Wangsadinata of Wiratman & Associates proposed the Sunda Strait Bridge. The planning/construction of this 30km bridge was estimated to encompass 13 yrs and would cost 7.2 billion 1997 dollars. In today's money, at least double that.

The Sunda Strait Bridge

The regional financial meltdown in late 1997 quickly ended Dr. Wiratman's dream.

Full feasibility study
http://www.wiratman.co.id/ximages/sunda.pdf

Looking ahead, I believe the Sunda Bridge will be built within the next 2-3 decades as the project economics are actually favourable. Only 30km of water separates the 40m people of Sumatra and the 120m people of Java. The sheer toll-paying traffic volume, economic spin-offs from the reclaimed land and transportation hubs on both ends, and rights-of-way revenues from power, water and communications cables should ensure financial feasibility over a 30-40 yr payback period.

That's true, and obviously there is a greater economic need for the Java-Sumatra connection. However, I think the project that now has the most momentum is the Java-Sumatra Tunnel. Here's the thread on it (along with other Sunda strait news): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9&page=3&pp=20
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #10
PutraMaya

Yup, a tunnel may make more sense.

Old January 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #11
tata
there's no free lunch

last thing I heard, the government prefer the bridge than tunnel. In Sunda strait there is Mt Anak Krakatau an active volcano so tunnel is more prone to quake or when it erupts. However still both tunnel or bridge is very costly I dont know if government put this project as priority.

Bus Rapid Transportation Database, BRT Part 1, BRT Part 2
tata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #12
F-ian

didn't the pemerintah say that there gonna make the Bridge/tunnel in a safe zone? so the bridge/tunnel is probably going to curve so it can 'menghindar'(sorry forgot the english word) Anak Krakatau
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #13
PutraMaya

Yes, I read this somewhere as well.

Anyway, "menghindar" is "to avoid."

But its hard for a bridge or tunnel to not be seriously affected by a major Krakatau eruption and/or a >8.0 magnitude undersea earthquake.

What about the Japanese with their record breaking bridges and tunnels near active seismic zones? They should be consulted.

Old January 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #14
F-ian

thank you that's the word! avoid! I think it'll be fine because the person who proposed the tunnel/bridge came from ITB (Tecnological Institute of Bandung/Institut teknologi Bandung) where the smart Indonesian's 'Berkeliaran'(forgot the English word of that too)

Last edited by F-ian; January 11th, 2006 at 07:46 AM.
F-ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #15
UMD

Likes (Received): 514

Isn't it supposed to be part of the Pan Asian Highway that goes all the way to Bali?
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #16
paradyto
entendre privilege

Maybe...
paradyto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote