daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums > Archive

Archive For threads worth keeping

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 59

CHICAGO: Chicago Spire (1600'/2000'/124 floors) (Part Two)

This is a continuation of the original thread started back in July which surpassed 530 posts.

Fordham Spire
Chicago
Roof: 1570' (~479 m)
With water tank: 1600' (~488 m)
With Spire (official height): 2000' (~610 m)
Designed by Santiago Calatrava for the Fordham Company

These are the official renderings:
The latest

Older

Comparison:

Model by STR that is accurate:

---------------

Now the latest news from yesterday's SOAR meeting (reported mainly by BVictor):

Quote:
The meeting was surprisingly well. For the most part most in attendance were in favor of the tower. There were only a few exceptions. One lady who just thought that it was just too dense. And there were the continued questions about traffic, but it was said repeatedly that there will be less traffic than what could be if there were two towers.

Soar was impressed by the logistics and the architecture. They've met several times with the developer to address concerns and they were grateful to him for that.

THIS PROJECT WILL COME BEFORE THE PLAN COMMISSION ON THURSDAY MARCH 16, 2006

There have been a few changes like the seperation of parking from the tower. The tower will now decend uninterupted to the ground, and you will be able to walk all the way around the base.

Deliveries will be made VIA lower Lake Shore Drive. That's where the truck bays will be as well as entrance and exits for the parking. Residents will also be able to enter the parking structure VIA East North Water Street, but they will emphasize using lower LSD. The tower will be covered in all glass-clear. The parking structure will be covered in a lattice work of woven stainless steel.

2PruRocks pointed this out to me cause I hadn't noticed. The roof height has changed. An architect from DeStefano mentioned that there would be 124 rotations, and this was confirmed later on. THE BUILDING IS NOW 124
FLOORS AND THE ROOF HEIGHT IS NOW 1,570'---1,600' TO THE TOP OF THE WATER TANK.

Alderman Natarus was there and he said that he approved of the project and that he would do so at the plan commission meeting. He said that building this tower would put Chicago on the map. i.e. not that it already isn't. He's also done everything possible to keep the traffic on N. Water Street light.

It was mentioned by the developer that there will possible be a restaurant towards the top of the building. There will be baclonies from floor 50 on down. He also mentioned that he hoped to announce the hotel company and some tenative financing sometime in April and hopes to break ground within the next 10-12 months.
Also 2PRUROCKS! mentioned night lighting:
Quote:
The structrure of the tower will continue below grade and be visible for two levels below from the base. I couldn't completely visualize this but it sounds spectacular. At this time the spire/antenna will not be illuminated at night (although Carely wants it to be) because Natarus is afraid it would then be an easier terroist target. That is why he wont let the Palmolive building becaon be lit up. I also suspect this is why Trump won't be lit up. This made no since to me...Chicago has tons of buildings lit up, are they targets? if so why don't they have to urn off their lights? Trump and FS are almost certainly going to be required to have some sort of becaons for planes to avoid them, so wouldn't theses same lights guide evildoer planes to them? Chicago is already so lit up that theses buildings will still be visible?

On another note the is no agreement in place for the antennea but Carley thinks there will be a need for it. Carely said he was approached just today by the Beitler/LR group and potential broadcasters about the possibility of joing with Carely to use the Fordham Spire atennea I guess instead of their tower. This however is in the very early stages.
And from a week or two ago from BVictor:
Quote:
Okay, I've just come from the sales center, and this is what I have so far...

They began taking reservations on Saturday for VIP's, not the people who've just signed up online. These are people who immediately wanted to plop down money. So far there are 13 reservations, 1 for a $7million penthouse. In order to reserve you must put down a $20,000 deposit to hold your unit from 30-60 days. After that if you want it you must place a 10% down payment towards the unit and you can use the deposit towards it. They will probably be dealing with the VIP's for the next few weeks then begin dealing with others. Right now only about 130 of the 250 units are being shown because floorplan layouts aren't complete and there's a good chance that they'll change.

The smallest unit of 705 sq feet cost between $805,000-$825,000

A full floor penthouse on floors 90-99 cost between $7,400,000-$8,300,000

Duplexes on floors 100-104 will set you back only $15,500,000-$20,000,000
That is the latest on this project and sorry for taking so long to create a "part two."

Last edited by spyguy; August 9th, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
spyguy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

This is gonna be one slick tower.
Jules no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Dale

Likes (Received): 1805

Only 13 reservations to date ? Seriously ? I thought they'd gotten that the first day.
Dale no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 114

This is a hot one!
Urban Dave no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Only 13 reservations to date ? Seriously ? I thought they'd gotten that the first day.
Well this is the number BVictor reporteda while ago. And this of only some VIPs (whatever that means) and not even all the people interested in the tower. It is also a little risky putting down a reservation on something that hasn't even been approved by the city.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #6
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Only one of STR's model work... that you posted...

This building better be built!!!
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #7
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 559

I love this tower...
Bikes no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #8
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 2

That comparison thing isn't accurate anymore, though--The Fordham Spire is now quite a bit taller than the Sears.

And it looks like this thing has a really great chance of being approved!
pottebaum no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #9
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6231

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this on here, but I'm not really a fan of this proposal. I don't think it suits Chicago.

Compared to all the boxes around it, it just seems too 'skinny' and delicate somehow, and the spiral effect makes it look rather out of place in my opinion. I think it would look better in somewhere like Dubai, or Shanghai.
wjfox no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #10
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this on here, but I'm not really a fan of this proposal. I don't think it suits Chicago.

Compared to all the boxes around it, it just seems too 'skinny' and delicate somehow, and the spiral effect makes it look rather out of place in my opinion. I think it would look better in somewhere like Dubai, or Shanghai.
Love the height, love the tower...but i agree with you, it just doesnt seem to fit chicago...it would look more in place in Dubai...if it were wider and boxier it would fit chicago's skyline more.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #11
spyguy
Expert

Quote:

Not to go too off-topic, but isn't this the kind of thing Londoners would hate to hear? Replace Fordham Spire with LBT or Bishopgate Tower or even SwissRe and "boxes" with low-rise and perhaps you get the same effect.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #12
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:

Well, those pictures depict the original design, which has since been changed twice. The newer versions fit in much better and are more thought-out in general than the early version above.
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #13
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

That's actually one of the reasons I love it. It's different, yet beautiful. To have a great skyline, you need more than "boxes and square buildings". This is exactly what Chicago needs.
ChiLooper no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #14
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 81

124 floors now, I love it
malec no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #15
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

I love how different it is. Let's see if it can't start a revolution of out of place architecture here in Chicago.
Jules no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #16
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Here's my latest 3D renderings. The first 5 are pano's of the entire Chicago Skyline as it will appear in 2010. The last 8 are focused solely on Fordham Spire. THe model is based on the latest information and is the most accurate render available to the public.

New Pano's

Fordham Spire version 1.3:

Last edited by STR; March 9th, 2006 at 07:35 AM.
STR no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #17
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6231

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Not to go too off-topic, but isn't this the kind of thing Londoners would hate to hear? Replace Fordham Spire with LBT or Bishopgate Tower or even SwissRe and "boxes" with low-rise and perhaps you get the same effect.
Not to go too off-topic, but in my opinion LBT suits London far better than Fordham Spire suits Chicago. LBT is designed to imitate the historic Wren church spires of the 17th century and is perfect for London.
wjfox no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #18
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 544

Can't say i agree with you there. Fordham Spire suits Chicago as much as LBT suits London as far as i'm concerned. Actually, i think Fordham Spire probably suits Chicago more because at least it's got plenty of brothers & sisters around it.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #19
themongrel

Likes (Received): 0

i like the shape of the building and i think, if built, it will become the new centre piece of chicago. but i don't like that spire, spires are cheating a bit anyway, but that one almost looks an after thought. i do hope they build it though.

can anyone do some proper nighttime renderings, showing it with its lights on.
themongrel no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #20
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

I absolutely, unequivocally., 100% disagree that the spire is an after thought. It is very integrated with the design and removing it would ruin the roof and profile. This isn't CITIC Plaza, where it's a box with two simple sticks pointing out, don't treat it as such. The very fact that they're planning on such an elaborate and complicated spire is proof that it is important.

Besides, there's going to be antenna installed anyway, why not spruce it up a bit?