search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #81
Santosmaria

Likes (Received): 0

Hi
Kerala famous as “God’s own country” is traveler destinations which proffer wide variety of choices. The state features flourishing green land always flowing backwaters, beaches, and gorgeous mountain peaks making the place a visitor pleasure. The resorts in Kerala are normally located in a variety of enjoyable spots, spread out across the state. These resorts are placed near the beaches, the famous Kerala backwaters, hill stations, the wildlife stations and places with historical significance.And the Goa tourism is also better than Kerala tourism.Goa is one of the most dazzling tourist destinations of India. Generally,the time from December to February are regarded as the best time to visit Goa.
Santosmaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #82
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7860

Cross posting from Kollam Tourism thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGeorge View Post
[IMG]http://i39.************/keb3o4.jpg[/IMG]
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #83
Vadakarakkaaran
I am what I am...

Likes (Received): 861

First of the seaplanes arrive Nedumbassery

Source: Online Manorama 30 may 2013
Vadakarakkaaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #84
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7860

As always protest started against seaplanes. Fisherfolks and environmentalists are planning a human chain in boats at Ashtamudi lake when our CM inaugurates Seaplane service in Kollam.

I do not know why these people are concerned only with the projects but they are no concerned against lake pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadakarakkaaran View Post
First of the seaplanes arrive Nedumbassery

Source: Online Manorama 30 may 2013
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #85
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Likes (Received): 1976

Few photographs of Kerala from National Geographic

Bakel Fort

Last edited by chekuthan; June 22nd, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
chekuthan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #86
Mrphotographist
Cool Guy

Likes (Received): 212

Mrphotographist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #87
bijuarr

Likes (Received): 365

Malampuzha Dam and Reservoir

navjot liked this post
bijuarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #88
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Out-of-box suggestions on Kerala tourism from panel of MPs
House panel says cruise tourism should be part of Incredible India campaign
Quote:
Spice route tourism and tea tourism are among the options suggested by a Parliament panel for Kerala, to attract international and Indian travellers.

A place where tourism makes for nine per cent of the gross state domestic product, Kerala is being projected as a one-stop location for at least eight types of tourism.

A report by Parliament’s standing committee on transport, tourism and culture, headed by CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury, has listed cruises, wellness, medicine, wildlife, tea, spice route, heritage and film shooting as areas for developing tourism in Kerala.

Cardamom, pepper, nutmeg, tea, coffee, clove, ginger and turmeric might assume a new meaning if spice route tourism is promoted. The committee has backed an initiative in this regard from the state. It would not only revive India’s heritage but give “a larger foothold for garnering world tourism revenue”. The other countries in the spice route would include Afghanistan, Myanmar, China, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Malaysia, Pakistan and Portugal. Kerala Tourism has proposed to link 31 spice destinations in the world, to create a new travel experience.

Also, the cruise potential of Cochin port could be included in the Incredible India campaign’, the panel has recommended. Other ports should also be explored for cruise tourism opportunities, it has said.

Pitching Munnar as one of the prime tourist destinations in India, the committee has said the widespread tea plantations are the region’s unique selling proposition. Tea tourism could be a niche area in Kerala to woo tourists for a special experience. “The tea estates and the bungalows just add another tweak to this perfect serenity.”

Although wellness tourism is already there in the state, the committee says this should be developed as a unique brand to attract tourists from over the world. “The committee would like the state and central government to come up with solution-providing ideas so that wellness tourism in Kerala is developed as a brand.”

To promote medical tourism, the panel has sought support from the Centre, especially around areas such as ayurveda, sidha and unani treatment. Also, medical visa issues need to be addressed.

While praising the state government initiative to develop wildlife and ecological tourism in Kerala, the committee wants vehicular traffic to be restricted inside the Periyar Wild Life Sanctuary. It has also recommended pollution-free and less noisy boats at the sanctuary.

As for film shooting in the state, the committee has recommended a directory of potential locations. The state should also hold workshops and tours for film production executives.

Seeking reduction in tax levels, the committee has noted that Kerala’s tourism revenue in 2012 was Rs 20,430 crore with foreign exchange earnings of Rs 4,548 crore.

ATTRACTIONS AT GOD'S OWN COUNTRY
A report by Parliament’s standing committee on transport, tourism and culture has listed these areas for developing tourism in Kerala

* Cruises
* Wellness
* Medicine
* Wildlife
* Film shooting
* Tea
* Spice route
* Heritage
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #89
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Kerala Tourism empanels creative agencies
Quote:
The empanelled agencies include Stark Communications, MediaMates Advertising and Maitri Advertising.
In its routine review of creative agencies, Kerala Tourism has empanelled three agencies to handle its creative duties. MediaMates Advertising, Maitri Advertising and Stark Communications are the three agencies that were selected for empanelment. The agencies were chosen for three categories - brands and advertising, events and digital. The state tourism department began the review process in March.

Kerala Tourism
While Stark Communications was part of the empanelled agencies earlier, the other two agencies are new entrants in the roster. Stark Communications had been handling branding and advertising, international B2B meets, international trade fairs and national PR and website design. In fact, it has won several awards for its work on Kerala Tourism.

MediaMates will handle branding and advertising duties for Kerala Tourism in the local market.

While Kerala Tourism has got the agencies on board, the first meeting to brief the agencies about their roles and expectations is yet to take place.

Kerala Tourism carries out a review of its empanelled agencies every three years. In 2010, the department carried out a 360 degree campaign, 'Your Moment is Waiting', which was supported by print, television, out of home and below-the-line activities. The campaign was aimed at foreign tourists and had a surreal feel to it.
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #90
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Three-pronged strategy to woo tourists to God’s Own Country
Quote:
A string of new initiatives to attract international visitors to Kerala seems to have energised the tourism sector.

There are mainly three recent measures adopted by Kerala Tourism that have the potential of substantially increasing arrivals from abroad.

VISA ON ARRIVAL

The first is the State Government’s decision to grant visa on arrival at the Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram international airports from Independence Day this year.

The visa-on-arrival scheme has been extended to citizens of 11 countries — Japan, Singapore, Finland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar and Indonesia.

The proposal had been approved by the Central Government. “The visa-on-arrival scheme and the convenience it offers will encourage more tourists from the targeted countries to travel to the State,” says A.P. Anil Kumar, Kerala’s Minister for Tourism.

According to him, the State Government had taken up the matter with the Centre several months ago.

The final decision was taken at the third meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Tourism. The committee gave its go-ahead for the scheme at five airports in the country, including Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram.

The Union Home Ministry stamped its approval after the Kerala Department of Tourism took up the matter with Mullappally Ramachandran, Union Minister of State for Home. K. C. Venugopal, Minister of State for Civil Aviation, played a leading role in putting in place the facilities required to implement the scheme at the two airports.

WEB SITE ON RAIN

The second initiative by Kerala Tourism is a Web site http://when-it-rains.com launched to give potential visitors around the world a ‘monsoon experience” even before they land in the State.

People from across the world browsing the Internet for a peep into the State’s pristine destinations now need only ‘gesture’ to navigate the new Web site, instead of using a mouse, track pad or keyboard.

“It is the first time that a tourism board in the country has launched a gesture-controlled Web site to promote tourism,” says Kumar. The Web site takes a user straight to the rain-washed plains, misty hills and the majestic backwaters through a gesture-based interface.

Launched as a part of the monsoon campaign by Kerala Tourism, it is one of the few tourism Web sites in the world to use the gesture-controlled technology.

Visually, stunning images of the monsoon shot by Facebook fans of Kerala Tourism are used on the new Web site, developed by Stark Communications, the official marketing and communications agency.

The Web site tracks movements and gestures made by a user in front of a Webcam and responds to them, giving a user-friendly experience.

“The new technology available today like the gesture-controlled feature on our new Web site plays an important role in linking destinations with the people,” says Suman Billa, Secretary, Kerala Tourism. “Interestingly, the new Web site is a combination of innovative technology and the fascinating experiences of the fans of Kerala around the world,” adds Billa.

Hari Kishore, Director, Kerala Tourism, the gesture-controlled Web site is ‘yet another step in extending to the world the many experiences that Kerala can offer to a visitor’.

The Facebook post on the new Web site, which has already recorded over a lakh visits, has been seen by about eight lakh people so far.

HERITAGE AND PEACE

The third initiative by the Department of Tourism is its efforts to promote heritage and peace through the revival of the two millennia-old ‘spice route’ from Kerala to the West.

This was formally launched at an international conference organised early August in China by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.

Billa took part in the four-day event on ‘Silk Tourism’ at the invitation of the UN organisation. It was held at the northwestern city of Dunhuang during August 1-3.

He presented a paper on ‘Protecting heritage and promoting peace through the Spice Route initiative’.

Billa says: “At the conference, I emphasised on the importance of reviving the ancient Spice Route that linked 31 countries in Asia and Europe with India, particularly Kerala, as the major hub.” He received the support of Zoltan Somogyi, Executive Director (member relations and services), and Xu Jing, Regional Director for Asia and the Pacific of the organisation. Both Xu and Zomogyi had visited Kerala in April this year.

“Both the senior officials expressed their interest in our Spice Tourism initiative and extended full support on behalf of the UN organisation,” said Billa, who believes that the revival of the Spice Route will increase tourist arrivals from across the world, especially from the countries linked to the route.

Last year, he had made a presentation on the Spice Route project at meeting of the organisation in Spain.
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #91
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Kerala Institute of Tourism and Travel Studies gets new academic block in its Silver Jubilee year

Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: In its silver jubilee year, Kerala Institute of Travel and Tourism Studies has added new infrastructure, an academic block and a girls' hostel, and is well on its way to becoming a premier institute for travel and tourism studies.

KITTS established by the ministry of tourism, government of Kerala on World Tourism Day in 1988 was recently declared as the nodal agency for rolling out responsible tourism initiatives in the state.

Until last week, KITTS functioned in a 200-year-old heritage building which is badly in need of renovation. The institution had sought Rs 5 crore from the Union government last year to renovate the structure, but was not allotted any. The director of KITTS Dr Rajashree Ajith said the institution will request for funds again and hope they will be granted the money. KITTS has already won the confidence of the Centre by successfully implementing the Hunar Se Rozgar Tak scheme - a skill development training programme aimed at employing youth from the economically weaker section - with 1380 students successfully completing the programme. The institution received a central grant of rupees 1crore 60 lakhs for conducting the programme last year and has allotted Rs 7 cr to train 7560 students this year.

The newly inaugurated academic block has 30 units that include 19 classrooms, an auditorium, library, departments, administration, etc in 35,000 sq feet. The two storey KITTS ladies hostel constructed at a cost of Rs 2 cr 36 lakh was completed within the year and can hold 61 students. "Good quality infrastructure is needed to ensure KITTS' growth from a centre for national learning to a centre for international excellence," said Suman Billa, secretary tourism.

KITTS was accredited by United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), the agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism in October. "The affiliation gives KITTS the access to UNWTO's knowledge network and KITTS' views will be incorporated when it comes to formulating policy decisions that affect the state. KITTS' tourism-related business administration courses are also being restructured to meet international requirements," said Ajith.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:44 AM   #92
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Kerala Tourism bags Conde Nast award

Quote:
INDIA - The new award category introduced by the prestigious international travel magazine in its travel awards recognises the significant contribution by Kerala Tourism to the travel industry and its important efforts to put India on the global travel map.

Kerala Tourism Minister A.P. Anil Kumar described the award as a “big recognition” of the state’s sustained global campaign pitching ‘God’s Own Country’ as a “must-see” destination in the world.

“With an abundant natural beauty, a pleasant weather and warm hospitality and services, Kerala has emerged as a world class tourist destination, representing the country well abroad,” he added.

Aimed at recognising and honouring the best in the travel, tourism and hospitality industry, the Conde Nast Travel awards are decided by its global readers. Kerala Tourism had won the CNBC Awaaz award for the ‘Best Travel and Tourism State’ last month.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM   #93
chekuthan
che-kut-han

ഹെല്*ത്ത് ടൂറിസം 2013’ ഒക്റ്റോബര്* 31 മുതല്* കൊച്ചിയില്* - See more at: http://www.metrovaartha.com/2013/08/....MSoLSVsL.dpuf

Quote:
ഹെല്*ത്ത് ടൂറിസം 2013’ ഒക്റ്റോബര്* 31 മുതല്* കൊച്ചിയില്*
Published : Saturday, August 31, 2013 | Text Size
Email Facebook Google + Orkut Tweet Blogger ShareThis

കോഴിക്കോട്

കോണ്*ഫെഡറേഷന്* ഓഫ് ഇന്ത്യന്* ഇന്*ഡ്സ്ട്രിയുടെ ആഭിമുഖ്യത്തില്* ് “ഹെല്*ത്ത് ടൂറിസം 2013’ കൊച്ചി ലേ മെറിഡയനില്* ഒക്റ്റോബര്* 31 മുതല്* നവംബര്* രണ്ടുവരെ നടക്കും.

ഇന്ത്യന്* ചിക്തിസാനുബന്ധ ടൂറിസം മേഖലയിലെ പ്രശ്നങ്ങളും സാധ്യതകളും പുത്തന്* പ്രവണതയും, ഇന്ത്യന്* ആശുപത്രികളുടെ തയ്യാറെടുപ്പിനെക്കുറിച്ചുള്ള വിലയിരുത്തലുകള്* എന്നിവ കേരള ഹെല്*ത്ത് ടൂറിസം സമ്മേളനത്തിന്*റെ ഭാഗമായി നടക്കും. ആരോഗ്യ ഇന്*ഷ്വറന്*സ് കമ്പനികള്*, നയരൂപീകരണത്തില്* പങ്കു വഹിക്കുന്ന രാഷ്ട്രീയ നേതൃത്വം, ടൂറിസം പ്രോത്സാഹിപ്പിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥാപനങ്ങള്*, ചികിത്സാനുബന്ധ യാത്രകളും വിനോദ യാത്രകളും സംഘടിപ്പിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥാപനങ്ങള്*, ചികിത്സാനുബന്ധ ടൂറിസം പ്രചരിപ്പിക്കുന്ന അന്താരാഷ്ട്ര സ്ഥാപനങ്ങള്* എന്നിവയുടെ പൊതു വേദിയായി കെഎച്ച്ടി 2013 മാറും ഇത് നാലാം തവണയാണ് ഹെല്*ത്ത് ടൂറിസം സമ്മേളനം സംഘടിപ്പിക്കുന്നത്. 2011ലാണ് മൂന്നാമത് കെഎച്ച്ടി നടന്നത്. കേരളത്തിലെ ആശുപത്രികളില്* എത്തുന്ന ചികിത്സാനുബന്ധ ടൂറിസ്റ്റുകളുടെ എണ്ണത്തില്* മുപ്പതു മുതല്* നാല്*പ്പത് ശതമാനം വരെ വര്*ദ്ധനവിന് ഇത് കാരണമായിട്ടുണ്ട്.

കെഎച്ച്ടി 2013നോടുബന്ധിച്ച് നടക്കുന്ന പ്രദര്*ശനത്തിന്*റെ ഭാഗമായി മെഡി എക്യുപ് എന്ന പേരില്* പ്രത്യേക പ്രദര്*ശനവും നടക്കും. രാജ്യത്തിനകത്തു നിന്നും പുറത്തു നിന്നുമായി 400നും 500നും ഇടയില്* പ്രതിനിധികള്* പങ്കെടുക്കും 2000 സന്ദര്*ശകരെയും പ്രതീക്ഷിക്കുന്നുണ്ടെന്ന് കെഎച്ച്ടി 2013 കണ്*വീനര്* ഡോ. ആസാദ് മൂപ്പന്*, കോണ്*ഫെഡറേഷന്* ഓഫ് ഇന്ത്യന്* ഇന്*ഡസ്ട്രി ചീഫ് എക്സിക്യുട്ടീവ് സജി മാത്യു എന്നിവര്* പങ്കെടുത്തു.
- See more at: http://www.metrovaartha.com/2013/08/....MSoLSVsL.dpuf
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:40 AM   #94
chekuthan
che-kut-han

മാലിന്യനിര്*മാര്*ജനം തൊഴിലുറപ്പ് പദ്ധതിയില്* ഉള്*പ്പെടുത്താന്* ശിപാര്*ശ
http://www.madhyamam.com/news/242226/130827
Quote:

ന്യൂദല്*ഹി: വിനോദ സഞ്ചാര കേന്ദ്രങ്ങളിലെ മാലിന്യനീക്കം ദേശീയ തൊഴിലുറപ്പ് പദ്ധതിയില്* ഉള്*പ്പെടുത്തണമെന്ന് പാര്*ലമെന്*ററി സമിതി ശിപാര്*ശ. സീതാറാം യെച്ചൂരി ചെയര്*മാനായ ടൂറിസവുമായി ബന്ധപ്പെട്ട പാര്*ലമെന്*ററി കമ്മിറ്റി കേരളത്തിലെ ടൂറിസം വികസനവുമായി ബന്ധപ്പെട്ട് മുന്നോട്ടുവെച്ച റിപ്പോര്*ട്ടിലാണ് ശിപാര്*ശ.
ടൂറിസം വികസനത്തിന് വടക്കുകിഴക്കന്* സംസ്ഥാനങ്ങളിലെ മാതൃക പിന്തുടര്*ന്ന് കേരളം അയല്*സംസ്ഥാനങ്ങളുമായി ചേര്*ന്ന് ‘ഗോള്*ഡന്* ട്രയാങ്ക്ള്* മൊഡ്യൂള്*’ ഉണ്ടാക്കണം. ആലപ്പുഴയിലെ കായല്* ടൂറിസം സാധ്യത പൂര്*ണമായും ഉപയോഗപ്പെടുത്തണം.ഇതിനായി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന് കേന്ദ്ര സഹായം അനുവദിക്കണം. മുസരിസ് പൈതൃക പദ്ധതി, ടീ ടൂറിസം, മൂന്നാറിലേക്ക് റെയില്*വേ, റോപ് വേ സൗകര്യം തുടങ്ങിയവ വേഗത്തില്* നടപ്പാക്കണം എന്നീ നിര്*ദേശങ്ങളും സമിതി റിപ്പോര്*ട്ടിലുണ്ട്.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM   #95
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Gavi

Quote:
Source:- http://www.mathrubhumi.com/yathra/de...975/index.html

ഗവിയിലൂടെ ഒരു ജംഗിള്* സഫാരി

പത്തനംതിട്ടയില്*, കെ.എസ്.ആര്*.ടി.സി ബസ്സ്സ്റ്റാന്*ഡില്* ഡ്രൈവര്* ജയന് കൈകൊടുത്തു നന്ദി പറഞ്ഞിറങ്ങുമ്പോള്* അസൂയ തോന്നുന്നുണ്ടായിരുന്നു. കാരണം അടിക്കടി അയാളീ റൂട്ടിലാണല്ലോ ബസ്സോടിക്കുന്നത്.

jebinjo liked this post
chekuthan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #96
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 7001

Top five breathtaking infinity pools in India
Quote:
Mumbai, Sep 1 (IANS): Dipping in luxurious and breathtaking pools in foreign locations is one way to relax. But now the same experience can be had in India too. Know the top five pools and pick according to your taste.

Infinity pools are synonymous with luxury and beauty, as they merge with the horizon, these pools are one of the best ways to relax and enjoy magnificent views.

Hotels.com, the global hotel bookings expert, has drawn up a list of five beautiful infinity pools in hotels across India where one can enjoy different views.

Here are the top five breathtaking infinity pools in India:

- Taj Malabar, Kochi, Kerala: It gives you the illusion of merging with the waters of the magnificent Kochi harbor.

- Alila Diwa, Goa: One can enjoy soaking in the lush green paddy fields of Goa here.

- Wildflower Hall, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh: At 8,250 feet above sea level, the infinity pool here extends into the magnificent Himalayan mountain ranges.

- Kumarakom Lake Resort, Kumarakom, Kerala: It merges with the Vembanad Lake here.

- Kurumba Village Resort, Coonoor, Tamil Nadu: The infinity pool stretches out to the lush green valley in the Nilgiris.

KB335ci2 liked this post
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #97
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 7001

PPP: Magic Mantra of Kerala Tourism

[IMG]http://i41.************/2wfpbo7.jpg[/IMG]
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:53 PM   #98
navjot
Proud to be an Indian

Likes (Received): 1081

The figures for Alappuzha district(Domestic) seens much lesser than what i expected..
navjot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #99
chekuthan
che-kut-han

Quote:
The ongoing Muziris Heritage project is adding to the prospects of Kerala Tourism and taking this into account, the government has decided to form a company. In the beginning it will be a government owned company, which would later function on a PPP mode.
സംസ്ഥാനത്തെ വിനോദസഞ്ചാര മേഖലയുടെ വികസനത്തിന് മുസിരീസ് പൈതൃക കേന്ദ്രത്തിന്റെ നടത്തിപ്പിന് സര്*ക്കാര്* മേഖലയില്* കമ്പനി രൂപീകരിക്കും. തുടര്*ന്ന് ഇത് സര്*ക്കാര്*-സ്വകാര്യ സംയുക്ത സംരംഭമാക്കി മാറ്റും.
source: https://www.facebook.com/oommenchandy.official
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #100
chekuthan
che-kut-han

‘Kerala Tourism Ministry is keen to promote the state as a MICE and Adventure destination’ - A P Anilkumar, Minister for Tourism, Govt. of Kerala

Quote:
The Kerala government is exploring various avenues of tourism development with initiatives like the Seaplane and Muziris Heritage projects, and the recently launched Middle East Campaign. A P Anilkumar, Minister for Tourism and Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Backward Castes, Govt. of Kerala, speaks to Anish V Punnackattu about the projects, tourism development plans, and the 29th Convention of the Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO) to be held in the state

How important are the Seaplane and Muziris Heritage projects for tourism development?
A. The Seaplane Project is designed to connect key Backwater Tourism destinations across the state, including Ashtamudi in Kollam, Punnamada in Alappuzha, Kumarakom in Kottayam, and Bekal in Kasaragod districts. Besides bringing down travel time for tourists, it will offer panoramic views of the lush green landscape of Kerala and provide tourists a new experience. Regular operations of the service are expected to begin by end of this month.

The Muziris Heritage Project is an endeavour by the Kerala government to showcase the history and heritage of the first century BC port that was once a thriving trade centre and a gateway to India for distinct religious faiths. The first phase of the Project will be completed soon, following which it will be the strongest heritage circuit in India. We are also working with UNWTO for their support and guidance for the Spice Route initiative, in which Muziris is an important destination.

Q. Which are the new tourism products and target segments?
A. Kerala is well known for its unique offerings like backwaters and Ayurveda, which will continue to drive traffic to the state in the future too. We are now looking at new products like Adventure Tourism, and Monsoon Holidays which will add to our state’s attractions. Kerala has the potential to become a major player in the country’s Adventure-Tourism circuit and given the state’s intrinsic natural attractions, Ecotourism too holds great promise for the future.

We are also keen to promote Kerala as a MICE Tourism destination with its unique settings for conferences by the beaches, backwaters and hill stations, and innovative incentive holidays.

What is the focus for tourism development in the current financial year?
A. In the current financial year, Kerala Tourism is looking to develop new tourism destinations and products and undertake infrastructure development at key destinations. We are working closely with the private sector in developing new destinations across the state.

This fiscal, we are also encouraging private investments in tourism, keeping in mind the principles and practices of sustainability. The success of Kerala Tourism is mainly due to the synergy between the private and public sectors. The government acts as a catalyst and facilitator for a favourable environment for private investment. Subsidies will be introduced for units following Responsible Tourism practices.

Last month, we launched the Middle East Campaign, targeting travellers from Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Arab travellers are generally high spenders and they are the kind of visitors we want to attract through this Campaign.

Which are the new target markets for Inbound and Domestic Tourism?
A. On the international front, we are tapping new markets like the USA, Japan and Finland. The Government of India’s Visa on Arrival (VoA) scheme for visitors from 11 countries will also significantly help boost arrivals. Domestically, Kerala Tourism is looking at increasing arrivals from Tier-II and III cities.

Q. What is your expectation from IATO Convention 2013?
A. This year’s IATO Convention will significantly contribute to the growth of tourism in India. It will also give the industry a new direction. I’m sure the event will be extremely fruitful.