search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #101
ajithv

Likes (Received): 381

SH-1/MC Road

Near Pandalam

Shot Using Nokia C7 on 30.01.2011
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #102
ajithv

SH-1/MC Road

Shot Using Nokia C7 on 30.01.2011
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #103
Sali_varakkal

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sali_varakkal View Post

testing
testing two to post images

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2824/road0ne.jpg
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #104
ajithv

NH-220

• The realignment of NH-220 is finalized,says PWD Minister.
  • As per the new alignment,it passes through Kadavur,Kundara,Kallada,Bharanikavu,Charummoodu,Chengannur and will avoid Kottarakkara
Source : Kerala Kaumudi
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #105
ajithv

Nearly 4,000 deaths in road accidents last year

Still Don't Want Wider Roads...
Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Close to 4,000 people lost their lives in road accidents in the State last year, the number having come down a bit from the recent years, Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told the Assembly on Tuesday.

Answering questions, he said the traffic pressure on the roads was increasing day by day.

Increase in vehicles

More vehicles rolled out from the showrooms each day and the roads were not expanding correspondingly.

The Police Department, with the help of the Public Works Department, was working on improving the traffic management measures on the roads.

Separate wing

He said the Police Department was also contemplating a separate wing for traffic enforcement. Over 2,400 police officials and 1,800 home guards were now in the field to control traffic and the staff strength would have to be increased.

He described the steps the department had taken to improve traffic management and traffic rules enforcement in the State.

Mr. Balakrishnan said there had been cases in which people who witnessed accidents had shown reluctance in taking the victims to hospitals fast.

Somehow it had become the practice to name as witnesses in court cases the good Samaritans who came forward to help the victims.

He said this practice, which inhibited ordinary people from responding with love and compassion, had been stopped

Special fund

The department had also placed with the Superintendent of Police in each district a special fund from which expenses incurred in taking accident victims to the hospitals could be compensated to the helping people. “There is nothing like ensuring timely help,” the Minister said.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #106
dinakar
Calicut

Likes (Received): 444

Ponnani - Vengalam 4 lane coastal highway New allignment report submitted

Costs 2425 crores
kochi-kozhikode distance will be reduce by 38 km's..
the 72 km road Starts from ponnani in malapuram dt and ends at vengalam in kozhikode district

Toll booths at barathpuzha , beypore and vengalam

The bridge across beypore port will be around 2 km and at a height of 25 meters which will allow easy access of ships to the port ( this surely will be one great structure once completed)

dinakar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #107
maheshponneth

Likes (Received): 3425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithv View Post
Still Don't Want Wider Roads...
I think careless driving is also very important issue. Most of car drivers today use mobile while they ride the car. Similarly speed also important. Another point is that some drivers are not ready to give the side when other vehicles(especially two wheelers) overtake them.

I think if the width of roads are increased, if the above mentioned mentiality is still there, the accidents will be repeated.
maheshponneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #108
Viveks
From "Trivandrum Lobby"

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshponneth View Post
I think careless driving is also very important issue. Most of car drivers today use mobile while they ride the car. Similarly speed also important. Another point is that some drivers are not ready to give the side when other vehicles(especially two wheelers) overtake them.

I think if the width of roads are increased, if the above mentioned mentiality is still there, the accidents will be repeated.
I dont think so... If the roads are getting widened, chances are high for the drivers to keep on one lane and avoid the accidents due to the over speeded vehicles approaching them. All these accidents are causing due to the unavailability of good roads.

I believe that the four laned NH's in Kerala shows the least accident rate among the total.
Viveks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #109
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 6045

Wide roads -> more speed -> more fatal accidents
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #110
simpliCITY
here and there

Likes (Received): 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinakar View Post
Ponnani - Vengalam 4 lane coastal highway New allignment report submitted

Costs 2425 crores
kochi-kozhikode distance will be reduce by 38 km's..
the 72 km road Starts from ponnani in malapuram dt and ends at vengalam in kozhikode district

Toll booths at barathpuzha , beypore and vengalam

The bridge across beypore port will be around 2 km and at a height of 25 meters which will allow easy access of ships to the port ( this surely will be one great structure once completed)
[/URL]
Great news. ! Can you post the link to the source.?
simpliCITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #111
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

I would also have said "great news". But I hate the news since it is going to be a toll road. We already have a toll highway from kozhikode to ernakulam via thrissur. This one has to be a free access road. Why can't they just develop it like those KSTP roads? This is going to face stiff opposition. A tolled 45m wide four lane road with service roads under state government? Impossible. Its going through those places where they can't acquire even 10ms for the guruvayoor railway line. Keep day dreaming.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #112
RKPV
GeoStatic

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshponneth View Post

I feel this comment is from a bike rider's view point

In most of the accidents , a 2-wheeler or a Six wheeler(Bus,Tipper or Truck) is involved.

Last edited by RKPV; February 10th, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
RKPV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #113
RKPV
GeoStatic

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
I would also have said "great news". But I hate the news since it is going to be a toll road. We already have a toll highway from kozhikode to ernakulam via thrissur. This one has to be a free access road. Why can't they just develop it like those KSTP roads? This is going to face stiff opposition. A tolled 45m wide four lane road with service roads under state government? Impossible. Its going through those places where they can't acquire even 10ms for the guruvayoor railway line. Keep day dreaming.
Exactly... Just an election stund.

It is an impractical proposal, for a 4 lane road through one of the high density populated costal area of kerala.
It can be a 2 laned road with 30 mtr width (like KSTP roads) and should make use of the existing Tirur-Kadalundy SH road as much as possible with bypasses at Tirur, Tanur and Parappangadi.
RKPV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #114
simpliCITY
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKPV View Post
I feel this comment is from a bike rider's view point

In most of the accidents , a 2-wheeler or a Six wheeler(Bus,Tipper or Truck) is involved.
I feel this comment from a car drivers view point
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #115
simpliCITY
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKPV View Post
Exactly... Just an election stund.

It is an impractical proposal, for a 4 lane road through one of the high density populated costal area of kerala.
It can be a 2 laned road with 30 mtr width (like KSTP roads) and should make use of the existing Tirur-Kadalundy SH road as much as possible with bypasses at Tirur, Tanur and Parappangadi.
I also think so. As Aslesh said it is impossible to have two parallel tolls roads. But I personally think this road have more potential than the NH 17. NH 17 will face more difficulties than this road for acquisition IMO, so shelve the NH17 project and do the Vengalam - Ponnani road.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #116
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpliCITY View Post
I also think so. As Aslesh said it is impossible to have two parallel tolls roads. But I personally think this road have more potential than the NH 17. NH 17 will face more difficulties than this road for acquisition IMO, so shelve the NH17 project and do the Vengalam - Ponnani road.
It is not a good idea to shelve NH-17 project. NH development is an all India project and we are already late in this matter. It true that this road has more potential since it is shorter. But land acquisition will be much easier on the NH-17 between Vengalam and Ponnani since it goes through less populated areas. Unlike the remaining stretches of NH-17 and NH-47 there aren't many towns and cities in between. Kozhikode already has a bypass. Kottakkal and Valanchery will have bypasses. But the other road goes through thickly populated areas. Land acquisition is almost impossible.

It is better to build it like KSTP roads. It can act as bypass for NH-17. We have two similar shorter coastal roads under KSTP: Kasargod-Kanhangad and Pilathara(near Payyannur)-Pappinisseri(near Kannur).
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #117
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 7070

State Budget 2011-2012
Quote:
തിരുവനന്തപുരം ജില്ലയിലെ പൂവാര് മുതല് മലപ്പുറം ജില്ലയിലെ പൊന്നാനി വരെയുള്ള തീരദേശ ഹൈവേയും കാസര്ക്കോട് ജില്ലയിലെ സംസ്ഥാന അതിര്ത്തിയായ പാറശ്ശാല മുതല് കൊല്ലം വരെയുള്ള മലയോര ഹൈവേയുമാണ് രണ്ട് പുതിയ പദ്ധതികള്. ഇതില് പൂവാര്-പൊന്നാനി റോഡിന് ബജറ്റില് 420 കോടി രൂപ വകയിരുത്തിയിട്ടുണ്ട്.
Anything to say on this? Not gonna happen in 10yrs!!
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #118
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Have been hearing about hill highway for so many years. Nothing has happened yet. പുതിയ പദ്ധതി പോലും. കാസര്*ഗോഡ്* ജില്ലയിലെ പാറശാലയോ?
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #119
simpliCITY
here and there

did anybody remeber last years budget proposal of 'MALABAR PACKAGE'??
enthokke bahalamayirunnu.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #120
maheshponneth

Likes (Received): 3425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
yes ofcourse aslesh. But I think, there will be more toll booths in the coming years and they earn more money from drivers. This system is already in Chennai and Mumbai. So we are trying to copy it. I expect one more toll booth after the conversion of road to 6 line.
maheshponneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote