search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #61
jeevan.guru

Likes (Received): 69

Kuruvadweep :

Kuruvadweep : Visitied two times. Score: 7/10

Kuruva Island is also popularly known as Kuruva Dweep, which lies on the banks of the tributaries of River Kabini. This island is a famous picnic spot which is located away from the main towns of the district.

Situated around 17 km from Mananthavady, it is inhabited by rare bird species, herbal plants and orchids. This island covers a large area of around 950 acres of evergreen forest.

It is also famous for its bamboo canopy which provides a glimpse into the natural treasure of the confluence of the rivulets. This island is close to the Begur Wildlife Sanctuary, which is home to varied wild animals and birds.

Boating facilities are provided by the District Tourism Promotion Council.

VISIT MY BLOG
Wayanad, own land in green paradise
LOW PRICED REAL ESTATE WAYAND

RKPV liked this post
jeevan.guru no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #62
jeevan.guru

Pakshipathalam Bird Sanctuary

Pakshipathalam Bird Sanctuary :Visitied two times. Score: 8/10

Pakshipathalam Bird Sanctuary is situated around 7 km north-east of the Thirunelli Temple. This sanctuary is located nearly 1,740 metres above the main sea level and is known to be inhabited by varied species of birds. It also features moist deciduous forest, steep hills and streams that make it ideal for trekking and picnics.

Tourists can trek to Pakshipathalam from Wayanad to watch some of the rare species of birds. There is also a watchtower at Pakshipathalam from where views of the entire bird sanctuary are available.

Visitors have to take special permission from the Forest Department to travel to this bird sanctuary. The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) also arranges guides, vehicles and camping equipment on rent.
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm4DaPd4J5S49kACh_nQP_jZ5B7ymoSZlw1ouhZ4BbtJlYtHFgdA[/IMG]
Rocky hillocks and deep rock caves are the best places in Pakshipathalam for birdwatching. It also houses Garudan Kavu and Bhuthathan Kavu that attract large number of travellers coming to Pakshipathalam. Visitors are not allowed during the months of February through May, due to the danger of summer forest fires.

VISIT MY BLOG

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #63
jeevan.guru

Thrissilery Shiva Temple

Thrissilery Shiva Temple :Visited one time. Score: 6/10

Thrissilery Shiva Temple is situated at about 19 km from Thirunelli, on the main Mananthavady-Mysore Highway. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and has an intrinsic link with the Lord Vishnu Temple at Thirunelli. Travellers coming to Thirunelli Temple to pay homage to their ancestors also visit the Thrissilery Temple.

Papanasini water flows through this temple, which houses a small shrine of Jala Durga. The water never dries and it is believed that the shrine was installed here by Parasurama, who was an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. From Thirunelli, taxis or auto rickshaws can be hired to reach this temple, which is 4 km away from Kartikulam.

VISIT MY BLOG
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #64
jeevan.guru

Banasura Hills Treck

Banasura Hills Treck:Trecked one time. Score: 7/10

Banasura Hill is the second tallest mountain in the Wayanad district of Kerala, India. The hill is named after Banasura, a mythical character of Indian legends
VISIT MY BLOG

bijoy, sakrishna liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #65
jeevan.guru

Karlad Lake

Karlad Lake : Not Visited . Score: 6/10

Karlad Lake is located in Thariode, which is around 16 km away from Kalpetta. This is the second largest freshwater lake in the state, which is quite popular among nature enthusiasts for its peaceful environs.

Eventhogh I passed this area I had no opportunity to visit .

The 7 acres land surrounding this lake is a popular picnic spot, where boating can also be done. This lake is surrounded by dense bamboo groves that are perfect trekking trails for reaching the Pallikkunnu Church.

Banasura Sagar Dam is situated around 3 km away from the Karlad Lake. There is a Karlad Tourism Centre at this place which comprises a facilitation centre, dormitories, a heritage village and a restaurant.

VISIT MY BLOG

Last edited by jeevan.guru; March 15th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #66
jeevan.guru

Valliyoorkavu :Visited several times. Score: 7/10
Bhagavathi Temple is situated in the tribal region of Wayanad District and is dedicated to Goddess Bhagavathi. This temple is just 3 km away from the village of Mananthavady.

An annual festival in March is conducted at this temple, during which folk art forms like Kalamezhuthu are performed by the tribal people. Locals also perform tribal dances with native percussion instruments.

VISIT MY BLOG

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #67
jeevan.guru

Paingatteri Agraharam

Paingatteri Agraharam :Visited one times Score: 5/10

It is an ancient settlement of Tamil Brahmins which is situated at a distance of around 7 km from Mananthavady. The houses present in Agraharam have been declared as a heritage site.

These houses are built in rows that give a clear picture about the classic architectural style of Tamil Brahmins. The Tamil Brahmins living in Agraharam are said to have migrated from Thanjavur in the state of Tamil Nadu.

These Brahmins arrived here as cooks of the Kottayam Dynasty and later on settled in the district of Wayanad. There are many small ponds and temples situated inside Agraharam that attract numerous tourists
VISIT MY BLOG

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #68
jeevan.guru

Pulpally Seethadevi Temple :not Visited Score: 6/10

Pulpally Seethadevi Temple is a famous religious attraction located at Pulpally, which lies within the Wayanad District. This shrine houses an idol of Goddess Sita, along with that of Luv-Kush, Lord Ayyapa, Lord Subramanya, Lord Ganesha, Lord Thalachiluan, Lord Vettaikaran and Lord Naga. It is one of the very few temples in India that is dedicated to Luv and Kush, the sons of Lord Rama and Goddess Sita.

The ruined Jain Temple (Janardhana temple) is situated inside coffee plantation, 5 km from Panamaram near Punchavayal junction/ 29 km from Sulthan Bathery. Located in Wayanad, Kerala.

VISIT MY BLOG

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #69
jeevan.guru

Jain temple Panamaram: visited Twice. Score 7/10

These ruined Jain Temples (2 in number - Janardhana temple, Vishnu temple) are situated inside coffee plantation, 5 km from Panamaram near Punchavayal junction.
VISIT MY BLOG

anikuttan liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #70
jeevan.guru

Pazhassi Raja Tomb, Mananthavady : Visiting Almost everyweek score: 6/10
Pazhassi Raja Tomb is a famous memorial of the lion of Kerala or Pazhassi Raja. He is known for organising guerrilla warfare against the British in Kerala. His mortals are kept inside this memorial, which is located at Mananthavady.

In 1805, Pazhassi Raja was cremated after his death during the warfare against the British East India Company. He died in an encounter at Mavilanthodu, which is near Pulpally that is around 1 km away from the main town of Mananthavady. Pazhassi Raja is considered to be the last king who revolted against the British after the death of Tipu Sultan

VISIT MY BLOG

Old March 14th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #71
RKPV
GeoStatic

Likes (Received): 763

great efforts jeevan !
RKPV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #72
Irshad

Likes (Received): 1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan.guru View Post
Valliyoorkavu :Visited several times. Score: 7/10
Bhagavathi Temple is situated in the tribal region of Wayanad District and is dedicated to Goddess Bhagavathi. This temple is just 3 km away from the village of Mananthavady.

An annual festival in March is conducted at this temple, during which folk art forms like Kalamezhuthu are performed by the tribal people. Locals also perform tribal dances with native percussion instruments.

VISIT MY BLOG

Looks cool..The gate ruins the natural ambiance.
Irshad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #73
jeevan.guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irshad View Post
Looks cool..The gate ruins the natural ambiance.
Correct. It was erected a 10 years ago.
The road (mananthavady -Panamaram Short cut) also raised to this level about 25 year ago.I remember the biggest crowd was there in this open place for the annual festival. Most of them were Tribals. But I noticed they never entered the temple. It was a big question for me in my childhood.
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #74
jeevan.guru

Old March 15th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #75
jeevan.guru

Old March 15th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #76
jeevan.guru

Old March 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #77
jeevan.guru

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #78
jeevan.guru

Thomas Cussans Painting of Wyanad. Dated 1820. Only available image of Wayanad of pre 1850 Era. Location is not identifide. This is a ghat road. Not Thamarassery churam(Non Exist then). I think it is probably Peria Churam. I understand Nick travelled through Kuttiadi (cotiot) Churam instead of Peria churam, in his travelogue. Please go for his excellent blog here.

He described the Banasura Hills in background, and tells that it may be from Makkiyad area. May not be correct in my opinion.
I will visit the same site and make a comparative photo.

source:blog of Nick Balmer

VISIT MY BLOG

sakrishna liked this post

Last edited by jeevan.guru; March 15th, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #79
riva.tholoor.philip

Likes (Received): 1090

Thanks Jeevan. Very informative
riva.tholoor.philip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #80
RKPV
GeoStatic

Likes (Received): 763

If the the view in the painting is towards North, the background scenes resembles Kuttiady ghat . The road curves almost. Makkiyad is near by . But the banasura hills should be in south part of Ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan.guru View Post
Thomas Cussans Painting of Wyanad. Dated 1820. Only available image of Wayanad of pre 1850 Era. Location is not identifide. This is a ghat road. Not Thamarassery churam(Non Exist then). I think it is probably Peria Churam. I understand Nick travelled through Kuttiadi (cotiot) Churam instead of Peria churam, in his travelogue. Please go for his excellent blog here.

He described the Banasura Hills in background, and tells that it may be from Makkiyad area. May not be correct in my opinion.
I will visit the same site and make a comparative photo.

source:blog of Nick Balmer

VISIT MY BLOG
RKPV no está en línea   Reply With Quote