SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Roads | Flyovers | Freeways

Tags
mumbai
2M views 8K replies 398 participants last post by  Anuj N 
#1 ·
The Mumbai Roads and Flyovers thread went missing during the reorg, so this thread will basically serve the purpose of tracking updates on projects related to Roads including Bridges, Flyovers and Freeways.

x-posting the last couple of posts retrieved from Google's cache.

Axw11 said:
Freeway won’t spoil heritage view: MMRDA

Source: www.mumbaimirror.com
The city can rest assured that its heritage structures will not be put in the background by the elevated section of the proposed freeway from Colaba to Anik in Wadala.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has told representatives of Asiatic Society that the elevated sections would begin only after the point where the heritage buildings end.

The society had expressed reservations that the freeway, which is supposed to begin at the Prince of Wales Museum and pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area would obscure views of Town Hall, Hornbill House, Church of St Andrew and St Columba, Old Customs House, Government Mint, INS Angre and other naval establishments, and the Reserve Bank of India headquarters. All these and several more buildings on this route are heritage structures and the pride of this city.

The Asiatic Society feared that if elevated sections of the freeway come up in front of these buildings, they would be robbed of their grandeur.

On March 4 , Mumbai Mirror had reported the concerns raised by Asiatic Society about the freeway obscuring the city’s heritage structures

The society wrote to the MMRDA about its concerns in the second week of March and sought a meeting with commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.

A meeting was fixed two weeks ago where Gaikwad assured the society’s members that the proposed 22-km freeway would in no way obstruct the view of the various heritage structures on Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

He told them that there would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

Secondly, widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder.

Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.

Joint project director (public relations) Dilip Kawathkar told Mumbai Mirror that all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure that the heritage structures are not disturbed in any way and retain their grandeur.

WHAT IS THE FREEWAY ABOUT?

The proposed freeway will provide a high-speed corridor between Colaba and Anik in Wadala. It will start at Prince of Wales Museum, pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area. It will take the Anik Panjrapole Link Road and touch the Eastern Express Highway at Wadala. It is estimated to cost Rs 600 crore and is expected to be completed in 36 months.

WHY IT WON’T OBSCURE HERITAGE

There would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road where most of the heritage structures are located. Widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder. Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.
Jubin said:
MM: JVLR gets presidential nod
link

With President Pratibha Patil giving the go-ahead to acquire a part of the Indian Institute of Technology land for widening the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is doing everything it can to speed up work on the project.

A senior MMRDA official said that after several months of negotiations between MMRDA and IIT officials, the matter went to the President whose consent is required as IIT is run by the central government.” The President gave her consent last month enabling MMRDA to acquire the land for road widening,” said the official.
IndiansUnite said:
Thought i'd mention it here. Mumbai has around 50 functional flyovers right now. The ones U/C compiled from different sources are-

5 U/C on the WEH (Kandivali, Malad, Goregaon, Santa Cruz, Kherwadi)
5 U/C on Ambedkar road (Byculla, Lalbaug, Parel TT, Dadar TT, Sion)
Navghar flyover on EEW
Suman Nagar flyover
Barfiwalla lane- SV Road
Kurla Flyover
Sahar Elevated road (1.8kms)
Adi Shankaracharya Marg : LBS road
R.C.F. Junction

______

Apr 5: Kurla flyover on track again

MUMBAI: Work on the city's first double-decker flyover, coming up near Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, Kurla, which adjoins the Santa Cruz-Chembur Link Road (SCLR), is finally progressing after some initial delays. The flyover is expected to be ready by the end of next year.

The flyover will be 1.75 km in length and will cost Rs 110 crore. It will connect Sable Nagar near Tilak Terminus to New Tilak Nagar, which is between Hans Bugra Marg and Amar Mahal Junction.
cptracker said:
Kandivli west to east in 15 mins

Some shanties (in the background, on left) on the eastern end of the Kandivli flyover were blocking construction of the approach road. Last week, the BMC removed the last of the shanties

BMC removes shanty that held up work on flyover for nine years, will make it operational in May

Residents of Kandivli can rejoice as the last of the tenements that had held up work on a flyover connecting the eastern and western parts for over nine years was removed last week. Considering the delay, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) demolished the shanty within an hour of the occupants getting alternative accommodation.

The flyover is almost complete but for the approach road, which could not be built as it necessitated removal of the tenement.

R-South ward assistant municipal commissioner V V Shankarwar said, “Once the occupants were allotted alternative accommodation, we called up the family and gave them an hour to vacate the room. Our staff then took a tempo to help the family shift to their new home at Kandivli (W). As soon as they left, we demolished the structure. We did not want to waste even a single day. The flyover will be made operational in May 2008.”

The tenements were part of a chawl lying at the eastern end of the bridge over the Western Railway line. Apparently, BMC never took the 115 shanties into account while planning the flyover in 1995. Work began in 1996 but was held up in 1999 after residents of the shanties refused to make way for the flyover.

In May 2005, occupants of 107 shanties were given alternative accommodation. Seven more were rehabilitated later but one remained because of a dispute between two parties. The last one was removed last week. Rs 60 crore went into the rehabilitation project.

But it seems to be money well spent. Nishant Chavan, Mahindra & Mahindra employee, says, “It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.”

ABOUT THE FLYOVER

The flyover can be reached from Killachand Road (Shanker Lane) in the west. It will lead to Ashok Chakravarty Road and further to Akurli Road in the east. It is 600 metres long, 90 feet wide and cost Rs 9.85 crore.

At present, people have to travel all the way to either Borivli or Malad to cross over from Kandivli west to the east. Alternatively, they can try the Kandivli station railway crossing, which is, however, closed during peak hours in the morning and evening. Incidentally, WR plan to close the crossing once the flyover is operational due the high number of accidents.

Interestingly, a 57-foot high wall will be built on the eastern side as a visibility barrier at the insistence of defence authorities. The adjacent plot belongs to the armed forces who wanted the wall for security reasons.

It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.
- Nishant Chavan, M&M employee

I am very happy because I have to travel from east to the west every day, sometimes twice. Also, this flyover will be boon for those facing a medical emergency. And, in case of a fire, the fire engines will reach here quickly
- Usha Patel, housewife

#4 ·
DNA: MMRDA moves to make JVLR a safer road

MMRDA moves to make JVLR a safer road

Almost a year-and-a-half after the World Bank pointed out to the increasing number of accidents on the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is working towards making the link road safer.

MMRDA will implement the World Bank safety audit on the 10.8km road, which has since 2002 witnessed 260 accidents resulting in 41 deaths. MMRDA has proposed to construct foot over bridges (FOBs) at Majas Depot Ganesh Visarjan Talaov in Jogeshwari, Greenfield Society-Poonam Nagar junction of Jogeshwari, Powai Lake Boating Club, Pachpoli Municipal School, Ramashram Powai, Ajahara shopping centre, Panchkutir Powai, Hiranandani Gardens and Tagore Nagar at Vikhroli.

MMRDA recently completed signal installations and has come out with a Rs12-crore proposal to set up the FOBs, erect road signages and do markings. Traffic police have been asked to declare the speed limits and no parking areas.

Traffic police recently detected 1,300 cases of illegal parking in a span of just three months. It has also asked for relocation of garbage bins, rectification of Tunga Village approach and fitting of median blocks to demarcate west-bound traffic from north of Seepz flyover.

#5 ·
DMRC to undertake feasibility of tunnel from Haji Ali to Marine Drive

The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is taking a keen interest in infrastructure projects in the island city .

After helping the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) in developing plans for the Mumbai Metro, it will undertake a feasibility study to develop an underground tunnel linking Haji Ali to Nariman Point.

The tunnel is part of the proposed Western Freeway Sealink Project floated by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC). The project envisages connecting the Worli-end of the Bandra-Worli Sealink to Nariman Point with a dispersal link connecting Cuffe Parade.

"A contract has been signed whereby the DMRC will undertake a feasibility study for a tunnel from Priyadarshini Park to Nariman Point. DMRC Chairman E. Sreedharan has taken a special interest in the project," MMRDA Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad said.
[HT]

Peddar Road flyover gets environment clearance

The state government's plan to build the Peddar Road flyover got a boost on Friday as the Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority cleared the proposal and forwarded it to the Centre for approval.

The state plans to build a four lane viaduct (elevated road) from Haji Ali to Vallabh Pant Chowk along Peddar Road to ease traffic.

The MSRDC is building the same. The area is close to the sea and hence falls under the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) formed to protect ecologically fragile areas.

As per the CRZ norms, the Ministry of Environment and Forest has to issue clearance for infrastructural projects costing more than Rs 5 crore. However, such projects need a nod from the state's environment authority.
[HT]

what about the most crucial approval of Lata Mangeshkar?

#6 ·
DMRC to undertake feasibility of tunnel from Haji Ali to Marine Drive

[HT]
What the?!! MSRDC is supposed to be handling this and the consultant will be appointed on May 17th. Where did MMRDA come from? Left hand does not know about right hand again?!!!

Peddar Road flyover gets environment clearance

[HT]

what about the most crucial approval of Lata Mangeshkar?
This is part of the consultant's job. Lets see what they come up with.

#7 ·
What the?!! MSRDC is supposed to be handling this and the consultant will be appointed on May 17th. Where did MMRDA come from? Left hand does not know about right hand again?!!!

This is part of the consultant's job. Lets see what they come up with.
This is what i am referring to.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/DMRC-to-study-feasibility-of-Haji-AliMarine-Drive-tunnel/307727/
MSRDC says its own consultant for Western Freeway Sea Link Project already studying all options

In an attempt to find an alternative to the long-pending construction of the Pedder Road flyover, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has “volunteered” to conduct a feasibility study for a proposed underground tunnel from Haji Ali to Marine Drive.

“The DMRC chief E Sreedharan has volunteered to conduct a study and submit a report on the feasibility of a tunnel, which is being looked at as an alternative for the Haji Ali-Marine Drive connectivity,” said Metropolitan Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.

However, Public Works Department minister Anil Deshmukh, also chief of the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) which is building the Bandra-Worli Sea Link (for which the Pedder Road flyover or the tunnel would be an essential dispersal system), said the DMRC study will be conducted conducted “independently” even while an MSRDC study is underway.

#9 ·
Work starts on Eastern Freeway
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/Work_starts_on_Eastern_Freeway/articleshow/3089415.cms

MUMBAI: Work on one of the road projects that Mumbai is looking forward to, the 22-km Eastern Freeway, has started. The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) early this week started laying the foundation for the road that is likely to throw open the hitherto-closed eastern waterfront for development besides giving Mumbai's central and eastern suburbs a quicker access to the island city.

The Eastern Freeway, from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Museum (formerly Prince of Wales) to the Eastern Express Higway at Anik-Wadala, will be a high-speed corridor that will enable motorists to traverse the entire distance in 20 minutes. Motorists now travelling northeastward from Fort take the D N Road-J J Flyover-Dr B R Ambedkar Road route to reach Sion, which takes almost an hour. So the Eastern Freeway will save nearly 40 minutes and also take the pressure off the existing roads, officials feel.

The freeway will be ready by December 2010 and is estimated to cost Rs 531 crore. It is being funded under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission; the Centre will bear 35 per cent of the cost, the state 15 per cent and the MMRDA the remaining 50 per cent.

MMRDA chief engineer S Nandgirikar said the agency had obtained a no-objection certificate from the Mumbai Port Trust to carry out the work during monsoon. But the initial work, laying of the pile foundation, involves digging, trenching and boring and will affect traffic on the narrow MbPT road. "They put certain conditions so that port traffic was not disrupted. But the road will be an elevated structure from CST to Anik-Wadala Link Road (a distance of nearly 8.9 kilometres)," Nandgirikar said. The elevated road will affect around 60 structures, belonging to the MbPT and spread over a length of 2 kilometres, near Carnac Bunder and they will have to be demolished. "Most of these buildings were leased out and the MbPT recently carried out a survey and found that most of the leases had expired. So there should not be a problem in demolishing them," he said. The MMRDA has also had to raise the height of the elevated structure from 5.5 metres to 6.5 metres so that it does not affect the port railway network.

"The existing MbPT road will be improved but will not be open to civilian traffic. This will move on the elevated road," Nandgirikar said.

#10 ·
Where did MMRDA come from? Left hand does not know about right hand again?!!!
Ludicrous planning. I am guessing that E.Sreedharan offered Ratnakar Gaikwad (MMRDA honcho) to conduct the feasibility of the tunnel while he was discussing plans to set up the MMRC. One of the reasons for the offer could be that he didn't want the alignment/depth of the tunnel planned by MSRDC's consultant to upset MMRC's metro plans.

Awesome

#12 ·
I hope this gets used enough. Ive seen most indian people are lazy to climb up, and less lazy to use an underpass/subway. I guess constructing a subway is more expensive even though it might be used more often than a skywalk especially at road crossings..

#15 ·
lol i can't believe they're actually making it. this is going to look so stupid. a long bridge above crowded, filthy laneless streets in a badly organized city. just imagine how dirty and nasty this this is going to get and how bad its going to look above an even dirtier street shown in the picture above.

#16 · (Edited)
lol i can't believe they're actually making it. this is going to look so stupid. a long bridge above crowded, filthy laneless streets in a badly organized city. just imagine how dirty and nasty this this is going to get and how bad its going to look above an even dirtier street shown in the picture above.
I wonder if they have an idea of what mumbai should/would look like 10 years down the line...

When will we have mass demolitions and 12 lane highways and 8 lane roads with wide sidewalks and landscaping?

A skywalk here and a flyover there will barely meet the demands of todays mumbai...you will soon have them EVERYWHERE...imagine how ugly skywalks and flyovers will look everywhere.

I cant accept that politicians can be this stupid and short sighted when they also spend extra to have the beautiful BWSL...it simply has to do with the democratic process.

The metro will decongest roads to a large extent but it still wont be enough...the number of vehicles on the roads will grow explosively with the rising per capita incomes.

I guess new businesses will start to move outside of mumbai to the navi mumbai and mahamumbai sezs...

That means a monster metro but fewer skyscrapers lol

I used to cringe at the jingoism that many of us display but now i think it will go a long way in land acquisition 5 years from now when people begin to see the changes from the economic reforms all around them and they begin to see the big picture and the macroeconomic implications of giving up their lands.Im sure they will sacrifice their own self interest to an extent for the rapid development of india.I hope the government cashes in on the jingoism in the years to come:lol:

#18 ·
The Skywalk will be the ugliest structure in Mumbai ever built. I do not know who lets these babus decide what they want to do and I don't have any clue why do these babus come up with the silliest ideas!

#19 ·
The Skywalk will be the ugliest structure in Mumbai ever built. I do not know who lets these babus decide what they want to do and I don't have any clue why do these babus come up with the silliest ideas!
that area is already ugly so an ugly skywalk will do no harm. atleast it will decongest the area.

#20 ·
.....atleast it will decongest the area.
Only if they are put into good use by people.

There are subways in Borivali by borivali station (I am talking the one right opposite the Borivali station) Not many people use it. Here's one idea: Put escalators in all the subway. The new technique will draw people's attention and it will be also useful for people who are to lazy to climb stairs.